RISING SUN denim store in Pasadena (LA)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Get Smart, Aug 20, 2006.

1. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

Sushi Roku is our go-to old town Sushi joint

for cooked food I like Tokyo Lobby in san gabriel on las tunas...huge portions and inexpensive

2. SpeedRacerX

SpeedRacerX New Member

7. Good thai in Pasadena?

I strongly recommend President Thai Cuisine at 498 S. Rosemead Blvd. (626-405-0662)

They have recently remodeled and re-opened, I have been going there for years. It used to be just a little hole in the wall kinda place. It gets really busy on weekends so I do recommend you call befor you go. Oh and if you like your Thai food spicy don't forget to tell them you want at least a level 7. (scale 1-10). Level 5 is like an americanized version of spicy. In other words mild for people who like spicy foods.

-SRX

3. rnrswitch

rnrswitch Senior member

I hear there is a good taco bell on wilshire. The biggest bean burritos on the block.

4. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

for cooked food I like Tokyo Lobby in san gabriel on las tunas...huge portions and inexpensive

Tokyo Lobby? Back when I went to SC, my roommate and I had the same 2pm classes so we'd take turns with friends to be the DD, hit up their lunch special, hit a few (read: many) saki bombs, and head back before class. The good ol' days. But being so close to downtown, I usually ended up at The Frying Fish in Little Tokyo. It's that place in the village that has rolls on a conveyor belt around the sushi bar and charges you by the color of your plate. Not a necessarily cheap lunch, but you can't beat the quality.

5. whodini

I hear there is a good taco bell on wilshire. The biggest bean burritos on the block.
    Aww...is someone left out?

6. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

Tokyo Lobby? Back when I went to SC, my roommate and I had the same 2pm classes so we'd take turns with friends to be the DD, hit up their lunch special, hit a few (read: many) saki bombs, and head back before class. The good ol' days.

But being so close to downtown, I usually ended up at The Frying Fish in Little Tokyo. It's that place in the village that has rolls on a conveyor belt around the sushi bar and charges you by the color of your plate. Not a necessarily cheap lunch, but you can't beat the quality.

speaking of Little Tokyo, there's a ramen house on 2nd St called Kouraku (just south of San Pedro st) that is awesome. Very authentic (having had my share of ramen in Tokyo), cheap and they're open til 2am for late nite noodle munchies.

7. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

+1 for Tokyo Lobby, all of their locations offer good quality food at affordable prices. Check out the oyster udon if you're into that sort of thing.

8. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

speaking of Little Tokyo, there's a ramen house on 2nd St called Kouraku (just south of San Pedro st) that is awesome. Very authentic (having had my share of ramen in Tokyo), cheap and they're open til 2am for late nite noodle munchies.

There's a pretty good ramen place across from San Gabriel Square on Valley, I don't recall the name though.

You know, the conveyor place on 3rd street was actually very good to my surprise, although I haven't eaten at a sushi place in LA thats better than Kitayama in Newport Beach.

9. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

There's a pretty good ramen place across from San Gabriel Square on Valley, I don't recall the name though.

I think it's called Ajisen Ramen (or something like that)...it's in that Hilton plaza right? Havent checked it out because it appears to be owned by Chinese (given its location) and I don't like Japanese food interpreted by Chinese (or anyone else for that matter)

10. whodini

I think it's called Ajisen Ramen (or something like that)...it's in that Hilton plaza right? Havent checked it out because it appears to be owned by Chinese (given its location) and I don't like Japanese food interpreted by Chinese (or anyone else for that matter)
    Try getting sushi interpreted by a bunch of Costa Ricans. You get lettuce in your sushi. I wish I was kidding...

11. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

heh as opposed to Chinese food interepreted by Caucasians?

I've been to some ramen places in Japan and it seems authentic at least imho.

12. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

heh as opposed to Chinese food interepreted by Caucasians?

hah, I like chinese food interpreted FOR whiteys, but by Chinks [​IMG]

13. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

Try getting sushi interpreted by a bunch of Costa Ricans. You get lettuce in your sushi. I wish I was kidding...

or mexican food interpreted by Japs....you get cabbage INSTEAD of lettuce. ugh

14. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I strongly recommend President Thai Cuisine at 498 S. Rosemead Blvd. (626-405-0662)

They have recently remodeled and re-opened, I have been going there for years. It used to be just a little hole in the wall kinda place. It gets really busy on weekends so I do recommend you call befor you go. Oh and if you like your Thai food spicy don't forget to tell them you want at least a level 7. (scale 1-10). Level 5 is like an americanized version of spicy. In other words mild for people who like spicy foods.

-SRX

President Thai is decent. I personally prefer Chandra. I always missed the street by one though, everytime I went there. When you really need to tie one down though, you gotta go to Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles (right beside a KFC!), although they raised prices a while back, which sort of defeats the purpose of Roscoes. Still, I am aching for a chicken and cheese omelette right now.

15. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

or mexican food interpreted by Japs....you get cabbage INSTEAD of lettuce. ugh

Yeah, that is wierd. The best Mexican, you gotta get at a place (outdoors, open really late, don't remember the name) in East LA, or drive down to Ensenada, and eat by the docks. The tacos will put a fire under your ass too.