RIP Good Taste.

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by LabelKing, Jan 4, 2009.

1. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

2. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

i've never understood people who spend tons to build new houses that look like old houses. progress, people. progress.

3. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

i've never understood people who spend tons to build new houses that look like old houses. progress, people. progress.

And then the interiors are almost always some kind of abortive hybrid of cheesy contemporary with bits and pieces of old designs.

4. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

Who the fuck wants a Colonial or Federal style house in Palm Beach?! Travesty, I say.

5. robin

robin Senior member

Better it be destroyed than be in the hands of someone who does not appreciate it.

6. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

yessir. we tried to buy a Victorian in cranford new jersey several years ago but no one was selling because many young monied people were buying them up, 2 at a time and connecting them with some kind of horrifying turret in the middle. we're resigned to staying in our current house until we can find/afford enough land to build a dwell house.

And then the interiors are almost always some kind of abortive hybrid of cheesy contemporary with bits and pieces of old designs.

7. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Senior member

why is it that when there is a newspaper article on a significant building, they rarely include a good picture of the building?

8. hopkins_student

hopkins_student Senior member

I have little patience for people seeking to have government prevent property owners from demolishing older structures and building new ones. If it bothers you that much make an offer to the property owner, otherwise butt out.

9. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

yessir. we tried to buy a Victorian in cranford new jersey several years ago but no one was selling because many young monied people were buying them up, 2 at a time and connecting them with some kind of horrifying turret in the middle. we're resigned to staying in our current house until we can find/afford enough land to build a dwell house.

It's interesting--back in the '60s, it was the Victorians and other traditional buildings that were being demolished in favor of Modernist constructions. Now it's the Modernist edifices that are in danger, being ironically replaced with schlocky "Heritage" and faux-Tuscan buildings.

10. JetBlast

JetBlast Senior member

Now it's the Modernist edifices that are in danger, being ironically replaced with schlocky "Heritage" and faux-Tuscan buildings.

Don't forget the McMansions.

I do agree though that I don't understand why someone would be building a colonial-style house in South Florida.

11. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

apparently there's a town in ohio where most of the municipal buildings were designed by saarinen at the request of the town benefactor. the po, the church, the dmv. i may finally have a reason to go to ohio.

It's interesting--back in the '60s, it was the Victorians and other traditional buildings that were being demolished in favor of Modernist constructions. Now it's the Modernist edifices that are in danger, being ironically replaced with schlocky "Heritage" and faux-Tuscan buildings.

12. sloane3

sloane3 Senior member

Big deal. That house looks like any old building we had on campus.

13. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

I have little patience for people seeking to have government prevent property owners from demolishing older structures and building new ones. If it bothers you that much make an offer to the property owner, otherwise butt out.

That's why I buy Rembrandt paintings and burn them.

14. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Suitsupply-sider

Is this the Peter Cohen of Lehman fame?

15. Doc4

Doc4 Senior member

That's why I buy Rembrandt paintings and burn them.

Right on, brutha!

Let's see how many tacky offences to civilisation and our cultural heritage we can commit, unless we are paid whopping great wads of cash, of course.