Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Ring Jacket Japan

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by conradwu, Jul 31, 2013.

1. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl The Moral Squirrel Dubiously Honored Moderator

Their prices vary quite a bit depending on the fabric. I don't know what custom patterns start at, but they can get all the way up to about $2,200 just for a sport coat.

2. dalevy

dalevy Senior member

I got a customized fit for a navy suit. I think the starting for that was like 2200 in basic fabrics. This was also at the trunk show by khakis. Perhaps pricing will be different in Japan.

3. ramses smuckles

ramses smuckles Well-Known Member

Thanks, guys, I think I've got it. Starting from $1,600 for basic MTM and $2,200 for a custom pattern. I imagine prices will be a bit cheaper in Japan but not too different.

I'd still like to hear from someone who's familiar with their MTM program over there. Anyone?

@dalevy , how did you like your suit?

4. dalevy

dalevy Senior member

I'm super happy with it. I had a few alterations done through the khaki's free of charge though, some not so simple. Took off a little more in the lat area, let out the thigh a bit. And of course other minor things like hem, sleeve, etc. So I guess it wasn't spot on at first. I'd say I got my money's worth by going through khaki's. The shoulders and super important stuff were great though.

5. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

pricing in japan is way different.

There is a US retailers markup - go to japan and get it cheaper.

Japanese prices I am showing are

MTO (with basic changes) - "Measure made" starting at ~$1250
    MTM (almost everything can be changed, but no second fitting)- "Personal Order" starting at ~$1615
    ~Bespoke with basting - "Full Order" starting at ~$1970

Last edited: Apr 1, 2016

6. dalevy

dalevy Senior member

this makes sense.

7. ramses smuckles

Thanks, dalevy. Sounds promising.

Thanks also, venividivicibj. That's good value indeed. I'm only going to be there for 2 weeks so I guess bespoke is out of the question. Are those suit prices?

8. randomax

randomax Senior member

Ramses - did you end up buying a suit in Tokyo? Would like to hear of your experience. I usually visit for work but very briefly. If MTM is possible without a trial at that price point I'd be very interested.

9. ramses smuckles

Yes, I did, but keep in mind that the prices posted earlier in the thread aren't representative of what you'll get at the shop. The $1,615 figure (for a MTM suit) is for their baseline fabrics, which they call grade 1. They have tens of these price tiers and at the time of my visit, the cheapest available was grade 4. I can't remember now which grade fabric I picked for my suit, but it was one of the lower ones. It came out to about $2,400 including delivery.

As for their MTM process, they'll have you try on one of their RTW suits and they'll make adjustments from there. If they don't have your size in the model you want then you're out of luck. I made a fair few changes from the RTW model, but some things (internal coat pockets, side adjusters, trousers rise) they wouldn't alter. Delivery time was just under 2 months.

The jacket turned out much too small for me, which was surprising because the RTW model fit quite well. I guess their preference is for very close fitting suits, so if you don't share it then be sure to tell them.

Personally, I wouldn't repeat the experience unless I could get a second fitting. If you travel there often, it'd be wiser to drop in to place your order and get measured, then visit them again in 2 months for a fitting.

10. randomax

randomax Senior member

Thanks Ramses - very helpful. I'm going to swing by their shop the next time I'm visiting and at least check out the RTW collection

11. sunicole

sunicole Senior member

this is helpful

12. sunicole

sunicole Senior member

wow , that's almost half off

13. Renault78law

Renault78law Senior member

Do they make long sizes?

14. fal32

fal32 Senior member

it seems like Rakuten only sells up to size 52 in the mod 184? Bummer because I am a size 54 [​IMG]