• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ridiculous sleeve shortening job by tailor - Can the shirts be saved?

greenhouse

Reaction score
I took four shirts into my tailor (no longer) last week in order to shorten the sleeves. Three of them came back looking like the pictures below. As you can see, he took enough material off of the sleeve that he decided it made sense to--for lack of a better term--reverse the sleeve placket cuff stitch. This looks absolutely ridiculous to me. Had I known he would need to do this, I would have simply taken the shirts back unaltered. Is it possible to reverse what he did? These are three Kamakura shirts, so it would be a real shame to bin them.

Shirt images below.
20191214_022842.jpg

20191214_022922.jpg

flatsixcrazy

Reaction score
No worries, just take it back to the tailor. It should be very easy to take the cuff off and undo the reverse. For barrel cuffs, I have not seen it done that way. For french cuffs, the reverse is usually done on the other side of the placket.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am guessing that the problem is that the width of the sleeve opening (after so much shortening) is now too wide to attach to the cuff. I think the sleeve will have to be tapered and then the cuff can be properly reattached to the sleeve.

Grace@Apposta

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Looks like your tailor has taken a little too much. There's a maximum amount that can be taken when shortening sleeves from the cuff, the result if that is not adhered to, the sleeve placket severely shortened, and unflattering, and a struggle to narrow the sleeve to fit into the cuff again.
If you have a good tailor, the maximum can be taken from the base of the sleeve, (at the cuff), the remaining excess can be taken from the head of the sleeve, (shoulder point), for a more balanced alteration.
If you're having to shorten your sleeves a significant amount, for every shirt purchased, which can be pricey, especially if the tailor makes a grave mistake like this, sounds like you'd be a perfect candidate for a made to measure shirt, where you will have the freedom to create a sleeve length that's specific to the measurement you need, including any other area of a shirt that needs adjusting to.
Best of luck with future shirts!

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Return it to the tailor and ask him to redo it. They turned/folded the placket over when it shouldn’t be. They can taper the sleeve on the inseam or adjust or add a pleat to size the sleeve to the cuff width. It’s a mistake as is but it’s reversible

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite style of coat for winter? Choose up to 3

• Peacoat

• Great coat

• Trench

• Mac

• Chesterfield

• Duffle coat

• Topcoat

• Shearling

• Balmacaan

• Parka