• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RL Black Label and Gucci fit compared to Canali and Armani- for interview with stylish company execs

HK Ace

Reaction score
Hi guys, I can't find a place here to try on RL Black Label or Gucci suits. I like the leaner cut suits and 42R in Armani and Canali fit me quite well. I am 5'11" and 180 lbs. Does anyone know if the RL Black Labels (Anthony) and Gucci suits fit when compared to Canali and Armani? Someone said to go for a 44R in Gucci due to its thinner cut/shoulders but I am not sure so would look for a good return policy if I found one online on sale. RL Purple Label may be out due to its boxier cut.

I see a few RL Black Labels on sale and the timing would be great to grab one. I have an important out-of-town interview coming up. I'll be spending three days with the executive team. The CEO and his team are young and wear stylish suits and shoes...not the conservative suits. I see Ferrgamo and Bally shoes on them. The CEO had on some amazing shoes but I could not figure out what. They were shoe Appreciation worthy, and far nicer than my Ferragamos. His watch was a fantastic wind up vintage IWC one day and maybe a Zenith of some kind the other day. He wears the higher-end Gucci suits, so I figure I cannot go wrong with my choices. Well, except for my Titanium Seiko maybe. I should prob just lose my watch. ;)

I prefer lean cut or Italian cut suits myself and can't stand the boxy look, so am focusing on these brands. I can't afford a custom-made suit just yet either, nor do I have the time to do that before my interview that starts on the 20th of this month.

Lastly, I see some nice Kitons but that higherlapel notch and 3-to-so roll seems a bit too different for me...just not used to it. Good looking suits though. I have searched and read many threads, and am learning so much about style and clothes here.

Thanks!

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I would recommend spending more time on preparing for the actual interview than focusing on these lifestyle brands. Focus on the fit (and quality if you want it to last), not what label it has. You can also do better than Armani and Gucci.

RLBL is the slimmest cut you mention here. I'd estimate it's about 1.5-2 inches trimmer in the chest circumference than a Canali (comparing the average RLBL 40R to a Canali 40R). Also has a bigger "drop" in the waist and much slimmer pants.

RLPL is definitely not boxy, but more similar measurements to Canali.

Others to look at if you want slim:

Pal Zileri
Corneliani and diffusion brands
Caruso

Corneliani and Caruso actually make all of Ralph Laurens suits

Last edited:

HK Ace

Reaction score
Recommendation appreciated. Thanks for the insightful feedback. I will look into all these brands. I actually do want my suits to last and take good care of my clothes (I do need shoe trees though) and they last for a log time. Thing is that I don't have much money to spare right now due to some heavy family/parental needs. So I'll look for sales. I will pick up at least one Canali since it is slightly more traditional and fits well. Pants are a bit loose but it is a good traditional fit without being too boxy.

As far as the job goes, I'm pretty confident though this is the final round. This has been going on for three months...started from 22 and now down to me for sure. Otherwise, they would not pay for me to be there for five days. 2.5 days of interviewing and 2 days of skiing and socializing. Prepared I am...have been preparing for four months just for this.

I just realized that I am significantly under-dressed than the rest of them. I was so caught up in the work that I did not realize it till this last meeting. It sort of made me feel a bit awkward. I don't want to feel that way again. I also need some nice dress shirts.

Anyway, thank you for taking the time to reply to my post. Your time and input is greatly appreciated.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Recommendation appreciated.  Thanks for the insightful feedback.  I will look into all these brands.  I actually do want my suits to last and take good care of my clothes (I do need shoe trees though) and they last for a log time.  Thing is that I don't have much money to spare right now due to some heavy family/parental needs.  So I'll look for sales.  I will pick up at least one Canali since it is slightly more traditional and fits well.  Pants are a bit loose but it is a good traditional fit without being too boxy. 

Check out the B&S classifieds here for good deals.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads