• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ring Jacket

Vamp-ire

Reaction score
The front looks fine, shoulders, length, and waist look right. I'd take the sleeves up an inch. Hard to tell about the back without a good shot where you aren't twisting to get a decent shot. I'm also a 39 and take a 50 in Ring Jacket. I think it's just a matter of how full you like it, but this looks like it works.

The neck you think wouldn't be an issue with bunched fabric? I'm trying to get a year out of the suit before I need to size up. I gained 7 lbs on my body since lockdown so I should have it gone by October.

I was worried the buttons in the front looked too strained and the front of rhe jacket wasn't laying right. My shoulders fit well. I'm skinny fat right now though.

Arms feel alright, have to talk to my tailor about trimming them, but with a shirt they fit alright, my hands aren't covered

Edit, fabric isn't pulling at back at all, can hug myself and feel no resistance.

ahtynes

Reaction score
The neck you think wouldn't be an issue with bunched fabric? I'm trying to get a year out of the suit before I need to size up. I gained 7 lbs on my body since lockdown so I should have it gone by October.

I was worried the buttons in the front looked too strained and the front of rhe jacket wasn't laying right. My shoulders fit well. I'm skinny fat right now though.

Arms feel alright, have to talk to my tailor about trimming them, but with a shirt they fit alright, my hands aren't covered

I think part of the upper back bunching is because you were straining your arms for the shot, but if it's like that when you're standing normally your tailor can alter it by "lowering the collar." It's a pretty simple fix AFAIK. I can't really give good advice on the weight stuff other than to say that you should focus on getting the shoulder where you want it. If you need to take in/let out in the waist and hips over time that's fine. There's a little bit of pulling going on at the buttoning point, if it bothers you you can let out the waist but I wouldn't do more than 0.25-0.5" based on these pictures.

Vamp-ire

Reaction score
I think part of the upper back bunching is because you were straining your arms for the shot, but if it's like that when you're standing normally your tailor can alter it by "lowering the collar." It's a pretty simple fix AFAIK. I can't really give good advice on the weight stuff other than to say that you should focus on getting the shoulder where you want it. If you need to take in/let out in the waist and hips over time that's fine. There's a little bit of pulling going on at the buttoning point, if it bothers you you can let out the waist but I wouldn't do more than 0.25-0.5" based on these pictures.

It doesn't feel like the button is pulling at my front, but at my sides. Maybe once I get it in order it'll fall together. Probably isn't worth the funds altering it yet without seeing if I drop 10lbs.

The neck stood like that when I wasn't moving after taking the photos. Once I pulled it down it didn't happen again.
I have broad shoulders so I was concerned about it not fitting once I build muscle.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Edit, fabric isn't pulling at back at all, can hug myself and feel no resistance.
Out of curiosity, why are you looking at such a short window of use for the suit? Unless you beat the ever loving **** out of it, a suit of RJ's quality should last you far longer, unless your body undergoes drastic changes.
The buttons may be a touch tight, but, if you're planning to lose some weight, I'd leave it as is before futzing around with it. Worst case, you can always leave it unbuttoned, but I suspect nobody will bat an eyelash at the fit as is.

Vamp-ire

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, why are you looking at such a short window of use for the suit? Unless you beat the ever loving **** out of it, a suit of RJ's quality should last you far longer, unless your body undergoes drastic changes.
The buttons may be a touch tight, but, if you're planning to lose some weight, I'd leave it as is before futzing around with it. Worst case, you can always leave it unbuttoned, but I suspect nobody will bat an eyelash at the fit as is.

More shots of the neck and back unflexed.

Big problem is I was playing club rugby before the pandemic, I've always been a 39 or 40 suit. However, guven my ahoulders it's difficult to find a good fit in ALOT of clothes. A few years ago I fit smalls but now, not even being muscular, my shoulders now breach into some large sizes. I generally am a medium in 80% of things.

I think this suit would be better if it were a 52R but I can't return it and at the price I paid I got a fair deal. I'm unemployed and needed a new suit for interviews and spotted this one. Online would be too difficult to hunt one down to my exact fit. I knew this would fit either exact or a tinge small.

Plus I'm 25... still have room to grow honestly.

Attachments

• 20200807_201546.jpg
    20200807_201546.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 119
  • 20200807_201627.jpg
    20200807_201627.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 210
  • 20200807_201732.jpg
    20200807_201732.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 201

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like a decent fit, get the sleeves shortened, pants hemmed (how do they fit in the waist/seat?) and you should be good to go. I wouldn't mess with slimming the sleeves, that is usually unnecessary.

Your tailor will let you know if you need to let out the jacket in the midsection just a bit (hard to tell from the pics, maybe yes, maybe no) or lower the collar a bit....

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gotcha. All things considered, it's a good enough fit as is (no small feat if you're generally tough to fit), so I wouldn't fret it too much.
Best of luck on the hunt. You can do FAR worse than RJ and that fit when making a first impression...

Vamp-ire

Reaction score
Looks like a decent fit, get the sleeves shortened, pants hemmed (how do they fit in the waist/seat?) and you should be good to go. I wouldn't mess with slimming the sleeves, that is usually unnecessary.

Your tailor will let you know if you need to let out the jacket in the midsection just a bit (hard to tell from the pics, maybe yes, maybe no) or lower the collar a bit....

As long as it looks good enough until I can afford to get another suit that's not thrifted or ebayed I'll be happy.

The pants fit me perfectly, out side of the seat puckering I feel questionable about and think no one will notice (always have problems with this) I just need them hemmed as they're unfinished.

I'm pushing for waiting until I lose more weight. I don't feel any abscence of space where the buttons are. Just slight tension.

Regarding the jacket, what's the white lining on the top of the shoulders?

Vamp-ire

Reaction score
Gotcha. All things considered, it's a good enough fit as is (no small feat if you're generally tough to fit), so I wouldn't fret it too much.
Best of luck on the hunt. You can do FAR worse than RJ and that fit when making a first impression...

Thank you! I hate being a 39 in American sizes as most places don't make 39 in broad shoulders like a 40 eithout making the jacket too long. I'm generally a size 50 in most European fits.

I'm finicky with my clothes fit and I'm trying to idiot proof my wardrobe where it can leave a little room for me to grow without costing a ton in tailoring. I don't want to have to buy new clothes every few years because my thighs get bigger and my chest things and rebuilds muscle.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It’s a basting stitch, and meant to be removed. Similarly if the vents are basted shut, please remove these as well.

Shortening sleeves is an inexpensive alteration, and needed on most jackets like finishing the trousers, your tailor will also attach the sleeve buttons.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Some great deals on suits and sport coats at Supply & Advise. Snagged a Tan VBC and Spence Bryson Tobacco Linen suit for 700-800 each. Plenty of sizes and styles left

not a single EU46...

compuccesory

Reaction score
The collar roll is caused by either shoulders more square or a posture that's more upright than what the suit was designed for. The non-Armoury RJ cuts are for a slightly stooped posture hence the collar roll. A competent tailor can fix it for about $50-$75. I saw the piece on Nordstrom Rack too, I already grabbed one of the $600 suits off Nordstrom, if it had been in my size it would have been mine.

Vamp-ire

Reaction score
The collar roll is caused by either shoulders more square or a posture that's more upright than what the suit was designed for. The non-Armoury RJ cuts are for a slightly stooped posture hence the collar roll. A competent tailor can fix it for about $50-$75. I saw the piece on Nordstrom Rack too, I already grabbed one of the $600 suits off Nordstrom, if it had been in my size it would have been mine.

Thank you! My apologies for not replying immediately, I'm thinking of putting off the collar roll as it's not essential, while I did get a great deal on the suit, I'm ttying to avoid unnecessary tailoring. I'm unsure if I'll be outgrowing it in a year, might as well hold off until I know for certain as I start losing weight again.

jacksonmeade9

Reaction score
I'm looking closely for these 'Balloon' blazer series jackets but still have not decided with the color yet. I'm gonna wear it with jeans, so maybe I should not care about color too much :rolleyes:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads