RIP Good Taste.

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by LabelKing, Jan 4, 2009.

1. SField

SField Senior member

What you said was no more "klassy," you just wasted the time to use more sophisticated language. Hence the "pompous" part.

well.. guess Hopkins won't be bringing the potato salad to the style forum picnic...

2. hopkins_student

hopkins_student Senior member

I buy it, I break it and FU!!!
    Historical preservation is nothing more than selfishness. It consists of other members of a community seeking to gain all of the benefit while paying none of the cost.

3. hopkins_student

Historical preservation is nothing more than selfishness. It consists of other members of a community seeking to gain all of the benefit while paying none of the cost.
    Sure I will, I'll just let it sit outside for six or eight hours.

4. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

Steve Jobs got into a big to do over this back in my home town. I don't know what ever became of it. I'm not in favor of communities forcing people to preserve old houses, but at the same time, the idea of knocking a house like this down and putting up another xxx-revival piece of "architecture" makes me want to walk into the the foyer of the new place and take a large dump. it is really sickening, on some level.

5. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

Steve Jobs got into a big to do over this back in my home town. I don't know what ever became of it.

I'm not in favor of communities forcing people to preserve old houses, but at the same time, the idea of knocking a house like this down and putting up another xxx-revival piece of "architecture" makes me want to walk into the the foyer of the new place and take a large dump. it is really sickening, on some level.

Don't bother with him, he doesn't like 'em modern ar-tist and their nonsensical work. Degree 0 of culture, sees everything through an economical lense = wow!

Architecture comes with it's own problems as it is as utilitarian as it is artistic but simply throwing the towel and saying we don't have a responsability to preserve anything is crass.

6. hopkins_student

I'm not in favor of communities forcing people to preserve old houses, but at the same time, the idea of knocking a house like this down and putting up another xxx-revival piece of "architecture" makes me want to walk into the the foyer of the new place and take a large dump. it is really sickening, on some level.
    And this is a very reasonable position.

7. Bill Smith

Bill Smith Senior member

You have no appreciation for architecture and history.

It really pisses me off when people demolish a structure that has historic significance and/or is one-of-a-kind. Modernist architecture from the 1950's-1960's is vanishing rapidly and soon we will regret doing so when there is nothing left. As someone else stated, the same thing happened in the 60's with Victorian structures being demolished in favor of more modern looking buildings. Now there are very few surviving buildings from that era due to the "urban renewal" of the 60's. People just don't get it.....

It's the same all over my neighbourhood is nice 2500-3000Sq ft houses built on big lots in the early 1960s all pretty tasteful designs. In the past few years the infill developers have been buying them up for about $1million CAD, tear them down and put up some pistach country Manor/French Chateau at 5-60oo sq ft and ask for $2.5 million for it. I hope a couple of these guys are caught with a couple of empty Loire Valley Specials on their books and go bust.

8. apropos

apropos Senior member

blah blah blah yak yak yak
    [​IMG]

9. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Really now? I'm a member of the Minnesota Preservation Society and we pay the costs alright. We also volunteer. Ya know - where you help without getting compensation..... How exactly are we selfish? We're trying to preserve something so others can enjoy it. You know the saying "You don't know what you have till it's gone"? That's why we do this. How the hell you thought up this "selfish" bullshit is beyond me

10. B1FF

B1FF Senior member

Really now? I'm a member of the Minnesota Preservation Society and we pay the costs alright. We also volunteer.

You are a fucking saint. But, hopkins was talking about "people seeking to have government prevent property owners from demolishing older structures and building new ones."

See above.

11. apropos

apropos Senior member

You are a fucking saint. But, hopkins was talking about "people seeking to have government prevent property owners from demolishing older structures and building new ones."

See above.

So much vitriol, so little reading comprehension.

12. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

What do you think preservationists are supposed to do? You missed the point completely....

So much vitriol, so little reading comprehension.

+1

13. B1FF

B1FF Senior member

What do you think preservationists are supposed to do? You missed the point completely....

You bragged that you "pay the costs" - perhaps what you should do is BUY THE HOUSE from him? It isn't rocket science.

14. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I think it shows poverty of spirit to simply disregard all historical structures as the sentiment appears to be here.

15. visionology

visionology Senior member

It is true though, if the structure was so important the historical society should have purchased the property and labeled it as such. If you wait to complain after someone has purchased the property then it's too late. I'm sure the new structure probably isn't as nice but that is beside the point, the guy owns the property and can build a house shaped like a giant dog if he wanted to.

Here in CT they have the historical society on everyone's asses because of the old homes. I remember a couple years back a guy painted his house down by the shore and the town didn't like his color choices so they all got together and complained. He decided then to paint his house fluorescent green as a big F-U to the society.