Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Rivolta in Milan

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Naturlaut II, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Naturlaut II

Naturlaut II Senior member

Tried Rivolta recently. I first read about it from permanentstyle's blog and paid the shop a visit. The setup was interesting, to say the least, as it was smack in the middle of the fashion district (across from D&G on via Spiga) with an equally modern but well organized shop, displaying some old shoes and tools along with some new samples.

The owner (?) is a nice lady who runs the shop with her niece. She was there when I visited and assisted in the entire process. First was the design of the shoe, which was done on a large touch screen where I was shown the exact style and color of the shoe in real time. I was a little confused in the beginning as I thought I was designing the shoe from scratch. Apparently you have to limit your creativity to what the program offers, but there were more than plenty to work on. I selected a Norvegian in green suede. Most of the models are more classically Italian (read: NOT Stefano Branchini or Berluti) and if you play your cards right there are quite a number of very elegant models.

The shoes, as far as I could skim information while I was there, were made in collaboration with Stefano Bemer - or at least the same factory that also makes the ready-made models for Bemer. I don't know how things are after Bemer left. In any case, the fitting process came next, where I had to put my feet, one at a time, in a scanner and scanned three times each. A computer is connected to it and a couple minutes later I saw my measurements on the screen. They will be made into resin lasts.

It will take 5, 6 weeks to complete the shoe. Even though, in all fairness, I have never receive the same, identical fitting from different shoemakers, I wonder whether computer will really be more 'accurate'. JM Weston used to have a similar system years ago but the project was abandoned. As of this moment, I don't think many had tried Rivolta yet.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Naturlaut II

Just received an email that my shoes will be ready in mid-Feb! Will be back for review and pics.

3. comrade

comrade Senior member

The last shoe is beautiful.

4. Fishball

Fishball Senior member

They had a trunk show in Hong Kong last year, and I think they also have a "office" in HK.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2013

5. Naturlaut II

Yes, I have since met with other people of the team but I haven't visited the showroom in Hong Kong yet. My shoes were supposed to be ready but I think there is a bit of delay and mid-Feb was the last update I heard from them. I think this is still a very artisanal company so I rather enjoy the personal touch. I also had lunch after the fitting with the owner lady while in Milan and it was then I realized they worked with Stefano Bemer.

6. chobochobo

chobochobo Rubber Chicken Dubiously Honored Moderator

Nice to see you posting again.

7. Naturlaut II

I'll be back in HK for a couple of concerts in March and am thinking of putting together an event with Rivolta - since my shoes should be due around then. How's the showroom there? You don't think they can fit a piano in there, do you? Let me know if there's meetup in HK coming up.

8. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

You’ll need a pretty big space to fit 308 cm (10 ft 2 in) of grand piano:

http://www.fazioli.com/en/pianoforti/model/f308

9. Naturlaut II