• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rio & Buenos Aires

kungapa

Reaction score
I'm planning a little trip to Rio and to Buenos Aires. I will be in Rio for carneval, and then onto Argentina.

Any suggestions on good places to see and eat - especially in BA, since I will be there the longest - would be appreciated.

Also, anything specific I should look into getting while there. Any good local brands or craftsmen to pick some interesting things up from?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'll get back to you about BA. don't know rio

kungapa

Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
I'll get back to you about BA. don't know rio

Thanks! I really appreciate it.

I'd be especially interested in good stores and/or Argentina-specific brands and stores, as I would think that is something SF might know better than most places.

Sazerac

Reaction score
Can't speak to Rio, but I just got back from BA.

There are a lot of leather stores around, 95% of it is cheap crap. There are several higher end options, however. Rossi y Caruso is by far the best in terms of quality of workmanship. It's pricey by Argentine standards, though still far below Hermes or even LV. They have a broad range of merchandise and all of it is well made. Another leather option is Casa Lopez. They use excellent leathers, but the workmanship isn't on the same level as RyC. It's still good stuff, though, especially for the price. I picked up a great weekend bag in black pebble grain leather from Lopez and am very satisfied with it. The designs at Casa Lopez tend to be a bit bolder and more innovative than those at RyC. Both brands have several locations around town.

In terms of food, in you're looking for just the Argentine staples of steak and malbec, it's hard to go too far wrong. There are countless options available in every neighborhood. In terms of more innovative restaurants, however, I must say that BA was a bit of a disappointment. I ate at several high end "foodie" restaurants, and while they made a good effort, the results fell a little short of what I would call truly great. And these higher end restaurants aren't that much cheaper than what you'll find in the States, either.

Be forewarned, most restaurants seem to do only one or two seatings a night. Service is very leisurely. Expect to have dinner no earlier than 10:00 PM and expect it last over two hours.

In terms of activities, there are a number of great clubs and bars, the names of which I unfortunately cannot recall because of the aforementioned availability of cheap and delicious malbec.

Two tips: taxis are very cheap, and the subte costs almost nothing. Getting around is extremely easy, although traffic can often be terrible, even in the middle of the night. Also, everyone will tell you to go to Avenida Florida. Don't. At least for shopping. There are some great street musicians there, but the shops usually contain nothing at all worth buying, especially the local leather goods.

kungapa

Reaction score
There are a lot of leather stores around, 95% of it is cheap crap. There are several higher end options, however. Rossi y Caruso is by far the best in terms of quality of workmanship. It's pricey by Argentine standards, though still far below Hermes or even LV. They have a broad range of merchandise and all of it is well made. Another leather option is Casa Lopez. They use excellent leathers, but the workmanship isn't on the same level as RyC. It's still good stuff, though, especially for the price. I picked up a great weekend bag in black pebble grain leather from Lopez and am very satisfied with it. The designs at Casa Lopez tend to be a bit bolder and more innovative than those at RyC. Both brands have several locations around town.
Thanks! With some luck I'll be able to get a nice green breast wallet...

In terms of food, in you're looking for just the Argentine staples of steak and malbec, it's hard to go too far wrong. There are countless options available in every neighborhood. In terms of more innovative restaurants, however, I must say that BA was a bit of a disappointment. I ate at several high end "foodie" restaurants, and while they made a good effort, the results fell a little short of what I would call truly great. And these higher end restaurants aren't that much cheaper than what you'll find in the States, either.
I think steak and malbec is the way to go then! Thanks for the heads up.

Sazerac

Reaction score
You just be able to find such a wallet. RyC had more wallets than I've ever seen anywhere, all of them quite well made and in a variety of leathers.

Hope you enjoy your trip.

Which hotel/neighborhood are you staying in?

adidasfan

Reaction score
Rio will be a blast.
The party doesnt stop.

Pickup a cheap snake-skin wallet they are amazing ultra thin.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads