1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

RISING SUN denim store in Pasadena (LA)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Get Smart, Aug 20, 2006.

1. driveslowk

driveslowk Senior member

2. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

i'll have to try that now. i'm content with philly's best chains, they import armoroso rolls on a daily basis which is amazing

that's what Fredo's in Pasadena did when Dan ran it. Philly's Best is ok, I would like it more if I didnt have Fredo's to compare it with

3. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

Kelvin, no offense fella, but those photos are unappetizing heh [​IMG]

4. PG2G

PG2G Senior member

been kind of disenchanted from ramen after going to shinsengumi's.
    there's just something wrong about paying $12 to eat average ramen...
    would rather eat 2 packs of some doctored instant ramen.

If shinsengumi is average, what ramen do you like?

5. driveslowk

driveslowk Senior member

^ is Fredo's as good as it was? They changed owners right

GS, yeah the food looks really normal, but maaaan.

Farmer's market was kind of cool. I want to do the "taste of farmer's market" thing as I only tried some dried fruit and ice cream at Bennett's (which was good. all handmade there) The fruit was fkn expensive

6. poly800rock

poly800rock Senior member

that's what Fredo's in Pasadena did when Dan ran it. Philly's Best is ok, I would like it more if I didnt have Fredo's to compare it with

philly's best reminds me a lot like jim's on south....which i prefer to the whole gino's pat's stuff

7. jet

jet Senior member

i'll have to try that now. i'm content with philly's best chains, they import armoroso rolls on a daily basis which is amazing

I've had phillys best and I won't say anymore. Go to the john's at the location I mentioned (they have 2 or 3 others) and order the #2 pepper steak and when the guy asks if you want onions etc on it just say yes. The best is when you get it to go so its wrapped up and the juices soak into the bread for 10-15 minutes and it's still piping hot. Not as good if you get it and dine in, we usually have him wrap it anyway. Trust me.

The chili cheese fries are good too but it's enough for two people. Damn I might go today after work now.

8. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

^ is Fredo's as good as it was? They changed owners right

GS, yeah the food looks really normal, but maaaan.

i meant your photo skills are a bit dodgy!

Fredo's was AWESOME, but no longer. RIP Fredo's

9. driveslowk

driveslowk Senior member

:*( I only got to eat at Fredo's once before the change. Off to philly's best I guess.

Aahahah point and shoot, I don't know much more than that

10. raginberriodoom

raginberriodoom Senior member

damn, this thread is a goldmine.

also, i don't know if this has been mentioned before, but kelvin, if you like farmers markets, you should check out the one on mission in south pas every thursday in the afternoon. it's pretty small, but i always walk away with something delicious to eat.

11. driveslowk

driveslowk Senior member

^ when I get some time I'm going to compileall the food stuff in the thread for everyone.

Looks like my day trip to south pas will be on a thursday. Are the prices better than the 3rd st market? $12 for some dried mangoes is bsss

12. driveslowk

driveslowk Senior member

Pasadena

Gus BBQ
    808 Fair Oaks Ave
    South Pasadena, CA 91030
    (626) 799-3251

Bollini's Pizzeria Napolitana – Best pizza evar
    2315 S Garfield Ave
    Monterey Park, CA 91754
    (323) 722-7600

Firefly
    1009 El Centro St
    South Pasadena, CA 91030

Oak Tree Inn – Chinese
    1325 Fair Oaks Ave
    South Pasadena, CA 91030
    (323) 682-2882

Porto's – Sandwiches, pastries, cheese rolls, etc.
    315 N Brand Blvd
    Glendale, CA 91203
    (818) 956-5996

Green St. Taqueria
    730 E Green St
    Pasadena, CA 91101

Saladang Song - Thai
    383 South Fair Oaks
    Pasadena, CA 91105
    (626) 793-5200

Fair Oaks Pharmacy – ice cream, floats, sundaes
    1526 Mission St
    South Pasadena, CA 91030
    (626) 799-1414

Fosselmans Ice Cream Co.
    1824 W Main St
    Alhambra, CA 91801
    (626) 282-6533

21 Choices – Frozen Yogurt
    85 W Colorado Blvd
    Pasadena, CA 91105
    (626) 304-9521

Buster's Coffee and Ice Cream
    1006 Mission St
    South Pasadena, CA 91030
    (626) 441-0744

Shiro – Asian Fusion, high end
    1505 Mission St
    South Pasadena, CA 91030
    (626) 799-4774

going to print this out and try as many places I can over the next few months. I rarely go to Pasadena though...

L.A. neeext

13. mordecai

mordecai Senior member

senor fish on mission is pretty solid too. but the eagle rock one is nicer to sit at. should we expand this to eagle rock? then we can throw in blue hen, fatties (good but overrated), la Beaujolais's (the french one and the vietnamese one), larkins, oinkster, etc...

14. whodini

whodini Senior member

Dude... Beaujolais is fucking awesome. I keep telling the Lobster about it since it's a great date place AND the food is good, too. Love the French waiters who do nothing but hit on your date on the not-so-sly ala that SNL sketch.

If we're talking farmers markets, Montrose>South Pas any day of the fucking week. Just don't go blowing up my spot. Same goes with Larchmont.

15. mordecai

mordecai Senior member

Dude... Beaujolais is fucking awesome. I keep telling the Lobster about it since it's a great date place AND the food is good, too. Love the French waiters who do nothing but hit on your date on the not-so-sly ala that SNL sketch.

If we're talking farmers markets, Montrose>South Pas any day of the fucking week. Just don't go blowing up my spot. Same goes with Larchmont.

larchmont farmer's market? where most of the booths take credit cards? i like that white honey stand.

16. ConcernedParent

ConcernedParent Senior member

Went to Rising Sun today. The interior is f'ing awesome and chain hemming is on site and $15, which is reasonable in my opinion. Jeans themselves are not really my cup of tea. But anyway, as I drove by on Fair View I noticed the guy just lounging there looking bored out of his mind, on the walk back he was still idling. Kind of feel for the guy, poor choice of location tbh, Pasadena's more of a hotspot for TR than for Americana.

17. DECEMBER

DECEMBER Senior member

I told him he should sign up for our forums. Don't know if he did yet.

He needs to connect more with a lot of the online sellers, seems kind of slow just relying on streetshoppers.

18. whodini

whodini Senior member

larchmont farmer's market? where most of the booths take credit cards? i like that white honey stand.
    Yup. Montrose still feels more old-school and much more toned down. Plus, parking isn't a complete whore.
    Went to Rising Sun today. The interior is f'ing awesome and chain hemming is on site and $15, which is reasonable in my opinion. Jeans themselves are not really my cup of tea. But anyway, as I drove by on Fair View I noticed the guy just lounging there looking bored out of his mind, on the walk back he was still idling. Kind of feel for the guy, poor choice of location tbh, Pasadena's more of a hotspot for TR than for Americana.
    It's Fair Oaks, noob. I haven't been in that store nor have heard of anyone else going there and not finding him or his wife looking totally bored. Their choice of location is a complete mystery as is their lack of online presence (a quick google would find forums like SF and sufu when searching for terms like "selvage" or "cone mills") and customer base. Get Smart and I have mentioned this ad nauseum, though.

19. ConcernedParent

ConcernedParent Senior member

Yup. Montrose still feels more old-school and much more toned down. Plus, parking isn't a complete whore.
    It's Fair Oaks, noob. I haven't been in that store nor have heard of anyone else going there and not finding him or his wife looking totally bored. Their choice of location is a complete mystery as is their lack of online presence (a quick google would find forums like SF and sufu when searching for terms like "selvage" or "cone mills") and customer base. Get Smart and I have mentioned this ad nauseum, though.

Hahah Fairview is a street a few blocks from my house that's essentially a strip of apartments in a city of inflated 2 story McMansions.

20. theom-

theom- Senior member

Yeah I checked it out the other day too. Apparently most of the jeans they make are true to the period jeans. They make em exactly how they did in the late 19th century. Pretty cool, but the guy wasn't super polite though.