• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rimowa - Anyone Have Experience With the Limbo or Topas?

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And it's interesting Lufthansa is being that strict. I find US airlines are usually more pedantic about the restrictions than say Asian or European carriers… but I've pretty much hated all US airlines for years now. I guess I'll find out what happens when I head home for Christmas with all my Rimowas in tow!

Mike Davis

Reaction score
With regards to weight, the polycarbonate Rimowa cases beat the aluminium ranges - the Salsa Air in particular. However the Topas/ Classic Flight ranges (aluminium) have the desired Rimowa look, which is, let's face it, the core reason behind anyone looking to invest in one.

If you are leaning towards polycarbonate, keep in mind that with weightlessness comes sacrifice. I think the aluminium cases are more durable, will last longer.. as although they may dent, they rarely crack?

But if it is the bright ranges of coloured cases that appeal to you - I would recommend polycarbonate over the painted aluminium (Limbo), as when these scratch it can be quite obvious.

All in all Rimowa is a fantastic brand and it really depends on what you prioritise in your luggage. I have a Topas and a Salsa Air - my wife ends up using the Salsa Air more than me as it is lighter, whereas I prefer the Topas. The price varies but as long as you can find a good deal, Rimowa's are definitely worth it. I'm from the UK and have got mine from www.charlesfordlondon.com both on offer

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will buy a Rimowa in silver aluminum when they make a carryon that is 14" wide so I don't have to risk checking it on United or American. Still surprised that it has been a year since the two airlines began enforcing the new measurements. They don't do it all the time, but who wants to have a surprise bag check at the gate because an agent decides to enforce the rules.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn't post after Christmas but I had no problems on Delta with any of my Rimowas... either checked or carried on.

tokteacher

Reaction score
I have been mightily disappointed with the two Rimowa's (Limbos) that we have purchased. Costing 1,000 USD a piece, we have yet to make a multi-stop trip without one or the other being severely damaged. On our trip from Kuala Lumpur to Bangkok, the clasp was snapped and a hole punched in the polycarbonate shell. Rimowa will not fix or replace, as they explained their warranty "only covered defects." Well, I am assuming something this expensive went through some sort of quality control so that there are no initial defects. However, the only way to keep your Rimowa bag intact seems to be to leave it in the closet. I have any number of inexpensive bags that have stood up far better than these two overpriced and overly delicate pieces. I will never buy RImowa again. This is for rich tourists who can afford the aluminum versions, which I imagine might stand up a bit better. We purchased the best polycarbonate model and have had nothing but trouble. I would advise--STAY AWAY, FAR AWAY!!!!

whirlwynds

Reaction score
I have been mightily disappointed with the two Rimowa's (Limbos) that we have purchased. ... I would advise--STAY AWAY, FAR AWAY!!!!

Second this. I owned three topas, the large suitcase, medium suitcase, and sports trunk. Briggs and Riley or Travelpro Platiunum Elite more functional and cheaper with better warranty. Bottom line, rimowa is too expensive, but moreover too HEAVY for the capacity.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads