1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

RIP Good Taste.

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by LabelKing, Jan 4, 2009.

1. Agnacious

Agnacious Senior member

I have little patience for people seeking to have government prevent property owners from demolishing older structures and building new ones. If it bothers you that much make an offer to the property owner, otherwise butt out.

Though perhaps overstated, I agree there is a little too much of the "save it because it's old" mentality that is used to try and save insignificant structures.

The best thing to happen to Chicago was the fire. Boston could use a similar one.

2. Brian278

Brian278 Senior member

You've got to draw the line somewhere. Whitehall (Henry Flager's estate that is now a museum) isn't going anywhere, because enough people give a shit. The Breakers aren't going anywhere. These are actual landmarks. You can't save everything. People have a right to sell their property to whoever they want, if the place was that significant, it wouldn't have been torn down. The place looks more to my tastes than whatever inelegant monstrosity he's probably going to replace is with, but whatever, it's his money, and the town isn't going to buy up every house that's marginally architechurally important just to prevent their destruction.

3. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike Senior member

I have little patience for people seeking to have government prevent property owners from demolishing older structures and building new ones. If it bothers you that much make an offer to the property owner, otherwise butt out.
    "Culture" isn't really your thing, is it?

4. romafan

romafan Senior member

Is this the Peter Cohen of Lehman fame?

Surely you mean infamy? You couldn't be blamed for assuming so, given the crass selfishness of the act, but who knows?

5. SWiFt08

SWiFt08 Member

I'm not really bothered by it if we move on to some next level steez.

6. apropos

apropos Senior member

"Culture" isn't really your thing, is it?
    Nah, he's just unable to see the 'big picture' and is more than happy to sacrifice sense on the alter of idealogy.

7. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

That's why I buy Rembrandt paintings and burn them.
    Why do you want to create global warming? Just gesso those mothers up.

8. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I stomp on those abortions.

9. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Big deal. That house looks like any old building we had on campus.

You have no appreciation for architecture and history.

It really pisses me off when people demolish a structure that has historic significance and/or is one-of-a-kind. Modernist architecture from the 1950's-1960's is vanishing rapidly and soon we will regret doing so when there is nothing left. As someone else stated, the same thing happened in the 60's with Victorian structures being demolished in favor of more modern looking buildings. Now there are very few surviving buildings from that era due to the "urban renewal" of the 60's. People just don't get it.....

10. RyJ Maduro

RyJ Maduro Senior member

It really pisses me off when people demolish a structure that has historic significance and/or is one-of-a-kind. Modernist architecture from the 1950's-1960's is vanishing rapidly and soon we will regret doing so when there is nothing left. As someone else stated, the same thing happened in the 60's with Victorian structures being demolished in favor of more modern looking buildings. Now there are very few surviving buildings from that era due to the "urban renewal" of the 60's. People just don't get it.....

It makes me wonder if, forty years from now, preservationists will lament the razing of "classic" turn-of-the-millenium Tuscanesque villas and faux-Georgian McMansions.

11. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

It makes me wonder if, forty years from now, preservationists will lament the razing of "classic" turn-of-the-millenium Tuscanesque villas and faux-Georgian McMansions.

I don't think they'll really think anything of those, just as many preservationists now seem to simply overlook 1930s Tudors and historic late 19th-early 20th century farmhouses.

12. apropos

apropos Senior member

Also, there is a distinct difference between a clearly novel thread of architecture, and a 'attempt at homage/recreation' type deal.

13. dusty

dusty Senior member

apparently there's a town in ohio where most of the municipal buildings were designed by saarinen at the request of the town benefactor. the po, the church, the dmv. i may finally have a reason to go to ohio.

I smell a kunk/dusty/conne meetup

14. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I'll be there in spirit.

15. Girardian

Girardian Senior member

This was truly tragic. Honestly, I could not watch the entire video.

It's not just the end of "good taste" it signifies corruption (or at least undue influence), short sightedness, and a lack of communal outrage at stupidity and the destruction of historically significant works.

The people who propose and approve such acts should be deeply ashamed and the house should have been purchased by someone interested in a historical rennovation rather than a historically idiotic destruction.

16. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

stranger things have happened.

17. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

[​IMG] I will challenge kunk to a benching competition.

18. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

more like it.

[​IMG]

I will challenge kunk to a belching competition.

19. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

more like it.
    Gimme a gallon of Diet Coke and I'll take you to town.

20. SField

SField Senior member

Gimme a gallon of Diet Coke and I'll take you to town.

Diet coke? Are you a fucking midwestern housewife?