• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RIP Sir Sean

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A sad passing today of Sean Connery. A great actor and an icon of cinema. To many, the definitive James Bond. Of course, around here he, or at least the character he made his own, is considered an icon of men’s style and if Style Forum had patron saints, he’d be one of them. Rest peacefully sir!

1604150267861.jpeg

1604150318891.png

1604150348410.jpeg

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What a loss of a true icon. RIP

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try to catch him in the relatively obscure "The Hill" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hill_(film).
His main antagonist is Harry Roberts in a British military prison in World War 2. Great film.
Harry Andrews.....Harry Roberts was a police killer in the 1960s....it was a good film though,they put a gas respirator over the camera and charged up and down that hill,would probably have killed the actors to wear it.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I actually saw Harry Andrews at Paul Stuart in New York in the 80s.
I was disappointed that he did not look very intimidating in an overcoat and hat.
I confused him with a different Harry Roberts
Harry Roberts was a Professor of Statistics at the the U of Chicago, a Marathoner,
and an ex-POW.

Last edited:

Encathol Epistemia

Reaction score
He was one of those people who, admittedly as an accident of the point of history when I was born, I assumed as a fixture of the world, even though I know that this would happen eventually.

I think that was he was an extraordinarily awesome sort of person with an exceedingly, impressively clear and strong sense of himself, unfortunately he also did evidence some rather retrograde ideas about relations to women and star in Zardoz.

Although he made his archetypical impression upon the world as James Bond, I think that my most fixed image of him is as Colonel Arbuthnot in the 1974 Sidney Lumet version of Murder on the Orient Express, if for no other reason than that he consistently pronounced, "pipe," like, "peep." I assume that is some valid dialectal variation, but it always rang weirdly in my ears.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Connery was the real thing. I am surprised that nobody mentioned that he
disarmed Hollywood thug Johnny Stompamato, Lana Turner's one time paramour.

The relationship between Stompanato and Turner was stormy. They would have big fights. Sometimes they would get physical. Like most insecure brutes, Stompanato was incredibly jealous, and when he heard rumors that Turner was having an affair with young Sean Connery, who was her co-star in Another Time, Another Place, he flew to England to confront her. And confront her he did, on set, with a gun, which he pointed at Connery.

Legend has it that Stompanato pulled the gun on Connery, who grabbed the gangster's wrist, twisted it until the piece dropped out and then decked the man. All the while, the story goes, the cameras were running - I wonder where that footage is. At any rate, Connery reported Stompanato to the police, and he was deported for breaking England's gun laws.

Stompanato was stabbed to death in 1958 by the actress's daughter Cheryl, 14.

Last edited:

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Connery was the real thing. I am surprised that nobody mentioned that he
disarmed Hollywood thug Johnny Stompamato, Lana Turner's one time paramour.

The relationship between Stompanato and Turner was stormy. They would have big fights. Sometimes they would get physical. Like most insecure brutes, Stompanato was incredibly jealous, and when he heard rumors that Turner was having an affair with young Sean Connery, who was her co-star in Another Time, Another Place, he flew to England to confront her. And confront her he did, on set, with a gun, which he pointed at Connery.

Legend has it that Stompanato pulled the gun on Connery, who grabbed the gangster's wrist, twisted it until the piece dropped out and then decked the man. All the while, the story goes, the cameras were running - I wonder where that footage is. At any rate, Connery reported Stompanato to the police, and he was deported for breaking England's gun laws.

Stompanato was stabbed to death in 1958 by the actress's daughter Cheryl, 14.

what a great story! I had never heard that one before. Thanks for sharing.

it’s always interesting to see an actor who is so well known for one role or character perform in a different role. Though from 1961, so pre Bond, this production of Macbeth features Connery in the title role. Here is the “Tomorrow” soliloquy:

Last edited:

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sean Connery will be missed. I drank some scotch to his shade yesterday.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wish this thread existed before he passed.........feels like #fakelove

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wish this thread existed before he passed.........feels like #fakelove

well, threads references regarding James Bond abound. As for the man himself, I’m not sure fake love is fair.

How many of us wake up each and every day thinking of a particular public person, especially when he has been out of the public eye for so long. I think his wife mentioned that over the past few years he’d been suffering from dementia, which probably added to a paucity of public appearances.

can’t we just pay our respects in our own way without being accused of this?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads