• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

riding boots for the gentleman

Tcameron

Reaction score
Hi,

Looking for some tall riding boots for men that could be taken semi-seriously for casual wear. I've have tried the Cole Haan Mitchell riding boot before, but it couldn't fit over my calf, which is large, but not scarily so. Any suggestions without going bespoke and spending a small fortune?

Thanks,

T

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're not riding, why would you want to wear a riding boot? Easy enough to change out of them when you're done. You consider chelseas or jodhpurs? Those can be taken seriously in any casual or dress setting.

Tcameron

Reaction score
I'm prefering the over the pant up to the calf look that screams rediculous seen here - http://www.hispar.com/ in therms of the victory field boot. Something to be worn with a trench in the rain.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd like something like this too. I fell like Ralph Lauren's got to have something, but it will probably be wildly overpriced.

speedster.8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Latest BB catalogue had some
RL & Ferragamo has some, and think they are on ebay & GVH
Argentinian bespoke are an option to

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Magician
I feel like Ralph Lauren's got to have something, but it will probably be wildly overpriced.

It does, and it is.

(there were purple label riding boots from a couple of years ago anyway. Don't know if they still do them.)

johnny_flapjack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Magician
I'd like something like this too. I fell like Ralph Lauren's got to have something, but it will probably be wildly overpriced.

The do. $1100.

Tcameron

Reaction score
Yeah, I have looked at ebay to an extent with limited success - but I prefer brown. The sight I linked to does them for aroud 300 which is very reasonable considering a pair of AEs are 325.

I just wish I saw another guy sporting them so I didn't seem like I got boots on the wrong side of the store.But being 6'3" not many people question you - (douchey yes, but truthy enough)

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Silk Ascot," who posted for awhile on AAAC, often mentioned favoring such boots. In one of his memorable posts, he mentioned going to a wedding wearing riding boots and breeches, and, of course, his trademark silk ascot.

I still miss that guy!

"Silky, we hardly knew ye!"

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Given what a new pair of EG cost these days, $1,100 for tall boots does not sound that crazy, unless the quality is really low.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think they would be a cool look in rainy weather. Kind of like rubber galoshes for millionaires.

But there would be no way I would buy $1100 boots just for the rain.

I dare someone to commission a full cordovan pair.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
I think they would be a cool look in rainy weather. Kind of like rubber galoshes for millionaires.

But there would be no way I would buy $1100 boots just for the rain.

I dare someone to commission a full cordovan pair.

General Pershing had a pair of custom boots of that sort made from Horween #8 shell. Shows you how long they have been in business producing the same #8 shell. Suspect it was a lot cheaper then, as there were a lot more horses around.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Given what a new pair of EG cost these days, $1,100 for tall boots does not sound that crazy, unless the quality is really low.

Those are not EG RL boots. They're made in Italy. I think I saw some RLPL (presumably EG) riding boots for sale at a considerably higher price than $1100 a couple of years ago. All brown, not black like those pictured. Might be my memory playing tricks on me though.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
For me, the attraction of a male wearing riding boots is inversely proportional to his distance from a horse.

At about a 100 yards, the attraction is perilously close to zero. If there's a strong wind, and you can still smell horseshit, maybe 150 yards.

Any variety of paddock boot, like a chelsea or jodphur, is another matter.

If you are still set on wearing riding boots casually, you can spec MTM boots from La Casa de La Botas, which is the real deal. I have bespoke boots from them that are superb for riding. MTM can take account of your calf size, among other things.

- B

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads