1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

RISING SUN denim store in Pasadena (LA)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Get Smart, Aug 20, 2006.

1. jet

jet Well-Known Member

Are you kidding there isn't shit to eat in oc compared to LA.

Btw somebody school me on ramen at santoka, what options/choices are there and what is optimal me and kelvin have a lunch date coming up I want to be prepared so I can impress him.

2. skunkworks

skunkworks Well-Known Member

^^^ Misread?

Salt or miso, with the salmon roe rice. I think it might be set C? Can't remember.

3. whodini

whodini Well-Known Member

+1 on Santoka at Mitsuwa in Costa Mesa, and I've had Shinsengumi in FV too which is good but not quite this good. Also, the density of awesome places to eat in LA is offset by Orange County having Chick-Fil-A.
    I wouldn't ride the "OC is better than LA for having Chick-Fil-A" train if I were you; not only does LAC have them (Redondo, Torrance) but the Inland Empire was one of the first to get one.

4. skunkworks

skunkworks Well-Known Member

I wouldn't ride the "OC is better than LA for having Chick-Fil-A" train if I were you; not only does LAC have them (Redondo, Torrance) but the Inland Empire was one of the first to get one.
    I was born in Torrance but didn't know there were any over there. And lol Inland Empire.

5. whodini

I was born in Torrance but didn't know there were any over there. And lol Inland Empire.
    Haven't been back home much, eh?

6. jet

jet Well-Known Member

Great thanks now I am armed with all the ramen info I need.

Anybody wanna offer any real assistance or ramen 101?

7. mordecai

mordecai Well-Known Member

Great thanks now I am armed with all the ramen info I need.

Anybody wanna offer any real assistance or ramen 101?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092048/

8. poly800rock

poly800rock Well-Known Member

Are you kidding there isn't shit to eat in oc compared to LA.

Btw somebody school me on ramen at santoka, what options/choices are there and what is optimal me and kelvin have a lunch date coming up I want to be prepared so I can impress him.

get the SPECIAL PORK set. whatever that is, i think it's #7. make sure it's the one where the toppings are on the side. it's the best thing they have. so much so i have never gotten anything else there.

9. driveslowk

driveslowk Well-Known Member

oh my fucking god

first and only time i had ramen was at shinsengumi. It was okay, didn't get it.

But damn. Daikokuya was fkn AMAZING. had the fried rice and it was also delicious.

10. driveslowk

^ this was the L.A. one I didn't have to wait in line more than 10 minutes but it is a tuesday night...

11. jet

jet Well-Known Member

get the SPECIAL PORK set. whatever that is, i think it's #7. make sure it's the one where the toppings are on the side. it's the best thing they have. so much so i have never gotten anything else there.

Cool thanks poly will try that.

A few of my other favorite spots as limited as they are in oc are

-anjin jap. bbq on paularino and bristol across from the supermarket santoka is in (best things are #5 marbled prime rib, #43 fried rice in earth stone pot and beef tatake to start). This place is only open from 5pm-1am no reservations and long wait unless you go b/w 5-6

-gulfstream for fish restaurant

-bandera for the most amazing french dip, mac n cheese, cornbread, burgers (same as houstons)

-johns philly grill in hb (the one on goldenwest and edinger) for the best cheesesteaks, dude is from philly

12. Get Smart

Get Smart Well-Known Member

yo where can I kop a good falafel, hummous and baklava?

13. whodini

Ever been to shamshiri?

14. jet

jet Well-Known Member

yo where can I kop a good falafel, hummous and baklava?

I don't know but paradise on glenoaks has some great pastries as do a couple of other spots in glendale.

Ever been to shamshiri?

I'm not sure if I've gone but I've eaten at a few persian joints in oc, la, westwood and raffis in glendale is my go to spot. It's the best tasting, cheapest and most generous along with great casual patio dining. Get the barg kebab (filet) cooked medium (or else it comes out dry) and it's almost enough for two, with some tea afterwards with zooloobya and bomya desert pastres drenched in melted sugar. The perfect meal and the chicken barg is nice too even though it looks glow in the dark.

15. driveslowk

i am going to be getting my gruuuuub on for the next few months perhaps I won't look like a malnourished viet refugee after i hit all these spots

16. delirium

delirium Well-Known Member

oh my fucking god

first and only time i had ramen was at shinsengumi. It was okay, didn't get it.

But damn. Daikokuya was fkn AMAZING. had the fried rice and it was also delicious.

been kind of disenchanted from ramen after going to shinsengumi's.
    there's just something wrong about paying $12 to eat average ramen...
    would rather eat 2 packs of some doctored instant ramen.

-anjin jap. bbq on paularino and bristol across from the supermarket santoka is in (best things are #5 marbled prime rib, #43 fried rice in earth stone pot and beef tatake to start). This place is only open from 5pm-1am no reservations and long wait unless you go b/w 5-6

-gulfstream for fish restaurant

-bandera for the most amazing french dip, mac n cheese, cornbread, burgers (same as houstons)

-johns philly grill in hb (the one on goldenwest and edinger) for the best cheesesteaks, dude is from philly

haven't tried most of these places. i'll give it a shot, thanks.
    oc food isn't that bad though.

17. Get Smart

I'm not sure if I've gone but I've eaten at a few persian joints in oc, la, westwood and raffis in glendale is my go to spot. It's the best tasting, cheapest and most generous along with great casual patio dining. Get the barg kebab (filet) cooked medium (or else it comes out dry) and it's almost enough for two, with some tea afterwards with zooloobya and bomya desert pastres drenched in melted sugar. The perfect meal and the chicken barg is nice too even though it looks glow in the dark.

figure there had to be some awesome persian joints in Glendale. There's a good lebanese place right near my pad that is a go to for Shwarma, Falafel, etc. but always into checking out other habib eateries

18. driveslowk

i don't know if prices have changed but the bowl was $8.50 last night which isn't tooo bad.

19. Get Smart

there's just something wrong about paying $12 to eat average ramen... would rather eat 2 packs of some doctored instant ramen.
    and this is posted on style forum where nerds pay $200+ for jeans and $100 is a good sale price for an oxford shirt [​IMG] I think anything up to $10 is a good price unless I'm dumping all kinds of shit into the soup base, which I rarely do. Chashu, green onion, bean sprouts and maybe bamboo shoots is all I need. Hold the ginger and dump the egg into the trash

20. poly800rock

poly800rock Well-Known Member

i'll have to try that now. i'm content with philly's best chains, they import armoroso rolls on a daily basis which is amazing