• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RIP Pioneer TVs

mikej77

Reaction score
When I was looking to purchase a flat screen, I looked a few plasmas (Pioneer, Panasonic) and a few LCDs (Sony, Samsung). After all of my searching, I ended up purchasing the Samsung 46A650 LCD. I will admit that in a dark room the Pioneer Kuro looked amazing and in in a lighter environment, the Sony looked great because of the matte finish. Overall, I just liked the Samsung. The screen on the Samsung was more shiny than the Sony but I couldn't justify the price difference from the Samsung to the Sony all the way up to the Pioneer. You can argue all day that one is better than the other but the technology becomes dated so quickly that eventually it gets replaced and you start all over. The Samsung with the bluray looks great to me and I didn't spend so much that it will piss me off when I have to replace it for an OLED.

unpainted huffheinz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I agree. I like matte better under all circumstances. I just think most consumers are dumb and like shiny things.

The 'shiny thing' over the LCD is designed to give it better contrast and deeper blacks. In other words, to make it look more like a plasma.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
I'd never say they were better than the Pio Elite, but 4k for both my Sonys vs. 10k for one Piobaire?

FIFY
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by GQgeek
Ya... For something like a TV that will be placed in an area where you can control the light, I could understand that. But for something like a laptop, I just can't. The reflections on glossy screens are terrible.

I think it's actually the opposite in practice. I think (speculate) that when most buy a TV there is usually one or two places in their house they wish to put it, usually directly across from the couch. If there is some bad glare because of the window, they probably aren't going to re-arrange their furniture or buy some heavy drapes to obscure the window. They're probably more likely to go for a screen that minimizes the reflection problems.

For a laptop, however, it's much easier to simply rotate the laptop a few degrees until the reflections are not as annoying.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Saw a quote today on some Pioneer Kuro 50" at around $2,700. Might have to bite.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads