• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RIP Big East Basketball

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's a sad day and an end of an era. The most storied and competitive college sports league in NCAA history is falling apart because of purely money-driven motives. Syracuse and Pitt have gone to the ACC, UConn I am sure will follow suit shortly.

I guess non Big East college basketball fans won't care, but for those of us that like college hoops, this is a a big shift in the landscape. A lot of the best rivalries will die off. Of course, this is America and college football rules the collegiate roost, so it was bound to happen sooner or later. Still sucks though. That is all.

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's a sad day and an end of an era. The most storied and competitive college sports league in NCAA history is falling apart because of purely money-driven motives. Syracuse and Pitt have gone to the ACC, UConn I am sure will follow suit shortly.

I guess non Big East college basketball fans won't care, but for those of us that like college hoops, this is a a big shift in the landscape. A lot of the best rivalries will die off. Of course, this is America and college football rules the collegiate roost, so it was bound to happen sooner or later. Still sucks though. That is all.

I would feel the same sense of saddness only if Georgetown jumped ship as well. Let's see who applies for Big East membership with this two schools gone.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Providence College BABY!! Still got that powerhouse in da Big East!!!

seriously though I did attend a providence college week long summer basketball camp in the 90's (it was a rick barnes thing) and had to sleep in the girls college dorms. it was the most stupid planning ever because every ******* night we (13yo boys) were creeping around and sneaking into the girls rooms and showers (all I got to see was a couple of fat anglo girls through shower doors though).:fu:

The big east will always be a powerhouse conference just because of the betting lines/action produced by the north east mafia rings though. Thats what really fueled the interest in that conference where I came from.

Johdus Fanfoozal

Reaction score
I hate how mediocre football can destroy great basketball in a nano-second.

Best for the bball-only schools to strike out on their own and pick up Xavier, Dayton and other like-minded programs. Won't be the same without Cuse, UConn and Pitt, but can still compete nationally and won't constantly have to look over their shoulders for football teams to defect.

St. John's
Georgetown
Villanova
Notre Dame
Providence
Seton Hall
Marquette
DePaul

Xavier
Dayton
Maybe others

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I hate how mediocre football can destroy great basketball in a nano-second.

Best for the bball-only schools to strike out on their own and pick up Xavier, Dayton and other like-minded programs. Won't be the same without Cuse, UConn and Pitt, but can still compete nationally and won't constantly have to look over their shoulders for football teams to defect.

St. John's
Georgetown
Villanova
Notre Dame
Providence
Seton Hall
Marquette
DePaul

Xavier
Dayton
Maybe others

Still some good classic rivalries in there, but as a UConn fan, it really hurts to lose all those annual matchups against Gtown, Nova, ND, St Johns, etc. =(

That is assuming UConn follows suit and joins the ACC. Even if they don't, losing Syracuse and Pitt REALLY sucks. Those were the two best rivalries UConn had.

Johdus Fanfoozal

Reaction score

Still some good classic rivalries in there, but as a UConn fan, it really hurts to lose all those annual matchups against Gtown, Nova, ND, St Johns, etc. =(

That is assuming UConn follows suit and joins the ACC. Even if they don't, losing Syracuse and Pitt REALLY sucks. Those were the two best rivalries UConn had.

Agreed. Would love to have UConn in there. But you can't have a conference with competing interests between the football and basketball-only schools. It's just not sustainable.

It's interesting reading some of the 'Cuse boards. A lot of fans are just as pissed with the move as I am.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads