• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ring Jacket

efta

Reaction score
Skrädderi Bakkali was recommended by Lund and Lund and they seem very competant.

If lund and lund recommends them I don't think you need to worry (L&L also carries a lot of RJ and is held in high regard). Personally, I use Vivian, and you'll see her recommended frequently.

professorclee

Reaction score
though they might want to add a few more footnote they talk about TAJ-02 by talking about 254 except they didn't talk about 254... (though I think 254 is basically same as 253?)
I didn't see 254 initially either and was disappointed as that's the one I wear, but it's there, just out of numerical order. I think you have to use the right arrow to see it in that row.

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Supply & Advise in Miami has a number of Ring Jacket suits and sport coats on sale and is doing extra 40% off with code extra40. I had my eye on one but it sold before the discount dropped this low (sad face).
The more recent jackets are the TAJ fit and older ones are the 256/254/253 (some of the product descriptions list which fit, but not all. You can email them to ask however).

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Supply & Advise in Miami has a number of Ring Jacket suits and sport coats on sale and is doing extra 40% off with code extra40. I had my eye on one but it sold before the discount dropped this low (sad face).
The more recent jackets are the TAJ fit and older ones are the 256/254/253 (some of the product descriptions list which fit, but not all. You can email them to ask however).

Are these American fit (like those made for The Armoury) or Japanese fit (size up needed)?

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently picked up a brown balloon wool jacket on sale and was fascinated by RJ's claim that it's a 10-month fabric, so I made a video to test the proposition.

I would be more curious about the weight and how the fabric wears in hot and cold weather than the color, and how that matches.

professorclee

Reaction score
I would be more curious about the weight and how the fabric wears in hot and cold weather than the color, and how that matches.
Indeed. As I mention a couple of times in the video it's an unlined balloon wool so it seems breathable but also has some "wooliness" to it that makes me think it would not be ideal in the hottest part of summer. The open weave seems doable for winter because it doesn't look sheer and can be mitigated with a brushed cotton shirt or a turtleneck under it.

Easily Amused

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Armoury Model 6, in dark blue Dormeuil Vintage Sportex.

IMG_4092.jpg

professorclee

Reaction score
Not sure if I'm late to this news, but I just read on Die Workwear that Taiwa, who distribute RJ in Europe and North America, is shutting down--hence their ongoing sale prices, which is a clearance rather than only COVID motivated (though surely the pandemic must be the primary factor leading to their closure). I am now contemplating what this means for the future availabiity of RJ including the TAJ models, which were exclusively made for Taiwa distribution.I just discovered the TAJ fit, which is in some ways better than the 254, but I imagine that will be gone.

kevinsvindland

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Not sure if I'm late to this news, but I just read on Die Workwear that Taiwa, who distribute RJ in Europe and North America, is shutting down--hence their ongoing sale prices, which is a clearance rather than only COVID motivated (though surely the pandemic must be the primary factor leading to their closure). I am now contemplating what this means for the future availabiity of RJ including the TAJ models, which were exclusively made for Taiwa distribution.I just discovered the TAJ fit, which is in some ways better than the 254, but I imagine that will be gone.

Worry not!
It is being kept alive by Kapil who was the sales director in TAIWA. He set up his own agency.
He is also bringing different new styles, previously only available in Japan.

Prices are also lowered by a few percent, which is nice.

PDandG

Reaction score
Anyone have advice on how to best care for my Balloon fabric jacket? Seems like brushing would be too much on the weave.

Thanks.

Last edited:

professorclee

Reaction score
Anyone have advice on how to best care for my Balloon fabric jacket? Seems like brushing would be too much on the weave.

Thanks.
Definitely keep cats off of it--I speak from experience. Not sure about the brushing. Seems like it should be able to take it on the shoulders, for example, but I have only done it lightly.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads