• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Riding boots with jeans?

camhabib

Reaction score
I'm from the wonderful Northeast, where when it rains or snows, it does so like the end of the world is coming. A lot of times you'll see women wearing riding boots (or just tall winter boots) with jeans tucked in, to protect themselves from the elements, while still looking a bit dressier. My question is, is it fashionably acceptable for a male to do the same? I have on order an actual pair of riding boots (mid/high calf brown riding boots which I use for polo). Has anyone done this or have seen this? Would it look odd or weird? Opinions welcomed.

Picture of boots:

1640.jpg

heavyd

Reaction score
it an old school somewhat ostentatious look for a man (one could say it has military connotations as well) - but if you are fit - you can pull it off.

slim cut jeans or pants, button down shirt, blazer, boots...

naturally, you would want to add a handsome cape to this ensemble weather permitting.

worship.gif

rioni

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
roll up your jeans to show those bad boys off

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I love riding boots! But without a horse nearby, they do start looking rather silly. It sounds like you need a Wellington boot that is just a little more dressy than the basic model.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't see those boots with anything other than riding breeches of some sort. Pairing them with jeans strikes me as an egregious sartorial anomaly.

...But, then, I'm not a horsemen.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Definitely look odd outside the stables. And with jeans?

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It usually is hard to walk in riding boots.

Zegnamtl

Reaction score
Many of my daughter's friends went through that phase about a year or two ago.
Borderline on a young girl at the beginning of the curve, on a man.....
devil.gif

dsmolken

Reaction score
I graduated from a traditionally military university in the US where the fourth-year ROTC members wore riding-style boots (though most had them made for walking, not riding). In that context they worked great as chick magnets. Third-year guys would sometimes wear the boots and get savagely beaten if caught by the seniors. But if it's not part of your uniform, you're not riding a horse and you're not standing on a tank...

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Be sure to wear a brown or black shirt.

Eagle

Reaction score
Our two daughters were both heavily involved in riding (I was merely the combination Tack man and stable boy!) and wore such boots when riding in shows...they had rubber versions for day to day work around the barn. As I recall, while they both loved riding, they couldn't seem to be able to pull those boots off, soon enough. Very hot, not comfortable for walking.

dano

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dsmolken
I graduated from a traditionally military university in the US where the fourth-year ROTC members wore riding-style boots (though most had them made for walking, not riding). In that context they worked great as chick magnets. Third-year guys would sometimes wear the boots and get savagely beaten if caught by the seniors. But if it's not part of your uniform, you're not riding a horse and you're not standing on a tank...

A&M?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.2%

Forum statistics

Threads