• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rimless Glasses

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My gf just purchased a pair of Lindberg Air Titanium from a local retailer. Service was great, all that.. turnaround was quick. Needless to say, we get the glasses back and you can see the cracking/drilled area around the holes; think "cloudy" around the holes.

Is this the norm?

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair as well, and mine developed cracks over time. It's never been cloudy.

--Andre

Countertenor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kronik
My gf just purchased a pair of Lindberg Air Titanium from a local retailer. Service was great, all that.. turnaround was quick. Needless to say, we get the glasses back and you can see the cracking/drilled area around the holes; think "cloudy" around the holes.

Is this the norm?

I think it goes with the territory. Mine have not gotten worse, though.

Maxten

Reaction score
Mine developed a hairline crack after two months. The optician was quick to replace them with no issues. It will be interesting to see how they last over a couple of years.

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My experience with first generation Lindberg rimless (Air Titanium as it was known then) was not that great. While it looks spectacular, the lens were prone to coming off. They even used some glue to keep the lens on the frames. These days they have a silicone bushing, but it is still quite unsophisticated.

If you like framed eyeglasses, you must give Strip Titanium from Lindberg a shot. The hinge design is amazing. Very clean lines and sturdy. You can also get matching clip-ons. I've had mine for 6 years and they are still going strong.

SGladwell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Silhouettes do have a cloudy white "tunnel" around the mounting posts, but no cracking around there so it's not inevitable. I think I bought them from that big glasses store on the Ring near the Staatsoper in Vienna. "Glass" is what was advertised ~6 years ago as "high index" polycarb with Transitions coating.

southbound35

Reaction score
Do you know what brand/model of lenses she bought? Occasionally, people will splurge on frames, then skimp on lenses. Most of the leading lensmakers have lenses that a specially made for drill-mount frames. In theory, there should be almost no cloudiness or cracking outside maybe 1 mm of the drill mount.

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
She bought whatever they recommended. She purchased 1 Lindberg and 3 Chanel frames, simultaneously. I would hope they didn't think she was cheap.

Seems silly to buy luxury frames and throw dollar store lenses in them.

Reuters

Reaction score
My rimless Silhouettes do not have any cracks for sure, not even hairline.

SJX

Reaction score
I've had my Lindberg Air Titanium for 2 years now, the only crack I can see is one on the left lense that is probably 0.2mm long. Aside from that, there are not other marks around the frame mounting holes.

Bandwagonesque

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will never buy another pair of rimless glasses again. I found them incredibly flimsy, and the ********** held the frame together were constantly coming loose. It was difficult to clean the lens around the drill holes, so they always looked dirty/greasy there. Ugh, too much of a hassle. No problems with cracked lenses though.

My latest pair are plastic rimmed Raybans, and after these, I'm never buying a pair of plastic rimmed glasses again either. Too bad I can never find metal frames that look good on me.

cloud9eleet

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reuters
My rimless Silhouettes do not have any cracks for sure, not even hairline.

Agreed, I have Silhouettes as well for 2+ years without issue.

Mute

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use Silhouettes. I've had mine for over two years and not a single problem. I'm pretty rough with my glasses too (3 year old daughter).

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bandwagonesque
I will never buy another pair of rimless glasses again. I found them incredibly flimsy, and the ********** held the frame together were constantly coming loose. It was difficult to clean the lens around the drill holes, so they always looked dirty/greasy there. Ugh, too much of a hassle. No problems with cracked lenses though.

My latest pair are plastic rimmed Raybans, and after these, I'm never buying a pair of plastic rimmed glasses again either. Too bad I can never find metal frames that look good on me.

You try Oliver People's? They got some really nice ones, and were the only ones that fit my fat face (not that you have a fat face, point being, there's something for everyone)...

Bandwagonesque

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
You try Oliver People's? They got some really nice ones, and were the only ones that fit my fat face (not that you have a fat face, point being, there's something for everyone)...
I've never seen them up here. My nose has a wide bridge, and my ears are set a little further back. To make things worse, one of my ears is just slightly higher than the other, resulting in always crooked glasses. I have a face for contacts. Too bad I can't stick **** in my eye!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads