1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Rimowa or Halliburton

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by GuidoWongolini, Mar 30, 2008.

1. PShow

PShow Active Member

I have been using ZH Aluminum luggage for 10 to 15 years and love it. Very basic internal compartments but whenever an issue came up, ZH was fantastic to deal with. They provided new wheels and a few locking mechanisms no questions asked! If I were buying now, I may look into Rimowa, Tumi Poly or Samsonite Black Label line.

2. earthdragon

earthdragon Senior member

Looking at picking up a Rimowa case tomorrow.
    I would appreciate any feedback - 'pro's/con's' on 2 wheels versus 4.

I only had a cursory glance last night.

Thanks

3. Omegablogger

Omegablogger Senior member

You must get a 4 wheeler, an absolute joy to use.

4. GuidoWongolini

GuidoWongolini Senior member

Looking at picking up a Rimowa case tomorrow.
    I would appreciate any feedback - 'pro's/con's' on 2 wheels versus 4.

I only had a cursory glance last night.

Thanks

- Daz, wait till I'm back in HKG next week if you want to have a look at my well travelled Rimowa.
    - FWIW - 4 Wheels are the way to go, just so much easy to push when lining up etc.

5. earthdragon

earthdragon Senior member

omegablogger / PG thanks guys.

6. mert54

mert54 Senior member

I have a carbon haliburton briefcase. I don't carry it daily, so I am probably not the best to listen to on durability, but it has been fine for me. I only wish I had bought a bigger one because, being a hardcase, it won't stretch to fit some stuff, so I leave out some stuff.

7. III

III Active Member

8. dobe44

dobe44 New Member

I looked at these two lines for about 6 months before making a decision about a year ago and am glad I did. Here's what I learned:

Rimowa Pros:
    A little lighter
    Looks Good
    More Popular (if you find security in numbers)

Rimowa Cons:
    Flimsy
    Dents very easily
    More Popular (very popular in Europe and Japan)

Halliburton Pros:
    Sturdier
    Freewheel Option
    Style - Looks good and very distinctive

Halliburton Cons:
    A little heavier
    Scratches very easily
    Wheels aren't as fluid as they could be

Which did I buy? The 21" Freewheel Zeroller. The pros and cons balanced out between the two pretty evenly but the style of the Halliburton was hard to beat. I never see anyone else with an aluminium Zeroller and the Freewheel option looks great and is effortless to use.

Thanks to researching this forum and others, I was aware of the tendency for Halliburton to scratch: don't let that deter you. On the one hand, when they're beaten up I think they look pretty cool. On the other hand, if you take care of them and only carry-on (I can share some other tricks if there's a request) you can keep them looking pristine for a long time.

9. contaygious

contaygious Senior member

10. ziggyosk

ziggyosk Senior member

I'm a suitcase noob but isn't one of the benefits to having a Rimowa or Halliburton it's security? That's kind of moot when traveling though because the airlines don't let you lock your suitcase correct?

11. contaygious

contaygious Senior member

I thought the locks were airline approved?

"Combination lock with TSA technology which facilitates the security standard required to enter the USA"

I'm currently leaning towards a 26 or 29 Rimowa Salsa. There's a 32 in the store, but it only has 2 wheels Not sure I really need 4 as all I would be doing is going from a car straight to check in.

12. navysuede

navysuede Senior member

13. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

If you like the Zero at all, overstock.com has amazing prices on them now.

eg:

http://www.overstock.com/Luggage-Bag...6/product.html

Thanks to this like, I picked up a ZeroH case, which I have been using. The case and accessories are very well designed. I had a problem with the wheels on my first int'l flight and warranty service was excellent.

14. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

15. smartcashmere

smartcashmere Member

I have 3 pieces from the Topaz Gold Series. I also saw these while i was looking at luggage http://www.steamlineluggage.com/ sort of like more affordable Globetrotter. I like the producer series.

16. Mr Knightly

Mr Knightly Member

Sorry to resurrect this. I was just doing a little luggage research and I came across a trademark complaint, filed by Rimowa against Zero Halliburton just a few weeks ago in federal court. Zero Halliburton is apparently using similar ribs on one of their new cases. Rimowa says that this is a trademark, and actually asserted the following:

"The product features that make up the Mark, specifically including the distinctive horizontal bands, are non-functional and non-essential to the use or purpose of the luggage products."

Of course, they have to say that if they want to have a trademark case. If they were functional, then there would be a perfectly legitimate reason to copy them that had nothing to do with attempting to confuse consumers.

17. JL724

JL724 Senior member

Both look great in pictures, but the quality in person leaves a lot to be desired.

Weight restrictions for flying don't condone building cases out of high quality metal materials, so cheap looking plastic is substituted in a lot of places.

Everyone talks about the "patina" they form over time. Mostly they just end up like this and getting replaced with ballistic nylon bags:

[​IMG]

18. cretaceous_cretin

cretaceous_cretin Senior member

Yes, it is shocking to find out how flimsy the Rimowa luggage is. I crushed the corner of an attache by accidentally dropping it and turned a $1200 case into something to take to the shooting range to use for target practice - Rimowa couldn't repair it (even with me paying for it). Total waste of money, worthless product.

BTW, I do use ballistic nylon bags for flying.

19. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

I wanted to bump and update this thread. I'm looking to buy both larger checked sized luggage and cabin carryon size. Been looking at Rimowa Topas (aluminum case) but then today I remembered Zero Halliburton. SInce this thread was started Rimowa has become a lot more expensive than Zero. Plus you can find deals on ZH were I haven't seen any on Rimowa.

Both will get scratched with use.

ZH is only about a pound heavier that Rimowa in roll-on size.

ZH seems to have improved it's wheels, locks and handle extension since this thread was started back in 2008. Plus, airline travel and restrictions have only become worse. :(

Anyone with current experience with both ZH and Rimowa?

20. nohit

nohit Active Member

I have both aluminum and polycarb Rimowas, and to be honest I won't buy another of either. The metal one ended up with lots of big dents and scratches after a couple trips to the states (10+ trips within Asia didn't make a mark). The polycarbs are fine for the most part, but the Rimowa tag has fallen off of one. Before my next trip I'll replace the large one with a big Globetrotter. I got a tentative pre-approval from the wife already 8).

If Rimowa still only makes the larger sizes in metal, look elsewhere.