1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ring Jacket Japan

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by conradwu, Jul 31, 2013.

1. MSchapiro

MSchapiro Senior member

It is interesting to see. I have no problem with the armoury charging a mark up, but at still at the stage of my life where I'm pretty price sensitive.

2. conradwu

conradwu Senior member Affiliate Vendor

The mark up is reasonable, imo. I prefer The Armoury's models over stock RJ due to my build but ymmv. Of course if you fit perfectly in stock RJ (especially in the chest/shoulder) then there's no reason to pay extra.

1 person likes this.
  3. StockwellDay

StockwellDay Senior member

33% markup for what's essentially the same product? We have different ideas of reasonable.

4. conradwu

Hence the "imo" and "ymmv" with an explanation why.

Have you tried both stock RJ and Armoury models?

5. StockwellDay

Fair enough and I haven't... I'm making a decision informed by info here that the construction is the same, but the models are different. And so, to me, and I'm presuming others here, it's not really worth it to investigate further; I have all the info I need.

Just one guy's completely subjective opinion and a question without a "right" answer.

6. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Shipping and duties for goods imported from Japan are a bitch.

7. emptym

emptym Senior member Moderator

The products are not essentially the same and it's not merely subjective. As you yourself said, the models are different. This means, as CW said, that the fit, material and style are different. These seem like objective differences that could be the basis for a reasonable decision. Still, you're right that whether or not these differences are important to you, may be subjective. You imply that construction differences are the only ones that matter. But I'm sure you've paid more money for things that are constructed the same as cheaper things but have the fit, material and/or style you prefer -- and that you've thought this was reasonable.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
  8. MSchapiro

MSchapiro Senior member

I'm curious to quantify what those differences actually are though.

Are we talking better fabrics? I know the fit is different.

On Carminas the mark up is from $470 to $550 (not counting shipping, as no way to know what they pay). So that is around a 17% mark up not counting shipping.

Given that 33% sounds a little high of a mark up for the same thing, although they do buy a lot more Carminas than jackets probably.

9. StockwellDay

ok

10. SeamasterLux

SeamasterLux Senior member

I purchased my first RJ at the Armoury and then several others in Japan directly. I can't say I noticed a difference in the quality, at all

11. StockwellDay

I feel sorry for you. I hope that 33% savings is worth the better different design and fit you're missing out on.

12. conradwu

Not necessarily better, just different. Armoury stocks RJ house fabrics (creamy waffle etc.) but also pick out their own to be made by Ring Jacket as a manufacturer. For example, if you look on the webstore you'll notice they offer a few Harris Tweed options which aren't available through RJ directly.

You pay the small premium for Carminas because sometimes the model/color combo you want aren't available (unless by MTO) through Carmina's webstore or found anywhere else (ie Simpson last in Cognac). Keep in mind there are only 2 retailers, compared to Carmina, which carry RJ in the US hence the higher mark up.

13. ezlau

ezlau Senior member

I have recently bought a Ring Jacket chinos from The Armoury for $375 from their store, and was informed that alterations was included, which could easily cost $20 or more (I think shipping is as well) - My card was only charged $375. My point is, I think the $550 Carminas might already include shipping (which some place like LeatherSoul charges $50 for shipping IIRC), but I might be wrong.

EDIT: Shipping cost around $12 based on the online shopping checkout. So I think Conrad's explanation makes sense as far as special make-ups.

14. Viral

Viral Senior member

$375 for chinos?

SMH.....

15. MSchapiro

MSchapiro Senior member

By shipping I meant that Carmina price does not include shipping to the USA from their webstore, so hard to know what the Armoury's real mark up is here from Carmina retail to US.

Good point about retailer channels. I will see what the Armoury has to offer anyway.

16. SeamasterLux

SeamasterLux Senior member

1. that's highly subjective and depends on your morphology

2. don't feel sorry, I think I know how to recognize better design when I see one [​IMG]

17. ezlau

ezlau Senior member

Ah okay that makes sense. I think the shipping for Carmina is quite close to $50 a shoe if I recall correctly the last time I tried to buy them. It is more for 2 shoes (something like $75 or so). I think it still ends up cheaper than buying from retailer here, but it's probably more of a convenience for people to buy from the armoury / epaulet than doing a wire transfer to Carmina etc. (and possibility of import duties you have to pay).

18. fknandrew

fknandrew Active Member

Hi,
    Was this a custom suit or off the rack? I am looking for a custom made suit that I can order online and if you were able to do it, that would be super for me!

19. TheOttosauraus

TheOttosauraus Well-Known Member

This is false; Beams suits are fused and Yohji is a totally different aesthetic than RJ.

20. TheOttosauraus

TheOttosauraus Well-Known Member

Ring Jacket only offers RTW as of now, or at least only offers RTW overseas.