1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Riedel stemware

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by hopkins_student, May 18, 2005.

1. Tyto

Tyto Senior member

For whiskey of all sorts, I'm perfectly happy with wine tasting glasses or sherry copitas (almost the same thing). I bought a bunch a few years ago at Pottery Barn for about $3 each.

That said, I'm intrigued by the scotch glasses shaped like the Riedels on Amazon (as well as other, similar shapes proffered by the likes of Michael Jackson and Dave Broom). I've only experienced them once, but found that they did a good job of showing the nose while not gathering so many fumes that my eyes watered (like the time I tried an Islay malt in a brandy snifter....). For some reason, I never feel like dropping $22+ each on them when I see them, but I know I'll fold eventually.

RJ: regarding Black Bottle--it can be had stateside, though few places carry it (the Wine and Liquor Depot in Los Angeles/Van Nuys sometimes does). I tried it once a while back and don't remember too much about it, which usually means that I enjoyed it well enough, but not enough to buy a bottle.

2. cuffthis

cuffthis Senior member

The Riedel Vinum vintage champagne glasses are excellent in that they have a little divit at the bottom of the bowl which puts a very, very elegant bubble stream up the center of the glass. This bubble stream will continue for a very, very long time. But the stems on these glasses are way to thin and really prone to snapping off. And at close to $20 each, that's painful. We had 50 champagne flutes at one time and are down to a little more than 30. [​IMG]

3. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Senior member

i am continually impressed with the photos you share of your house. [​IMG] /andrew

4. cuffthis

cuffthis Senior member

Thanks. Our house is located in a not trendy neighborhood, that is rapidly getter better though. If we could move our house 1 mile to the west, it would be worth 50 - 100% more. Crazy.

5. Andrew V.

Andrew V. Senior member

So am I.

6. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Senior member

it's good to be on the vanguard of neighborhood improvement, i think.

i ordered a couple sets of the vinum extreme wine tasting set, they just arrived today. they are impressively large glasses. i haven't removed them from the boxes yet (waiting for The Day), but they feel pretty solid, not at all fragile. i look forward to using them.

/andrew

7. FFW

FFW Active Member

Riedel is one of the best, it changed my life I can say. If you love wine you need good glasses.
    The glasses I enjoy most:
    Vinum Syrah glas: I drink a lot of Rhone/syrah based wines. But actually this glas is good for al good reds. Except for maybe pinot-noir based wines and lighter wines.

vinum extreme "chardonnay": A really fine glas to use, it is big so your buttery chardonnay wil have some air.

Vinum Extreme "Riesling": A good glas for most of the white wines. I drink my everyday whites in it. But also my Champagne although I have the Sommelier chamagne glass

8. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

Try the Sommelier Champagne glasses for an even more frightening depreciation rate. We've had a few shatter in our hands during washing. The bowls, not the stems.

But the Sommeliers are among the nicest-designed for bubbly that I've ever used. Makes the very fine Vinums seem positively clunky by comparison.

9. SGladwell

SGladwell Senior member

I guess I'll be the stick in the mud in that I'm not a fan of Riedel glasses. I grew up in a household with too many expensive broken Riedels. They're just too flimsy and too fussy. Worse, their more durable lines (the theoretically restaurant-only line, for example) have my major pet peeve, a seam on the stem.

The funniest thing I've seen recently are the Riedel-branded glasses at Target. Sub Ikea quality at a masstige price.

My favorite wine glasses, for both durability and aesthetics, are Schott-Zweisel's Titran line. They're titanium crystal rather than lead crystal. Their shape is elegant and they don't get cloudy-looking no matter how you treat them.

10. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

I've seen pictures of some of them, but haven't been up close. The few models I've seen in catalogues didn't send me. Sounds like a great idea, though.

In theory, if someone made stem-less (or short-stemmed) glasses out of that stuff, we could have truly dishwasher-safe glasses for every day-- Cotes du Rhone kind of juice.

11. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

We use a different Austrian crystal called Lobmeyr. They are not as wine friendly as Reidl, but infititely beautiful and I feel much better made than even the sommolier series.

12. Tarmac

Tarmac Senior member

I use a less expensive brand called Spiegelau. Riedel is definitely nice but more aesthetic than functional.

13. denarii

denarii Active Member

Out of curiosity, what's the verdict on the (seemingly countless number of ) special glasses for liquors like Scotch, bourbon, whatever? I'm no hardcore connoisseur, but if I'm paying top dollar for my booze is it worth my while to pick up a dedicated glass or two?

In my opinion, yes. However, you'll have to experiment to find the right match of stemware for your own personal tastes. I have stemware for champagne, brandy, red wine, and white wine. I personally can't taste the difference between the vinums I have for red and white wine (syrah vs. sauv blanc) -- although I am far from a typical wine enthusiast. The sommeliers are significantly thinner (hand blown crystal) than the vinums (machined), which has a noticeable affect on the aroma of the alcohol, and, unfortunately, on the chipping as well. I rarely drink champagne, so opted for the sommeliers (as a few others have suggested) ... to savour those special occasions.

As brandy and armagnacs are my staple, I have both the vinum snifters and the sommelier cognac xo's. I expected to use the vinums for the brandy that I drink and to reserve the cognac xo's for the more aromatic armagnacs, however, despite the recommendation of Riedel, I personally find the vinum snifters more enjoyable for my armagnacs. They deliver a much fuller aroma, and simply feel better in my hands. The downside is that the first scent billowing forth from the great bowl of the brandy snifter can occasionally singe my nose-hairs. Sure, this is resolved with the dainty bowl of the xo's, but the cost is a very noticeable muting in aroma (and consequently perceived taste) throughout the remainder of the drink. Here I can very clearly taste the difference delivered by the same alcohol through two different glasses (and, fortunately for me, I prefer the cheaper option).

So, this was a rather long-winded answer, but I hope it helps. Take the time to sample the glasses, and to decide the style that works best for you.

Oh, and as for the O-series? I used to detest the line as an abomination, but during a recent outing I enjoyed a caipirinha served to perfection in one of the o-series glasses (I believe it may have been the sommeliers stemless tasting glass, actually, but similar to the O-series style). I found it a very classy touch for a mixed drink, but would otherwise avoid the line.