• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RISING SUN denim store in Pasadena (LA)

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by retronotmetro
Sounds like you've eaten at Tacos Del Amigo in Omotesando/Harajuku.

dood, actually it WAS in harajuku where I had the whack *** tacos!!!! good call!

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
dood, actually it WAS in harajuku where I had the whack *** tacos!!!! good call!

laugh.gif

That may be the only place I have ever had the desire to tell a restaurateur to their face that THEIR PLACE ******* SUCKS.

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by prima
its getting boring lurking, so i figured what better time for a first post than a discussion about food in the san gabriel/pasadena area? (there's nothing good where i live, san marino, hah)

Julienne in San Marino is pretty amazing for brunch. but i shouldn't even be taking to you. Go Tigers!!!!!!! SPHS, Class of '90. heh heh.

-Jeff

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sygyzy
King Taco gets my vote but what the heck are they doing in Old Pas? Talk about out of place. Go to the East LA location for some good fun,
Hey, when I'm in the mood for Mexican after last call on the weekends I tend not to question their location methods. Although I do question why they close the bathrooms after midnight...

roqinrod

Reaction score
so me and the fiance are walking around Old Town Pasadena today and we walk by a storefront that has a couple big signs saying "Rising Sun Denim & Co Tailors Coming Soon - Premium Denim - Men & Women"......hmmm now this is interesting. I wonder if it is some brand called "rising sun" or if it's a reference to carrying cool esoteric Japanese brands a la B.I.G.????? Will they chainstitch new hem lengths in-house?????

It's on Fair Oaks about half block south of Green St. Am curious to see what this place is.

To answer the above quoters ?, That would be" Rising Sun Denim & Tailor Co."
located @ Dayton & Fair Oaks ave,
Mike Hodis formerly head demin master @ "Lucky Brand Jeans" & his lovely wife Jennifer decided to strike out & do a lil shop of their own.

This store will target the upsale buyer seeking a premium form fitting,hand tailored jeans with many choices of washes as well as input in the mfg'g process. For reference Mike has been employed in the denim industry for 15 yrs and works with many of name brand mfg's on a consulting level regarding weave patterns etc,

Rest assured that all will be impressed when one 1st steps foot into "Rising Sun" from the leather covered floor to the antique store fixtures to the window dressings. One will not be dissapointed.

Mike has collaborated with me personally on my companies (Cyclone Racing Equip) line of cotton wear and we have had very nice results.
The retail store is set to open late Nov early Dec 06, so keep an eye open & when taking a stroll past, If Mike is in there, stop in & introduce yourself,
It will be well worth the time. As Mike would say, This stuff is gonna be off the hook!
Kevin

sygyzy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
The Malaysian place on Green is called Kuala Lampur. Used to be a regular place (about once every two weeks) for me. The coffee drink there is really pretty decent as well.

One place you've all gotta go for a coffee and an awesome fig custard tart, (which must be tried if you've never gone, or blueberry brioche, which used to be breakfast 3 days a week for me) is Europane, on Colorado about three blocks east of Lake.. If the owner (Sumi) is in, tell her that Fok and Jen say hi.

RyeGB, I'll look out for your collection, either at Villains when I go to SF in December, or at Blue Bee. Don't think I'll be back in LA before then.

As for the retail scene in Pasadena, it's pretty dead, although there is a decent streetwear place (lots of Stussy) called Greyone on Walnut (iirc).

Per your recommendation, I went to Europane for lunch on Saturday with a friend. I don't really "get" what this place is trying to be. If you look through a camera lens specifically at the counter with it's nicely finished wood menu hanging behind, you'd think this is some seriously fancy bakery. Something you might find in Beverly Hills. Then you step back a bit and notice that the tables are all over the place, the staff is extremely rude and makes you repeat literally everything you've ordered twice (coffee. what? coffee. sandwhich. what? sandwhich). It's in a dirty stripmall and not the "oh boy, let me tell you of a secret hole in the wall" type of stripmall.

I ordered their specialty - open faced egg salad sandwhich. It was good. Really good. They didn't make any effort with their garnish/side though. I basically paid $8 or $9 for a sandwhich. Not even an orange wedge? Their berry iced tea was ok. Their iced coffee surprisingly was really good as was their eclaire.

Anyway, in the end, I am confused. I mean are you supposed to be a serious bakery/eatery or a slummy one? Because if it's the latter, I can go to half a dozen "neighborhood" places that will give me the same ****** service and decor.

sygyzy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by roqinrod
To answer the above quoters ?, That would be" Rising Sun Denim & Tailor Co."
located @ Dayton & Fair Oaks ave,
Mike Hodis formerly head demin master @ "Lucky Brand Jeans" & his lovely wife Jennifer decided to strike out & do a lil shop of their own.

This store will target the upsale buyer seeking a premium form fitting,hand tailored jeans with many choices of washes as well as input in the mfg'g process. For reference Mike has been employed in the denim industry for 15 yrs and works with many of name brand mfg's on a consulting level regarding weave patterns etc,

Rest assured that all will be impressed when one 1st steps foot into "Rising Sun" from the leather covered floor to the antique store fixtures to the window dressings. One will not be dissapointed. (For reference go over to Johnson Motors, some of Mike's personal collection & cotton wear designs are on sale there with the JoMoCo signage in place).

Mike has collaborated with me personally on my companies (Cyclone Racing Equip) line of cotton wear and we have had very nice results.
The retail store is set to open late Nov early Dec 06, so keep an eye open & when taking a stroll past, If Mike is in there, stop in & introduce yourself,
It will be well worth the time. As Mike would say, This stuff is gonna be off the hook!
Kevin

I am looking forward to seeing how their service is if I don't walk in with a pair of Eternals on.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
The Malaysian place on Green is called Kuala Lampur. Used to be a regular place (about once every two weeks) for me. The coffee drink there is really pretty decent as well.

One place you've all gotta go for a coffee and an awesome fig custard tart, (which must be tried if you've never gone, or blueberry brioche, which used to be breakfast 3 days a week for me) is Europane, on Colorado about three blocks east of Lake.. If the owner (Sumi) is in, tell her that Fok and Jen say hi.

RyeGB, I'll look out for your collection, either at Villains when I go to SF in December, or at Blue Bee. Don't think I'll be back in LA before then.

As for the retail scene in Pasadena, it's pretty dead, although there is a decent streetwear place (lots of Stussy) called Greyone on Walnut (iirc).

Dude,

Went over to Europane yesterday to try the "fig custard" which I guess was really the date custard. Not bad. Service wasn't as bad as previously mentioned but I just don't think that place holds a candle to Lovebirds. I went there around 3 after having lunch at Lovebirds (had to have my fix before I skipped town) and I think the differences were pretty obvious. While LB's had a larger selection, Europane's was mostly gone. True, Europane did have more of the cobbler/custard variety but I don't think it was enough to pull me away from LB's any time soon. I think I got the "just another Melrose bakery cafe" vibe off of the place.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
no change. still "under construction" with the same posters and signs up....

phooi

Reaction score
I'm reviving this thread. Looks like Rising Sun is getting close to opening. I saw them working on the store yesterday -- Clothes, decor, etc. is up.

Anyone hear anything about when the store will actually open?

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
It looks like it should have been open for a few weeks. The interior is all done (it seems) and they have stock inside. No idea when it's actually going to open. I can't believe they've had that space for over a year without opening. Must be some deep pockets to pay the Old Town rent and not have a functioning store.

The interior buildout looks cool...too bad the merch is a bit "distressed" looking
frown.gif

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The interior buildout looks cool...too bad the merch is a bit "distressed" looking
frown.gif

Actually, washes are back. You'll see a lot of processed jeans in SS08, and more and more in FW08. In more forgiving cuts with higher rises, too. I am interested in seeing what people on Superfuture are going to be saying in 2009.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads