Rise of the Planet of the Apes (08.05.2011)

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by willy cheesesteak, Apr 14, 2011.

1. lefty

lefty Senior member

No. Did they explain how the "apes" supposedly took over?

Yes. Quite clever actually.

lefty

2. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

It was actually quite good. This remake stuff is utter crap.

I'm sure the people involved with the original are shocked by its staying power. I mean, they're pretty damn schlocky movies when you come down to it, but 40+ years later it's still a valuable franchise. It just goes to show how powerfully the underlying story resonates with audiences - even if we're almost wiped off the face of the planet, humans will still triumph!

I'm glad they dropped the time travel angle for this one. "Battle" never made a lot of sense to me - he goes back in time to find that chimps and gorillas have already been domesticated and mastered tool use etc, and they're just waiting for him to teach them how to speak?

3. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

I'm sure the people involved with the original are shocked by its staying power. I mean, they're pretty damn schlocky movies when you come down to it, but 40+ years later it's still a valuable franchise. It just goes to show how powerfully the underlying story resonates with audiences - even if we're almost wiped off the face of the planet, humans will still triumph!

But at the end of Beneath the Planet of the Apes, the nuclear bomb goes off. The world is destroyed. Everything that ever lived was wiped from existence. I'm not sure that's a triumph.

4. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

But at the end of Beneath the Planet of the Apes, the nuclear bomb goes off. The world is destroyed. Everything that ever lived was wiped from existence. I'm not sure that's a triumph.

LMAO I forgot all about that.

Anybody remember when The 4:30 Movie on WABC New York? They did an annual PotA marathon for many years that I always used to watch.

5. Harold falcon

LMAO I forgot all about that.

Anybody remember when The 4:30 Movie on WABC New York? They did an annual PotA marathon for many years that I always used to watch.

I remember WPIX used to show them late at night. That and Godzilla movies. Loved that stuff.

6. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

I remember WPIX used to show them late at night. That and Godzilla movies. Loved that stuff.

Yeah, me too. In some ways my tastes haven't really changed since I was 12. I still love monster movies and comic books - I'm just more selective about what I consider the "good stuff".

7. lefty

lefty Senior member

Much spoiler below.

Escape From the PofA:
    Zira, Cornelius and Milo escape in Taylor's ship just before the bomb went off. They go back to Taylor's time are both celebrated and feared. They have a child that was secreted away by Armando.

Conquest of the PofA:
    Dogs and cats have been wiped out and people adopt apes as pets then servants. Zira and Cornelius child (Caesar) is now and adult and leads the apes in a revolt against the humans.

Battle for the PotA:
    Caesar now leads an ape society and strives to unite with the remaining humans. Leads directly to the first movie.

lefty

8. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

So, like, how do the apes take over the planet, being apes and all?

9. lefty

lefty Senior member

Their leader is an ape from the future with superior intelligence and the ability to speak. He arms the servant apes, teaches them to fight, then leads them in a revolt.

lefty

10. Harold falcon

Their leader is an ape from the future with superior intelligence and the ability to speak. He arms the servant apes, teaches them to fight, then leads them in a revolt.

lefty

"THE ONLY GOOD HUMAN IS A DEAD HUMAN!"

11. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

I think I'm going to pick up the original PotA boxed series. Or get them on Netflix. So awesome.

12. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

Oh hellz yeah! Genetically modified monkeys with bad intentions. I'll watch.

13. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

[​IMG]

14. Gradstudent78

Gradstudent78 Senior member

Apes

15. L.R.

L.R. Senior member

Wow.... Hollywood is reaching for ideas these days.......