1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

RISING SUN denim store in Pasadena (LA)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Get Smart, Aug 20, 2006.

1. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I'll keep Europane in mind, although for my money the best bakery in Pasadena is Lovebirds just east of lake on Colorado. Best sandwiches I've ever had, hands down, and the danishes are ridiculous. I've known the owners for years ever since they were a hole-in-the-wall in Alhambra on Main. The hours suck, and they know it, but they've had trouble getting people in there after 5.

Pasadena's dead, imo, when it comes to boutique clothing.

Lucille's is pretty epic considering it's a chain and for its value. Great deserts, too. Just wish the wait wasn't like Cheesecake Factory. I'm still partial to Houston's ribs, though. You just can't find anything close to beating them.

Lovebirds is decent, but Europane is significantly better, both in food and atmosphere. I can't comment on the Danishes, and there are usually none at Europane, but the fig custard tart at Europane simply cannot be beat.

Marston's on Walnut is pretty decent for breakfast, but again, the wait times are ridiculous.

I'm confused. This thread is about food/denim is Pasadena... Maybe I should change the thread title.

2. whodini

whodini Senior member

no I havent...I take it you recommend it?
    Doña's the best "quick food" Mexican food around. Really makes places like Poquito Mas, La Salsa, etc etc look like Taco Bell. Freshly made tortillas, freshly made margaritas, a Mexican bakery...you name it. The basic idea is that you have a long list of meat options and from there you tell them if you want it as a taco, gordita, or whatnot, although they do have several really good plate specials and sandwiches. Been going there for since it first opened a few years back and it never fails. And yes, LA Guy, this is about Pasadena's food selection being better than their denim selection, at least for the time being. Never heard of Marston's but I'll give it a shot. I also recommend the Tibetan place on Holly/Fair Oaks for their lunch buffet.

3. Rye GB

Rye GB Senior member

That's Gus' BBQ on Fair Oaks....and I'm not a fan either unfortunately. Now Houston's makes a GREAT babyback rib, albeit a bit pricier than, say, Lucille's, who currently makes my go-to babybacks

Rye, what's your line about? Tshirts & streetwear?

My personal style whilst living in NYC was selvage denim, Dunks, Supreme tee's, an assortment of what was available in Soho and the Lower East Side, this was 3 to 5 years ago.
    After being immersed in SoCal culture in my 3 short years here I've taken a great deal of inspiration from music, due to the number of easily accessible shows on a nightly basis. I live a short walk from Spaceland so I'm fortunate enough to be able to see some great bands, get drunk and climb the hill home.
    My line Rokara pays homage to every great decade and sub-culture related to music and still retains a relation to everything I also like about street culture.
    I made a concious descision to not overprice the line, I'm in a strong frame of mind to not pay over $200 for denim, over $150 for a hoody and so forth, I don't believe the market wil sustain those prices, the consumer is getting savvy to the brands living off of their name.
    I would like to state that it is not another line offering splatter prints, eagles, hereldry and the like, there will be a few skulls because I like them, some things I will not give up!.

4. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

Never heard of Marston's but I'll give it a shot.

They have a cornflake batter French Toast that is unreal. I believe it's their "signature" breakfast item that everyone gets.

Damn, I just came back from a meeting a couple blocks away from Marston's.....I missed my French Toast window of opp.

I'll check out Donas....sounds right up our alley of what we like.

RyeGB, sounds cool...I'd like to see pics or a website if available. That's rad you are a short walk to Spaceland...we go there often enough and I always end up parking up the hill and having to hike down.

5. Rye GB

Rye GB Senior member

Web address is:

rokaralive.com

There's one picture up right now, we haven't found the right person to execute the website for us. Anyone interested?.....[​IMG]

6. SpeedRacerX

SpeedRacerX New Member

I'm a food junkie when it comes to anywhere near the pasadena/south pas/alhambra area. My dad lived there when I was growing up and since dudes don't cook, we always ate out. Lebanese, Thai, Vietnamese, Chinese...you name it. If you're looking for good thai, there's a place over on main around the 7-11 where main becomes las tunas.

If you Love Thai you can't go wrong with President's Thai, they have recently re-openend on Rosemead between Del Mar and Foothill near polo loco. Oh and the best dumpling House not in Pasadena but about 5 miles east of of Pasadena on Baldwin Ave. I think the cross street is Duarte RD. I wish I knew the name but its in Chinese. Juicy Pork Dumplings are the best in LA.

Hi Guys my 1st post here and it ends up being on food go figure.

-SRX

7. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

If you Love Thai you can't go wrong with President's Thai, they have recently re-openend on Rosemead between Del Mar and Foothill near polo loco. Oh and the best dumpling House not in Pasadena but about 5 miles east of of Pasadena on Baldwin Ave. I think the cross street is Duarte RD. I wish I knew the name but its in Chinese. Juicy Pork Dumplings are the best in LA.

Hi Guys my 1st post here and it ends up being on food go figure.

-SRX

You're talking about Din Tai Fung dumpling house? It's good but overrated IMO. It's on Baldwin/Duarte in the same area as Life Plaza.

8. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

Oh and the best dumpling House not in Pasadena but about 5 miles east of of Pasadena on Baldwin Ave. I think the cross street is Duarte RD. I wish I knew the name but its in Chinese. Juicy Pork Dumplings are the best in LA.

totally dood. We just ate there last weekend, it's called Din Tai Fung. THE best dumpling house in so cal. The juicy pork dumplings are AMAZING. It's on Baldwin just north of Duarte on the east side of st. They open at 5pm for dinner and we get there at 4:45 to make sure we get a table right away. If you arrive at 5:05, it's already a packed house and you gotta wait. Cheap as hell too.

9. whodini

whodini Senior member

They have a cornflake batter French Toast that is unreal. I believe it's their "signature" breakfast item that everyone gets. Damn, I just came back from a meeting a couple blocks away from Marston's.....I missed my French Toast window of opp. I'll check out Donas....sounds right up our alley of what we like. RyeGB, sounds cool...I'd like to see pics or a website if available. That's rad you are a short walk to Spaceland...we go there often enough and I always end up parking up the hill and having to hike down.
    Man, I love me some dumplings, too. I'll keep President's Thai in mind. I'm always looking for a new place. Saladang's great for atmosphere and presentation (the food's delicious, too), but I go to Chandra when I'm looking for something simple. I miss Alhambra's super cheap chinese food. There was a place across the street from Gino's subs on Las Tunas a few years back that made tangerine chicken. I still crave that stuff nightly. Best cornflake french toast is in MY neighborhood. If you haven't been to Los Feliz' Freds 62, you haven't had french toast. I recommend the strawberry berret and ask them to cornflake it for you. I'm at spaceland often when I'm in town, too. I'll check that place out.

10. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

There was a place across the street from Gino's subs on Las Tunas a few years back that made tangerine chicken. I still crave that stuff nightly..

That place is now closed. I use the tailor right next door, Tony's, who's been phenomenal in the 10+ years I've been going there for my alterations.

If you haven't been to Los Feliz' Freds 62, you haven't had french toast...

Isnt that the place on Vermont....green building facade? There's a joint in Los Feliz we eat all the time that has a number in its name that has the best f'ing macaroni and cheese I've ever had.

11. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

totally dood. We just ate there last weekend, it's called Din Tai Fung. THE best dumpling house in so cal. The juicy pork dumplings are AMAZING. It's on Baldwin just north of Duarte on the east side of st. They open at 5pm for dinner and we get there at 4:45 to make sure we get a table right away. If you arrive at 5:05, it's already a packed house and you gotta wait. Cheap as hell too.

I think Din Tai Fung has pretty good dumplings but their two houses in Taiwan are significantly better and there are some other places in Monterey Park and San Gabriel that have better dumplings IMO but they are infrequently visited by Caucasians. I would disagree about the price, as they're pretty expensive IMHO, like $5-8 per pan of dumplings.

12. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

there are some other places in Monterey Park and San Gabriel that have better dumplings IMO but they are infrequently visited by Caucasians.

I like DTF because it does appeal to a non-chinese eater, despite it being very chinese. I can't eat 99.9% of dim sum because it's too 'ethnic'...if I pick a dim sum with "chicken" it sure isnt made from any part of chicken that I eat (and I dont like seafood). I'm sure if you are accustomed to eating true dimsum, Din Tai Fung won't seem as good, but for those of us with "whitey" taste palettes, it's def the bees knees.

13. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

I like DTF because it does appeal to a non-chinese eater, despite it being very chinese. I can't eat 99.9% of dim sum because it's too 'ethnic'...if I pick a dim sum with "chicken" it sure isnt made from any part of chicken that I eat (and I dont like seafood). I'm sure if you are accustomed to eating true dimsum, Din Tai Fung won't seem as good, but for those of us with "whitey" taste palettes, it's def the bees knees.

I'll agree with the idea that DTF is probably more appealing to non-Chinese eaters, however I don't think DTF falls into the category of a traditional dim-sum style eatery. Although it's a common place to visit in the mornings, as one can see from the substantial lines, I think many people eat there for dinner as well and they offer a full menu in addition to dumplings.

It's also probably true that DTF offers more description of what exactly you are getting with your order and that it's probably less intimidating to eat at without an "ethnic guide" Restaurants in the San Gabriel/MP area can be very hit or miss unless you're operating upon a pool of experience.

14. SpeedRacerX

SpeedRacerX New Member

I think Din Tai Fung has pretty good dumplings but their significantly better places in Monterey Park and San Gabriel that have better dumplings IMO but they are infrequently visited by Caucasians.

I work in Pas and pick up my Anime DVD's in San Gabriel, I would love to find a good dumpling house where I don't have to wait 25 min (avg) to get a table plus I hate leaving the Vette in their parking lot (crowded as hell).

I'll have to agree with GS I'm not much of a Dim Sum guy, but I don't mind if others dig it.

15. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

I work in Pas and pick up my Anime DVD's in San Gabriel, I would love to find a good dumpling house where I don't have to wait 25 min (avg) to get a table plus I hate leaving the Vette in their parking lot (crowded as hell).

I'll have to agree with GS I'm not much of a Dim Sum guy, but I don't mind if others dig it.

Easiest way to deal with the parking is to park in Wells Fargo or in the shopping mall behind DTF on Duarte.

As far as dumpling houses, there are a number of them in San Gabriel/MP but I don't remember the English names of them. There's a good one that's near the corner of Garfield and Valley as I recall.

16. Rye GB

Rye GB Senior member

I think Din Tai Fung has pretty good dumplings but their two houses in Taiwan are significantly better and there are some other places in Monterey Park and San Gabriel that have better dumplings IMO but they are infrequently visited by Caucasians. I would disagree about the price, as they're pretty expensive IMHO, like $5-8 per pan of dumplings.

When I moved to LA from New York my wife and I lived at her parents house in San Gabriel for a couple of months. I was totally immersed in HK style culture for that time (love the HK gossip mags)!!!!!. I love a good shabu shabu but still find the green leafy steamed vegetables too chewy!. Lots of great chinese food in San Gabriel, a pity I don't recall names and locations.

17. gamelan

gamelan Senior member

You have no idea. I'm a food junkie when it comes to anywhere near the pasadena/south pas/alhambra area. My dad lived there when I was growing up and since dudes don't cook, we always ate out. Lebanese, Thai, Vietnamese, Chinese...you name it. If you're looking for good thai, there's a place over on main around the 7-11 where main becomes las tunas. Best drunken spaghetti, if the place still exists. Pho-79 is still good for lemon grass chicken. The list goes on...

Yeah, same Lovebirds. First they were on Main, then they moved to that bank building where they are today.

Have you been to Doña Rosa on Arroyo Pkwy?

Ha, a few weeks ago, I added Pho-79 to the Restaurants post in Social Life, Food, Drink. Been going there forever. You ever been to any restaurants in the original Chinatown? My favorite is Mandarin Deli and Family Pastry is a dim sum classic. So I take it you didn't grow up in the area but occasionally visit?

-Jeff

18. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

Ha, a few weeks ago, I added Pho-79 to the Restaurants post in Social Life, Food, Drink. Been going there forever. You ever been to any restaurants in the original Chinatown? My favorite is Mandarin Deli and Family Pastry is a dim sum classic. So I take it you didn't grow up in the area but occasionally visit?

-Jeff

I think Pho-79 is a decent place. My favorite places for pho are down in Orange County (or up) in Garden Grove, Westminster, etc. The most creative pho places, though, are either Pho King on Valley/Rosemead or What the Pho, in HB... heh

19. gamelan

gamelan Senior member

I think Pho-79 is a decent place. My favorite places for pho are down in Orange County (or up) in Garden Grove, Westminster, etc. The most creative pho places, though, are either Pho King on Valley/Rosemead or What the Pho, in HB... heh

yeah, well, Little Saigon...i imagine the Vietnamese food down there is pretty good. a coworker told me about Pho King. i totally thought he was pulling my leg. nice!

-Jeff

20. whodini

whodini Senior member

That place is now closed. I use the tailor right next door, Tony's, who's been phenomenal in the 10+ years I've been going there for my alterations.

Isnt that the place on Vermont....green building facade? There's a joint in Los Feliz we eat all the time that has a number in its name that has the best f'ing macaroni and cheese I've ever had.

You are, of course, referring to the Molten Bomb...spicy Mac n' cheese. That's the place.