• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ring Jacket Japan

StockwellDay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I purchased my first RJ at the Armoury and then several others in Japan directly. I can't say I noticed a difference in the quality, at all

I feel sorry for you. I hope that 33% savings is worth the better different design and fit you're missing out on.

conradwu

Affiliate Vendor
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'm curious to quantify what those differences actually are though.

Are we talking better fabrics? I know the fit is different.

On Carminas the mark up is from $470 to $550 (not counting shipping, as no way to know what they pay). So that is around a 17% mark up not counting shipping.

Given that 33% sounds a little high of a mark up for the same thing, although they do buy a lot more Carminas than jackets probably.

Not necessarily better, just different. Armoury stocks RJ house fabrics (creamy waffle etc.) but also pick out their own to be made by Ring Jacket as a manufacturer. For example, if you look on the webstore you'll notice they offer a few Harris Tweed options which aren't available through RJ directly.

You pay the small premium for Carminas because sometimes the model/color combo you want aren't available (unless by MTO) through Carmina's webstore or found anywhere else (ie Simpson last in Cognac). Keep in mind there are only 2 retailers, compared to Carmina, which carry RJ in the US hence the higher mark up.

Last edited:

ezlau

Reaction score

I'm curious to quantify what those differences actually are though.

Are we talking better fabrics? I know the fit is different.

On Carminas the mark up is from $470 to $550 (not counting shipping, as no way to know what they pay). So that is around a 17% mark up not counting shipping.

Given that 33% sounds a little high of a mark up for the same thing, although they do buy a lot more Carminas than jackets probably.

I have recently bought a Ring Jacket chinos from The Armoury for $375 from their store, and was informed that alterations was included, which could easily cost $20 or more (I think shipping is as well) - My card was only charged $375. My point is, I think the $550 Carminas might already include shipping (which some place like LeatherSoul charges $50 for shipping IIRC), but I might be wrong.

EDIT: Shipping cost around $12 based on the online shopping checkout. So I think Conrad's explanation makes sense as far as special make-ups.

Last edited:

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have recently bought a Ring Jacket chinos from The Armoury for $375 from their store, and was informed that alterations was included, which could easily cost $20 or more (I think shipping is as well) - My card was only charged $375. My point is, I think the $550 Carminas might already include shipping (which some place like LeatherSoul charges $50 for shipping IIRC), but I might be wrong.

EDIT: Shipping cost around $12 based on the online shopping checkout. So I think Conrad's explanation makes sense as far as special make-ups.

$375 for chinos?

SMH.....

MSchapiro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

By shipping I meant that Carmina price does not include shipping to the USA from their webstore, so hard to know what the Armoury's real mark up is here from Carmina retail to US.

Good point about retailer channels. I will see what the Armoury has to offer anyway.

SeamasterLux

Reaction score
I feel sorry for you. I hope that 33% savings is worth the better different design and fit you're missing out on.

1. that's highly subjective and depends on your morphology

2. don't feel sorry, I think I know how to recognize better design when I see one
smile.gif

ezlau

Reaction score

By shipping I meant that Carmina price does not include shipping to the USA from their webstore, so hard to know what the Armoury's real mark up is here from Carmina retail to US.

Good point about retailer channels. I will see what the Armoury has to offer anyway.

Ah okay that makes sense. I think the shipping for Carmina is quite close to $50 a shoe if I recall correctly the last time I tried to buy them. It is more for 2 shoes (something like $75 or so). I think it still ends up cheaper than buying from retailer here, but it's probably more of a convenience for people to buy from the armoury / epaulet than doing a wire transfer to Carmina etc. (and possibility of import duties you have to pay).

fknandrew

Reaction score
Update:

Suit just arrived.

Shipping took 2 days (shipped on 20th, arrived 22nd). Quote was 3-4 days.

No customs paid.

Relatively smooth transaction despite the language barrier.
Hi,
Was this a custom suit or off the rack? I am looking for a custom made suit that I can order online and if you were able to do it, that would be super for me!

TheOttosauraus

Reaction score
"These" Brands are Beams,and of course- Yohji Yamamoto. there are others. and everything is available online.
This is false; Beams suits are fused and Yohji is a totally different aesthetic than RJ.

TheOttosauraus

Reaction score
Hi,
Was this a custom suit or off the rack? I am looking for a custom made suit that I can order online and if you were able to do it, that would be super for me!
Ring Jacket only offers RTW as of now, or at least only offers RTW overseas.

HighToned

Reaction score
Always funny to speak about Ring Jacket to Japanese people in the clothing business.
Most of they will say, "it's the Caruso of Japan.... they produce for many labels in Japan such as United Arrows, Urban Research, Beams..."

I found them pretty good !

Ring Jacket offers 4 different order systems and ready-to-wear collection.

1 ° )
"Measure made" from ¥119,700 (tax included)
You choose your fabric, they will adjust your measurements from their basic RTW collection.

2 ° )
"Personal Order" from ¥159,600 (tax included)
You choose your fabrics, lining, buttons.
They will do around 11 measurements for the jacket and 8 measurement for the trouser.

3 ° )
"Full Order" from 186,900 (tax included)
Same as "Personal Order" but everything is made at Yodoyabashi in Osaka. (Company of Ring Jacket is based at Osaka)

I think that now RJ got a Ring Jacket Meister in Aoyama shop (Tokyo).

4 ° )
"Special Order" from ¥262,500 (tax included)
Bespoke service only available at Yodoyabashi (Osaka) done by master tailor, Fujita Kazuhiro.
Mr Fujita works in tailoring for more than 60 years now.

TheOttosauraus

Reaction score
Ring Jacket only offers RTW as of now, or at least only offers RTW overseas.
Sorry, I was mistaken. They do only do RTW overseas but they have both MTM and Bespoke in store.

This is false; Beams suits are fused and Yohji is a totally different aesthetic than RJ.
I also need to correct this, Beams offers half and full canvas suits but the idea that they are better than RJ is ridiculous because their higher end tailoring is made by RJ.

muchisgiven

Reaction score
Has anybody ever ordered a RJ from Rakuten.co.jp Their prices are a little bit to good to believe. If anyone has ordered anything from there I would love to know what your experience was like?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads