• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RIP Anthony Bourdain

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I just watched the Hong Kong episode of 'Parts Unknown' last night.

I read his books. Watched his television programs. Ate at some of the places he ate at. Makes me regret not trying the 'Obama' Bun Cha in Hanoi last week.

Damn, again.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty shocking. Right after Kate Spade too.

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shame- I'm a big fan of his. If there's nothing else on, we usually Netflix one of his shows.

popman1967

Reaction score
He seemed like a guy you could have a drink and a laugh with not judgmental at all....maybe relationship issues but we all have those. I was genuinely shocked when I saw this news and a chill ran up my spine which doesn't happen often when these stories hit the headlines.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Bourdain's life was a story of redemption. He was pretty upfront about his history of addiction, of literally selling his personal treasures on a street corner to get another fix. His career was in shambles, his personal life a mess. From there he worked his way off intervenous drugs, into a steady job that fit him well (Brasserie Les Halles,) and was able to work on his writing. As we all know it was his writing that was the stepping stone to his world wide fame. A true shame to end such a tale of redemption in this manner but none of us know the demons in another person's head.

His first best seller, Kitchen Confidential, had a huge impact on me as in the few years prior I had been rapidly expanding my knowledge and palate. His love for the industry and life style was so very apparent. The man lived like a boss and strode the world as a colossus. He lived on the edge for many decades and sometimes a person takes one step too far and the edge wins.

RIP to a man of intellect, wit and humour, a bon vivant of epic proportions. He was my spirit animal.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
RIP to a man of intellect, wit and humour, a bon vivant of epic proportions. He was my spirit animal.

You, me (primarily for the travel), and millions of others, judging by the internet tributes that have been posted in the past few days. I wish Bourdain could have known while he was alive how many lives he touched. I'm generally not affected by deaths of celebrities I've never met, but Bourdain was different. Probably because he felt like a friend, an incredibly blunt, witty, and profane friend who you had over ever week to regale you with stories of his travels. And you would hang on his every word, and it would never get old, because you knew he wasn't doing it for the social media posts and likes, but because he had the passion for food, for culture, for LIFE. You wish you could be him, but you couldn't because there's only one Anthony Bourdain. So you did the next best thing and step out of your comfort zone to try that new restaurant across town serving cuisine you've never heard of or visit that country on the other side of the world without paved roads. And that will be his lasting legacy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.2%

Staff online

Forum statistics