1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

RISING SUN denim store in Pasadena (LA)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Get Smart, Aug 20, 2006.

1. aizan

aizan Senior member

biscuits are crumbly. how are you supposed to mop up the sauce?

2. shaftoe

shaftoe Senior member

What abour cornbread? That's pretty much why I stuck to Robin's over by Rosemead and the 210: BBQ deserves some good cornbread. Maybe you should blog about that.

Robin's cornbread is good, I like the blueberries. Roscoe's used to have the best cornbread in town until they went to those little muffins instead of the big 'ol slab.

3. jet

jet Senior member

Bandera has sick cornbread, warm and moist with jalapeno inside served with a side of chunky guac and brushetta or some shit.

4. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

biscuits are crumbly. how are you supposed to mop up the sauce?

I dont like Q when it's covered in sauce, the rub and the cooking should create enough flavor where you dont need to cover it in sauce (just enough to add some more kick) and hence arent left with puddles of sauce to "mop it up". Cornbread or biscuits are just rad alongside good barbeque, not used as bbq cumrags the way white bread is

5. Mauro

Mauro Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Washington, DC and a few months out of the year in
    I think the white bread double as a face napkin.
    I think corn bread is a good side.
    Biscuit nope not havin it.
    I think a biscuit is good with gravy or greens NOT BBQ

6. kiya

kiya Senior member Affiliate Vendor

This may be my favorite post here in a long while.

7. driveslowk

driveslowk Senior member

I think corn bread is a good side.
    Biscuit nope not havin it.
    I think a biscuit is good with gravy or greens NOT BBQ

You will change your mind when you go to Lucille's, my friend.

8. aizan

aizan Senior member

I dont like Q when it's covered in sauce, the rub and the cooking should create enough flavor where you dont need to cover it in sauce (just enough to add some more kick) and hence arent left with puddles of sauce to "mop it up". Cornbread or biscuits are just rad alongside good barbeque, not used as bbq cumrags the way white bread is
    you should really check out bludso's. on the weekend, they have angus ribs that are spectacular without sauce. brisket, too, which is sliced very thin and against the grain, a stroke of genius. i only have sauce with pork, where i appreciate a bit of sweet and spicy. their hot sauce is worth sacrificing bbq purity. =) they also have good cornbread, if you want it.

9. poly800rock

poly800rock Senior member

Weird. I guess Jas and I never updated this thread (or at least our opinions) but mentioned this shop on other threads.

The shop itself is pretty cool for its displays and for doing on-site chainstitching. I wish I could say that about the jeans themselves and the owner. I feel bad about talking negatively about a place that on paper would be perfect for people like us, especially when there are so very few shops like this in the US in general, but damn. I simply can not justify their pricepoints for OTR jeans, not when they're just using regular Cone redline selvage and "jazzing it up" with hidden back pocket rivets.

The owner himself just rubbed me the wrong way (Jas can back me up.) I think their slogan will speak volumes about what I mean: Simply The Best Jeans For The Money.

What really confuses me is who their targeted consumer is. I can only imagine it being the guy who likes denim enough (and has enough money) to pay more than the average "premium" jean, hell, into Dior/45rpm price territory, for something more exclusive yet does zero research into denim in general. Cone puts out some solid shit and I stand by it (and in it, literally, these days) but >$300 for a cut and features that other people do with better denim is crazy. Crate and Hope are great examples of companies doing similar things with the same denim at FAR more reasonable prices.

I never saw the owner, but had the pleasure of being there 3 time in the past two weeks. To be fair here, they're not just using regular cone redline selvedge, they're using the white oak, and to add to that pricepoint, the organic version of the denim which told by the cute sa is pricier, makes sense. Idk, price point isn't ridiculous, it was a tad under 300 for the cut I was looking at, and she had mentioned that there are plans to use a regular white oak selvedge denim to bring the price down in the future, perhaps hitting the target market in the area.

10. raginberriodoom

raginberriodoom Senior member

i really would've loved to work there for a summer job. even called in to ask, but too bad they are not hiring [​IMG].

11. whodini

whodini Senior member

To be fair here, they're not just using regular cone redline selvedge, they're using the white oak, and to add to that pricepoint, the organic version of the denim which told by the cute sa is pricier, makes sense.
    Just curious but do you actually know how much their denim is per yard? It's nice that they're using "the best" but c'mon, you know what $300 denim (or $500+ if we're talking mtm) looks like; do they "feel" or "look" like $300 jeans? I know that's throwing in some personal bias but the people I know who consistently wear Cone do so because they're sticking to their USA guns or they're hardcore Levi's enthusiasts (not that there's anything wrong with either, just different strokes). Obviously, when you throw in something unique like the narrow width overdyed white oak with the cvsf jeans you can make the argument that Japan doesn't completely have the denim market cornered; still, there's a reason why people keep going back to Japanese brands and it's not just the variety of denim over there, either. What I'm saying is that after sampling the 31 flavors of the denim rainbow, justifying the purchase of those jeans to me would be like forking over for some really fucking expensive vanilla. Also, not to criticize them for going "all out" with their game plan but what percentage of the population do you think knows about Cone, let alone knows their denim so well as to be familiar with Cone to be able to distinguish the difference between regular Cone, white oak, and organic white oak? It's this super niche crowd they're playing to that has always dumbfounded Get Smart and me but again, it's their business and Mike knows what he's doing. BTW, the bit about the "organic white oak" must be new because out of the times that Get Smart or I have been in there and have told Mike or his wife that we are familiar with Cone not once did they correct us or made the distinction in the exact denim they used. It makes me wonder if they switched over to something better to justify the price because GS and I could swear it looked and felt like the same stuff Glory used for their jeans. I'm not hating on Cone, I own several pairs their stuff from their regular selvage to their white oak, and I'm not hating on the store...sorta. As an informed consumer I just don't understand what is special enough about those jeans to warrant or justify their addition to my collection considering the asking price. And that SA is Mike's wife. She and he are the only people running the place tmk.
    i really would've loved to work there for a summer job. even called in to ask, but too bad they are not hiring [​IMG].
    See above.

12. airportlobby

airportlobby Senior member

I know they serve white bread with BBQ as being "authentic" but fuck that, try it with a good buttermilk bisquit and you'll never go back to wonderbread again. That's one thing SoCal did right to make something good even better, lord knows there isnt much that we do out here that is right, but this is one of em

Central Texas BBQ, which, of course reigns supreme, tends to be heavy on brisket and sausage, so having a bag of Mrs. Bairds handy makes sense - insta-sandwiches. (Also, note that the correct non-alcoholic beverage pairing in Texas is Big Red.)

13. onion

onion Senior member

14. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

^^ cool articles and all, but at the end of the day Rising Sun just isnt making anything that I find interesting. As Who puts it, they are making a $20 scoop of vanilla ice cream. And I like vanilla, and I want to like this store more than I do as it's really nicely put together, is close to home and I've seen his back room which has a lot of cool equipment.

in the article they showed his old school Singer sewing machine, there is an All Saints shop in London that has like 20 of those as their front window display, it's pretty awesome.

15. driveslowk

driveslowk Senior member

^ it's so much more pleasant looking through the allsaints website than their store. turned me off for some reason

16. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

back to food in Pasadena, anyone try Elements Kitchen right next to Rising Sun?

place is really good, but pricey for lunch. Have had their steak sandwich and Mac n Cheese there, both damn tasty. on the high side at about $15 ea but worth it if you dont mind the higher than average cost.

17. grundletaint

grundletaint Senior member

Central Texas BBQ, which, of course reigns supreme, tends to be heavy on brisket and sausage, so having a bag of Mrs. Bairds handy makes sense - insta-sandwiches. (Also, note that the correct non-alcoholic beverage pairing in Texas is Big Red.)

word

18. driveslowk

driveslowk Senior member

back to food in Pasadena, anyone try Elements Kitchen right next to Rising Sun?

place is really good, but pricey for lunch. Have had their steak sandwich and Mac n Cheese there, both damn tasty. on the high side at about $15 ea but worth it if you dont mind the higher than average cost.

we should just make a big LA/OC/Pasadena food thread.

19. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

I like keeping it in here, keeps the punters out.

it's like our "thread that's not the thread thread".

every 20 posts or so we'll mention denim and Rising Sun just to keep it legit

20. driveslowk

driveslowk Senior member

so if I visit old town pasadena for a day trip

- gus bbq
    - that little old town area
    - def philly cheeseteaks at fredos

im most likely going to do this next month