• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rimowa - Anyone Have Experience With the Limbo or Topas?

tomg38

Reaction score
Rimowa doesn't stand behind their product. After one trip, an outside corner cracked. It was taken to the luggage company
(Bags 'n Baggage in Austin, TX.) and they sent it to a Rimowa repair facility. When it finally was returned later than promised and
luckily just before another international flight, it was patched on the inside but the outside cracking was still visible. After 3 or 4 emails back & forth with their customer service rep., nothing was done. They called it "functionable" but the appearance is now
that of a suitcase with a cracked end. Am I wrong or is this a refusal to make things right, especially for an expensive high-end
product that supposedly has a 5 yr. warranty. Very disappointed and bordering on angry......

tomg38

Reaction score
This was a real experience. Why would it not be. Don't understand your inference.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
because, especially here at SF - when the very first post dredges up an old thread to disparage a brand or refer another, it's spam:

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have an old model zero large size four wheeler. The case itself is awesome. I had multiple problems with the wheels, which they replaced, and it is now trouble free. It is a pre TSA lock, which is too bad as I can't use the built-in lock and I can't use my own. Not only that, but for a while, I found a TSA-was-here inspection card inside it on almost every trip. That hasn't happened more recently.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been asking a lot of road warriors what to get. Most day any luggage will get damaged at some point. That is a simple reality.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
yeah or be one of those idiots that wrap their luggage in saran wrap, or better yet just use a box and wrap it in packing tape to make it sturdy.

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Rimowa doesn't stand behind their product.  After one trip, an outside corner cracked.  It was taken to the luggage company
(Bags 'n Baggage in Austin, TX.) and they sent it to a Rimowa repair facility.  When it finally was returned later than promised and
luckily just before another international flight, it was patched on the inside but the outside cracking was still visible.  After 3 or 4 emails back & forth with their customer service rep., nothing was done.  They called it "functionable" but the appearance is now
that of a suitcase with a cracked end.  Am I wrong or is this a refusal to make things right, especially for an expensive high-end
product that supposedly has a 5 yr. warranty.  Very disappointed and bordering on angry......

i have a local store that is also a rimowa-authorized repair shop. very lovely people there. they fix pretty much anything in a day. never had a problem with support there.
enough for me to order a replacement topas piece this week

that said, if you want utmost purchase protection, get the stuff with lifetime, no-questions-asked warranty.

yeah or be one of those idiots that wrap their luggage in saran wrap, or better yet just use a box and wrap it in packing tape to make it sturdy.

i think that is more to serve as deterrent against content-theft, than it is for cosmetics protection

tomg38

Reaction score
I'm pleased to hear that your store that is also a Rimowa-repair location, repaired your suitcase satisfactorily. Alas, that hasn't
been my experience. And no this isn't spam as an earlier poster inferred. I am a real person with no agenda and definitely not
a competitor of another company. Maybe that happens in SF but not with me. However, I am sending copies of the emails back and forth to Rimowa's Germany headquarters.

samadhi27

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I remember seeing this offered at an Italian airport -- in the terminal there was a small stand, manned by a young fellow, that offered to wrap up your luggage in red saran wrap for a few euros. It was advertised to deter theft and to keep your luggage from exploding when thrown around by baggage handlers.

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have had multiple Rimowas.. just received a carry on as a birthday gift and cannot wait to use it!

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bummer that United, American and Delta have all changed their carryon policies this year with a maximum size of 22 x 14 x 9. It doesn't appear that a single Rimowa works for the cabin. They all must be checked. Surprised they aren't offering one in this size as of yet. It has been what 7 months or more. And I hear plenty of stories about these airlines enforcing the size. One friend missed his flight having to go back and check it in.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone else having problems since March of this year with carrying on their Rimowa?(when United, Delta and American changed to a narrower 14" carryon bag size?)

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Anyone else having problems since March of this year with carrying on their Rimowa?(when United, Delta and American changed to a narrower 14" carryon bag size?)

Coincidentally I was at the Rimowa authorized repair guy today picking up my oldest, mega-beat aluminum beast, and I remembered having read your post earlier. I know the dimensions say the carry on is 10" or 10.5 (at least my Salsa Air is), but I asked the guy and he said no one has any problems with the new ones. The old ones were definitely wider and I won't know for sure until Christmas, but I'm definitely not checking that ****.

Just to update this is from Delta (only airline I fly home)

Baggage may not exceed 45 linear inches (or 114 cm) in combined length, width and height, including any handles and wheels
Baggage must fit easily in the Carry-on Baggage Check (approximately 22" x 14" x 9" or 56 x 35 x 23 cm), which is located near the check-in counters

It would seem that it's not absolute as far as those dimensions go, at least for Delta.

Last edited:

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting that Delta says "approximately", that isnt the case with United or American where they list 14" as the maximum width.

Here is a Rimowa that was rejected by American while loading onto Business Class. I'd be really pissed if an agent did this with my $1200 shiny aluminum roll-on.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...10/carry-on-luggage-bag-size-limits/10246511/

I'm headed for Europe and now find that Lufthansa wont let me take my Ghuka No 2 Express as a carryon since it wont fit in the box before boarding. It is several cm too wide. Just enough to not fit in the box even thought the length and height are OK. I don't want some agent checking at the gate, things I might want for a 10+ hour flight.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads