• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ring Jacket Japan

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Nordstorm in NYC carry Ring Jacket, not sure about other Nordstorm

Crispyj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I ordered from La Marche in South Korea. David Jang, the owner is a really great guy. Fast shipping to the states and price wasn't that bad. I got a Ring Meister equivalent suit in Calm Twist for under $1000 total. Check out his website, using Google Translate, haha. If you find something you like, just dm him on Instagram for sizing and questions.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I ordered from La Marche in South Korea. David Jang, the owner is a really great guy. Fast shipping to the states and price wasn't that bad. I got a Ring Meister equivalent suit in Calm Twist for under $1000 total. Check out his website, using Google Translate, haha. If you find something you like, just dm him on Instagram for sizing and questions.

How is the fit compared to the one carried by the Armoury?

Crispyj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How is the fit compared to the one carried by the Armoury?
La Marche models fit like regular Ring Jackets, which is small (catering to Japanese markets), so you would size up one size. The Armoury has its own models, so the sizing is more normal. I would wear 48R for Armoury, for La Marche I sized up to a 50R. Also, La Marche might be a bit slimmer for the trousers, but pretty similar to regular Ring Jacket stuffs.

Crispyj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what do they carry 184/254/253?
No, it's like The Armoury, they have their own model, but it is much closer to the Ring Jacket models you mentioned. Google translate does wonders. He has around 5-6 models:

LMJ01 is classic but I think he retired this model.
LMJ05 is wide straight lapels.
LMJ06 is classic Neapolitan (AMJ03 equivalent).
LMJ04 is double breasted.
Handgrade models are Ring Meister equivalent in handiwork done. Armholes are pretty high, which are very nice.

There are some very nice fabrics like Dormeuil Sportex for sport jackets for $1100-ish which is very fair priced.
I'll post some pictures once I get it back from my tailor and get the button holes made.

Here's a link describing his LMJ06, use google translate haha.

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got my first Ring Jacket. Bought it from Nashville's best menswear store Haymakers & Co. in order to support them while the city is under "shelter in place" and non-essential business closure restrictions. Felt silly but the SA there shipped it the 20-minute drive to my house. Anyway, it's the TAJ-02 fit. It's basically perfect, save for sleeve length, which is a tad short for me. I could maybe size up one to get some more room in the armholes and shoulder (the size I got fits really well so sizing up would be more of an insurance policy for future dadbod weight gain).

Anyway, here's a photo of it.

IMG_7347.jpeg

inTROYspection

Reaction score
I could maybe size up one to get some more room in the armholes and shoulder (the size I got fits really well so sizing up would be more of an insurance policy for future dadbod weight gain).

This is a real problem that I've also grappled with. I'm hopeful that building a wardrobe for one's current body shape acts as an incentive to maintain one's physique. ?

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is a real problem that I've also grappled with. I'm hopeful that building a wardrobe for one's current body shape acts as an incentive to maintain one's physique. ?
Really only the Armoury models are built for Western bodies in the armhole and shoulders. I was thinking of getting a 256 so I asked Kapil for sizing advice, and he said size up one from my 254 size, which is already a size up from my normal. So I'd be getting a 56 for the 256 (and it'd probably still be snug in the armhole).

dcjohnson

Reaction score
How do you like it compared to some of your other brands?

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do you like it compared to some of your other brands?
Hey, didn't see your post before. I love it. Fabric is great, fit is great. Compared to Eidos it's a cleaner fit on me, and the construction of the shoulder is cleaner, more consistent.

That said, I'm putting it up for sale, because I'm beginning to prefer jackets that are longer on me, particularly in the front, and this jacket is a little on the shorter side.

Last edited by a moderator:

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
ring jacket is always going to be on the shorter side especially the stuff for asia market

edit: which is a great thing for me, no need to chop jacket length!

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ring jacket is always going to be on the shorter side especially the stuff for asia market

edit: which is a great thing for me, no need to chop jacket length!
Yep. BOC is fine, but it's just the front balance that feels a tad short.
That said, it's more a matter of personal preference on me. After trying that NMWA Carrara jacket, I'm thinking I'd like to keep that longer-in-the-front thing going with new purchases going forward.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Really only the Armoury models are built for Western bodies in the armhole and shoulders. I was thinking of getting a 256 so I asked Kapil for sizing advice, and he said size up one from my 254 size, which is already a size up from my normal. So I'd be getting a 56 for the 256 (and it'd probably still be snug in the armhole)."

Maybe that's why Khakis of Carmel dropped the line a year or two ago. I usually wear 44R,
sometimes 46R in Belvest, Isaia, Partenopea, H Freeman. The Ring 44R fit me like a 40R

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I normally wear a 39/40 and went with the 40 at the Armoury and it only needed slight adjustments. Was the most I ever spent on RTW but would definitely do it again in a heartbeat.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads