RISING SUN denim store in Pasadena (LA)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Get Smart, Aug 20, 2006.

1. onion

onion Senior member

I've never heard of a biscuit w/ BBQ. In Texas you get meat, pickles, onions and a bag of white bread.

I'm from NC, and there is also never a biscuit involved in BBQ here. White bread or hush puppies is the only acceptable bread to be served with BBQ.

2. Mauro

Mauro Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Washington, DC and a few months out of the year in
    where do you ever get BBQ with a biscuit??? Is that even right?

3. jet

jet Persian Bro

Had Gus' BBQ last nite with friends while Lakers KICKED ASS - f'ing Derek Fisher is the man..!!!!! place was packed of course, and I have to recommend their Jack's Mac and Cheese if yer into that. Really damn good, with truffle oil, bacon, mushrooms, bread crumbs baked on top of course.....all the stuff you want in a solid mac n cheese. Better than the one at Elements Kitchen and a tad cheaper (and you get more)

This sounds excellent.

Lakers baby lakers.

4. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

I know they serve white bread with BBQ as being "authentic" but fuck that, try it with a good buttermilk bisquit and you'll never go back to wonderbread again. That's one thing SoCal did right to make something good even better, lord knows there isnt much that we do out here that is right, but this is one of em

5. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

What abour cornbread? That's pretty much why I stuck to Robin's over by Rosemead and the 210: BBQ deserves some good cornbread. Maybe you should blog about that.

6. aizan

aizan Senior member

biscuits are crumbly. how are you supposed to mop up the sauce?

7. shaftoe

shaftoe Senior member

What abour cornbread? That's pretty much why I stuck to Robin's over by Rosemead and the 210: BBQ deserves some good cornbread. Maybe you should blog about that.

Robin's cornbread is good, I like the blueberries. Roscoe's used to have the best cornbread in town until they went to those little muffins instead of the big 'ol slab.

8. jet

jet Persian Bro

Bandera has sick cornbread, warm and moist with jalapeno inside served with a side of chunky guac and brushetta or some shit.

9. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

biscuits are crumbly. how are you supposed to mop up the sauce?

I dont like Q when it's covered in sauce, the rub and the cooking should create enough flavor where you dont need to cover it in sauce (just enough to add some more kick) and hence arent left with puddles of sauce to "mop it up". Cornbread or biscuits are just rad alongside good barbeque, not used as bbq cumrags the way white bread is

10. Mauro

Mauro Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Washington, DC and a few months out of the year in
    I think the white bread double as a face napkin.
    I think corn bread is a good side.
    Biscuit nope not havin it.
    I think a biscuit is good with gravy or greens NOT BBQ

11. kiya

kiya Brand Representative Affiliate Vendor

This may be my favorite post here in a long while.

12. driveslowk

driveslowk Senior member

I think corn bread is a good side.
    Biscuit nope not havin it.
    I think a biscuit is good with gravy or greens NOT BBQ

You will change your mind when you go to Lucille's, my friend.

13. aizan

aizan Senior member

I dont like Q when it's covered in sauce, the rub and the cooking should create enough flavor where you dont need to cover it in sauce (just enough to add some more kick) and hence arent left with puddles of sauce to "mop it up". Cornbread or biscuits are just rad alongside good barbeque, not used as bbq cumrags the way white bread is
    you should really check out bludso's. on the weekend, they have angus ribs that are spectacular without sauce. brisket, too, which is sliced very thin and against the grain, a stroke of genius. i only have sauce with pork, where i appreciate a bit of sweet and spicy. their hot sauce is worth sacrificing bbq purity. =) they also have good cornbread, if you want it.

14. poly800rock

poly800rock Senior member

Weird. I guess Jas and I never updated this thread (or at least our opinions) but mentioned this shop on other threads.

The shop itself is pretty cool for its displays and for doing on-site chainstitching. I wish I could say that about the jeans themselves and the owner. I feel bad about talking negatively about a place that on paper would be perfect for people like us, especially when there are so very few shops like this in the US in general, but damn. I simply can not justify their pricepoints for OTR jeans, not when they're just using regular Cone redline selvage and "jazzing it up" with hidden back pocket rivets.

The owner himself just rubbed me the wrong way (Jas can back me up.) I think their slogan will speak volumes about what I mean: Simply The Best Jeans For The Money.

What really confuses me is who their targeted consumer is. I can only imagine it being the guy who likes denim enough (and has enough money) to pay more than the average "premium" jean, hell, into Dior/45rpm price territory, for something more exclusive yet does zero research into denim in general. Cone puts out some solid shit and I stand by it (and in it, literally, these days) but >$300 for a cut and features that other people do with better denim is crazy. Crate and Hope are great examples of companies doing similar things with the same denim at FAR more reasonable prices.

I never saw the owner, but had the pleasure of being there 3 time in the past two weeks. To be fair here, they're not just using regular cone redline selvedge, they're using the white oak, and to add to that pricepoint, the organic version of the denim which told by the cute sa is pricier, makes sense. Idk, price point isn't ridiculous, it was a tad under 300 for the cut I was looking at, and she had mentioned that there are plans to use a regular white oak selvedge denim to bring the price down in the future, perhaps hitting the target market in the area.

15. raginberriodoom

raginberriodoom Senior member

i really would've loved to work there for a summer job. even called in to ask, but too bad they are not hiring [​IMG].