• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Riding boots with suit?

kaizo

Reaction score
Last edited:

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think maybe you could do jodphurs, but it would be a little sketchy and slightly too slick. Chelseas with a suit, of course.

That style, which seems to reach to just below the knee? Probably a little too kinky to wear in a non-equine context.

kaizo

Reaction score
Its quite interesting that it was received in a similar light to how people view cowboy boots under suits. As in you can probably pull it off if you have a south of US or Mexican cultural pedigree.

Rowan

Reaction score
I wear field riding boots with my business suits most days. They're comfortable and look practically like dress shoes.

kaizo

Reaction score
Do you wear long socks or normal. Does the leather touching your calf irritate you?

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Visually there's nothing wrong with it at all, it will just look like you have dress boots on, which has been done forever. I don't wear boots that go up my calf like that (seems uncomfortable?) but I do always wear boots and I think they're more formal and flattering that shoes. People only notice when you're sitting down, at which point I think leather is a more interesting sight than socks, which seem a bit like flashing underwear. I think the thicker heel of boots is more graceful and masculine than the thin, flimsy heel of dress shoes. Plus larger heels elongate your legs which gives a more flattering silhouette. That being said, I don't like the shape of most cowboy boots- the tiny undercut heel is a little 'too' graceful (starts looking feminine), and they cause an odd strut.

Last edited:

Rowan

Reaction score
In reply to Kaizo, I wear long socks. Fortunately they don't slid down.

Svenn, I agree. Boot shafts are more interesting than socks. If I am sitting, I sometimes notice people glancing at my boots, no doubt trying to figure out how far up the shafts go. I've got a few comments over the years, invariably positive ones.

kaizo

Reaction score
Rowan could you be kind enough to post us a picture of your boots? I've recently seen it in berluti's advert and it looked good is it like this?:

berluti_campaign_Irons_Casiraghi_2.jpg

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Svenn, I agree.  Boot shafts are more interesting than socks.  If I am sitting, I sometimes notice people glancing at my boots, no doubt trying to figure out how far up the shafts go.  I've got a few comments over the years, invariably positive ones.

Yeah, it's true that seeing boot shaft can make one look a bit like a 60's rocker or 1890's banker or something, but unless you're also rocking inappropriately long hair or an unshaven appearance, I don't see how boots could ever give a negative impression. You might annoy some of the prissy steakhouse trad / brooks brothers crowd on SF, that love their socks, but that's about it.

Academic2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"[...]I I do always wear boots and I think they're more formal and flattering that shoes. [...]

The "more formal" part of this caught my eye. Could you elaborate on this? Anyone else?

(2) For the OP: Speaking as a former rider who has a few pair of tall dress boots like the ones in your link, they are always worn with breeches, which these days are skin tight and elastic and fit inside the boot, often being no lower than the top of the calf, and for competitions are usually white. The jacket can range from a 3-button sport coat style (with side vents) to a tailcoat (for upper level dressage, along with a top hat). But never a suit. (1)

Trust me: polishing a pair of these is no small undertaking. And breaking in a new pair of real riding boots might teach you the meaning of pain.

Cheers,

Ac

(1) Of course I'm talking English, not Western. I don't know anything about Western. The one exception to what I said above in the English saddle world would be the eccentric subculture of the Tennessee Walking Horse. Like many riders I abhor that group, for reasons I won't bore you with.

Last edited:

tcbrgs

Reaction score
I'm curious, what are the pro's of wearing these riding boots? I don't understand why you'd even want to wear them?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads