• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ring Jacket Japan

bry2000

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes, same size. I can use a little more room in the chest in both models. They are ok for RTW, but would add a little room to the chest if I were to go MTM.

I am going to let out the waist area in the 254 model. It looks fine standing still, but would like more comfort. By contrast, I will have to take in the waist of the AMJ03.

The length of the 254 is near perfect. The AMJ is a little over 1 cm longer — still within a reasonable length tolerance. The other AMJ that I considered (same size) was longer — too long for my taste.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I took in the waist on my AMJ03 in 46 quite a bit for sure, since we got the sample sale I decide to got one in EU44, jacket a bit shorter than I like, though workable, otherwise just pretty much spot on everywhere.

Easily Amused

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For any owners of Balloon Wool sports jackets - do you find the fabric to be sheer/translucent, especially in bright/outdoor light?

From a few images of the backs of the Balloon jackets on Ring Jacket’s web shop, the model’s shirt is showing beneath. Not sure if this is very bright lighting, or if this is the “normal” natural property of the fabric. Here’s the most noticeable example…
1561.jpg

I’m asking as I’m close to pulling the trigger on an RJ Balloon blazer, but may pass if the consensus from owners indicates see-through…

Thanks in advance!

Easily Amused

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had an off white one and it wasnt see through

i am selling one on ebay. i find it's translucent when photoing.

i think it's not good to match a too light color shirt underneath.
View attachment 975805

Interesting, and thanks. Seems the darker the color of the jacket, the more noticeable the the shirt/trousers underneath, like this one.
1864_1024x1024.jpg

The jacket I'm considering is a dark blue (not navy) DB from Supply and Advise. Weighing my options, and what in my current wardrobe would compliment it without showing through...

benjamin831

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Apparently you can only do custom orders or MTOs in-person in Japan. I enquired about making a suit with the jacket and pants in different sizes but they said this can only be done in stores. What a bummer.

kickstand

Reaction score

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Apparently you can only do custom orders or MTOs in-person in Japan. I enquired about making a suit with the jacket and pants in different sizes but they said this can only be done in stores. What a bummer.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by only available in Japan. I have done a MTO at the Armoury in NYC, and it was a great experience. They offer it whenever. They also offer MTM, but only during trunk shows.

Your profile says you're in LA. Khaki's of Carmel is your closest retailer. I have no idea if either of these stores or any of the other retailers would do a MTO over the phone, but you could give them a call. If all you want is a different a different size pair of pants, it seems like something they could accommodate.

CDRMC

Reaction score
Comparison between AMJ01 and AMJ03 on me:

IMG_0232.jpg
IMG_0270.jpg

I am trying to decide which model I like better. The shoulders are the main difference -- AMJ01 is more structured. It is also fully lined and the buttons stance looks higher. AMJ03 is unlined and feels more casual. Both are size 46

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads