• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 3: Yeossal handwelted shoe with lasted shoe trees

    We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

    The 2nd auction is for a pair of handwelted shoe with lasted shoe trees courtesy of Yeossal. Please bid often and generously here

    Fok and the Styleforum Team.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

RIP Good Taste.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
May 24, 2002
Messages
25,745
Reaction score
251

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Apr 27, 2007
Messages
18,440
Reaction score
2,957
i've never understood people who spend tons to build new houses that look like old houses. progress, people. progress.
 

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
May 24, 2002
Messages
25,745
Reaction score
251
Originally Posted by thekunk07
i've never understood people who spend tons to build new houses that look like old houses. progress, people. progress.

And then the interiors are almost always some kind of abortive hybrid of cheesy contemporary with bits and pieces of old designs.
 

Connemara

[URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']
Joined
Mar 9, 2006
Messages
39,510
Reaction score
1,758
Who the fuck wants a Colonial or Federal style house in Palm Beach?! Travesty, I say.
 

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Dec 5, 2006
Messages
12,416
Reaction score
155
Better it be destroyed than be in the hands of someone who does not appreciate it.
 

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Apr 27, 2007
Messages
18,440
Reaction score
2,957
yessir. we tried to buy a Victorian in cranford new jersey several years ago but no one was selling because many young monied people were buying them up, 2 at a time and connecting them with some kind of horrifying turret in the middle. we're resigned to staying in our current house until we can find/afford enough land to build a dwell house.


Originally Posted by LabelKing
And then the interiors are almost always some kind of abortive hybrid of cheesy contemporary with bits and pieces of old designs.
 

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jul 28, 2003
Messages
4,458
Reaction score
1
why is it that when there is a newspaper article on a significant building, they rarely include a good picture of the building?
 

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jul 8, 2004
Messages
3,238
Reaction score
197
I have little patience for people seeking to have government prevent property owners from demolishing older structures and building new ones. If it bothers you that much make an offer to the property owner, otherwise butt out.
 

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
May 24, 2002
Messages
25,745
Reaction score
251
Originally Posted by thekunk07
yessir. we tried to buy a Victorian in cranford new jersey several years ago but no one was selling because many young monied people were buying them up, 2 at a time and connecting them with some kind of horrifying turret in the middle. we're resigned to staying in our current house until we can find/afford enough land to build a dwell house.

It's interesting--back in the '60s, it was the Victorians and other traditional buildings that were being demolished in favor of Modernist constructions. Now it's the Modernist edifices that are in danger, being ironically replaced with schlocky "Heritage" and faux-Tuscan buildings.
 

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jan 3, 2007
Messages
5,880
Reaction score
8
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Now it's the Modernist edifices that are in danger, being ironically replaced with schlocky "Heritage" and faux-Tuscan buildings.

Don't forget the McMansions.

I do agree though that I don't understand why someone would be building a colonial-style house in South Florida.
 

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Apr 27, 2007
Messages
18,440
Reaction score
2,957
apparently there's a town in ohio where most of the municipal buildings were designed by saarinen at the request of the town benefactor. the po, the church, the dmv. i may finally have a reason to go to ohio.


Originally Posted by LabelKing
It's interesting--back in the '60s, it was the Victorians and other traditional buildings that were being demolished in favor of Modernist constructions. Now it's the Modernist edifices that are in danger, being ironically replaced with schlocky "Heritage" and faux-Tuscan buildings.
 

sloane3

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 30, 2008
Messages
272
Reaction score
0
Big deal. That house looks like any old building we had on campus.
 

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Joined
Dec 20, 2004
Messages
26,534
Reaction score
12,593
Originally Posted by hopkins_student
I have little patience for people seeking to have government prevent property owners from demolishing older structures and building new ones. If it bothers you that much make an offer to the property owner, otherwise butt out.

That's why I buy Rembrandt paintings and burn them.
 

Doc4

Senior Member
Joined
May 15, 2008
Messages
799
Reaction score
2
Originally Posted by hopkins_student
I have little patience for people seeking to have government prevent property owners from demolishing older structures and building new ones. If it bothers you that much make an offer to the property owner, otherwise butt out.

Originally Posted by Fuuma
That's why I buy Rembrandt paintings and burn them.

Right on, brutha!

Let's see how many tacky offences to civilisation and our cultural heritage we can commit, unless we are paid whopping great wads of cash, of course.
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

  • 1 - 4

    Votes: 25 3.4%
  • 5 - 10

    Votes: 129 17.4%
  • 11 - 20

    Votes: 236 31.8%
  • 21 - 30

    Votes: 118 15.9%
  • 31 - 40

    Votes: 67 9.0%
  • 41 - 50

    Votes: 47 6.3%
  • 51 - 60

    Votes: 23 3.1%
  • 61 - 70

    Votes: 21 2.8%
  • 71 - 80

    Votes: 16 2.2%
  • 81 - 90

    Votes: 6 0.8%
  • 91 - 100

    Votes: 7 0.9%
  • 100+

    Votes: 48 6.5%

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
428,614
Messages
9,221,132
Members
193,571
Latest member
zdumo
Top