• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ridiculous house prices

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dkzzzz
NYC is cheap!!!!
These prices in London are understandable, where else can you have a life in England...

Don't be a douche bag.
plain.gif
Have you ever been to Britain? There are plenty of other places worth living, other than London. Based on my own experiences, I'd say the average major city (e.g., York, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Manchester, Birmingham, etc.) in the UK has a more interesting cultural life than any city in the US, with the possible exceptions of NYC, Chicago, Boston and San Francisco.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by academe
Don't be a douche bag.
plain.gif
Have you ever been to Britain? There are plenty of other places worth living, other than London. Based on my own experiences, I'd say the average major city (e.g., York, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Manchester, Birmingham, etc.) in the UK has a more interesting cultural life than any city in the US, with the possible exceptions of NYC, Chicago, Boston and San Francisco.

As oppose to you I have lived in London and Boston. There is ONLY one similarity between these two cities it is general ugliness of people inhabiting them. English province is a horrible place to live if you lived in NYC, Moscow, London, France or Italy. It all depends on your comparison references, dimbulb.

zupermaus

Reaction score
yep alot of the mansions in areas such as Notting Hill were, in the Twentieth Century subdivided up into tenements housing the poorest workers and immigrants with whole families to a room. By the 1980s these areas were very slowly starting to re-convert back into row mansions.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
It's ironic given that those expensive townhouses used to be solidly middle-class homes.
That was before the lax immigration laws were implemented. And I don't mean that the poor huddled masses caused this, not at all, I mean the neuve riche Russians. Jon.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
That was before the lax immigration laws were implemented. And I don't mean that the poor huddled masses caused this, not at all, I mean the neuve riche Russians. Jon.
I meant when they were originally built. This house, while comfortably large, would not have been an upper class home.
veniceuj4.jpg

zupermaus

Reaction score
Yep just one of thousands in a row. Now however the land it sits on, despite it being no different a building from other places in suburbia, is worth gold dust.

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As oppose to you I have lived in London and Boston. There is ONLY one similarity between these two cities it is general ugliness of people inhabiting them.
I wasn't making any assumption about where you've lived, so I would kindly ask you not to do the same. Hence, my question if you'd ever been to the UK. Prior to moving to the UK, I lived in San Francisco, Berkeley and Chicago - so I do have grounds for what I'm saying.
English province is a horrible place to live if you lived in NYC, Moscow, London, France or Italy. It all depends on your comparison references, dimbulb.
Of course it's dependent on your frame of reference. I'll grant you that it might seem that many of the smaller British cities are less interesting than major metro areas like NYC, Paris, London, Moscow, LA, etc. but if you were to compare a smaller regional capital in the US such as Portland, OR, Milwaukee, WI or Phoenix, AZ to somewhere like Edinburgh, Glasgow or York, I'd take any of those British cities over the American ones. Based on my own experiences living on both sides of the Atlantic, in Asia, as well as Latin America, the British cities are far more interesting. I called you out because I strongly believe you're doing the UK a disservice with your snide little jibes.
plain.gif

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zupermaus
Yep just one of thousands in a row. Now however the land it sits on, despite it being no different a building from other places in suburbia, is worth gold dust.

So what exactly is the point of this thread, other than pointing out that London is expensive?

KBW

Reaction score
This is ridiculous. Here where I live you can have a 6 or 7 thousand square foot home with a rock or marble swimming pool on two acres for 6 or 700 K in a very nice area...the area is very nice and growing and there's zero ghetto. I guess that is why we have thousands of people every year moving here to retire from up north or from inner cities. Basically in the US all you have to do for a "retirement plan" is work and live in a big city and then move down south to a nice little suburb and you'll have more than enough to live forever on.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KBW
This is ridiculous. Here where I live you can have a 6 or 7 thousand square foot home with a rock or marble swimming pool on two acres for 6 or 700 K in a very nice area...the area is very nice and growing and there's zero ghetto. I guess that is why we have thousands of people every year moving here to retire from up north or from inner cities. Basically in the US all you have to do for a "retirement plan" is work and live in a big city and then move down south to a nice little suburb and you'll have more than enough to live forever on.

Sheer curiosity: where do you live?

Jon.

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KBW
Where do you live? Prices in the San Francisco Bay Area, for example, aren't as high as they are in London, but for US$600,000 to 700,000 the most you'll get is a 2-3 bedroom house in a "transitional" area (i.e., it's being gentrified and the ghetto isn't too far away). One of our friends who lives near the Embarcadero in San Francisco just bought a studio apartment for US$300,000; another friend who lives in the Lake Merritt area in Oakland just bought a 1 bedroom place for ~US$320,000. Strikes me that where you're living is not very expensive...

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Isn't the $128 million house the home of that Indian family who had their daughter's wedding at Versailles?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads