Ridiculous fashion trends

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by CushyCouture, Oct 21, 2012.

1. CushyCouture

CushyCouture Well-Known Member

I just thought running shoes looked fine with jeans. In college plenty of guys did that, but then I guess most people here would think we all had bad taste. Cambel, have you tried wearing cole haan shoes? I read they are formal shoes that are made by nike with a nike air sole for comfort.

2. musicmax

musicmax Senior member

This guy says they're not a trend :)

[​IMG]

3. Cambel

Cambel Active Member

I've seen those, but they just look silly to me. They have a formal upper with a very conspicuous and clashing Lunarlon (or whatever it's called) sole. Might as well commit and get a the LunarGlide itself. Don't get me wrong: I find that a well chosen running shoe with jeans can indeed look pretty sharp.

4. pnin22

pnin22 Senior member

I was thinking more like this: [​IMG]

5. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

Man this thread made me look to see if I wasn't accidentally on AAAC with those old farts.

6. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

Nah those are a different breed all together. The main CH/Nike line of dress shoes look like regular dress shoes with regular looking outsoles.

7. mkarim

mkarim Senior member

+1. That's what I had to wear in school every day - a tie and blazer. Sadly, nowadays, even wearing a button-up shirt is considered "too dressed up" by many.

8. mcbrown

mcbrown Senior member

This is simply not true. I know that in a day and age where something that has been in fashion for 3 years is "traditional" it can be hard for people to believe, but at various points in history men in the Western world have considered it fashionable to have wider leg openings on their trousers, rather than narrower as is the present fashion. Pleats allow for maximal leg opening without having a negative taper (aka bell bottoms). The choice between pleated and flat front certainly had nothing to do with the look of the top of the trousers, as this difference would not normally have been visible - this is only an issue in the modern era, when men routinely wear trousers without jackets. Unless you think Fred Astaire wasn't sufficiently "trim" to wear flat front pants and therefore was forced to wear pleats: [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. CushyCouture

CushyCouture Well-Known Member

Well LA-DI-DAH! Sorry I didn't attend Phillips Exeter like you blue bloods did. lol j/k

10. Gauss17

Gauss17 Senior member

That may have been the fashion then, but weren't pleats originally designed to expand when the wearer had a thicker thigh or when the wearer sat down? That way the pleat expanded and closed when necessary. I may be wrong, but just because something was fashionable once, does not mean that the item was designed for said fashion trend (again it may actually be the case, but this was my understanding).

11. anginaprinzmetal

anginaprinzmetal Senior member

^ say what ?

so you're saying jeans and tie is plain wrong, yet you advise somebody to try ColeHaans... :facepalm:

12. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

Pleather with everything.
    Knock-off Moncler coats.
    Anything hipster. I don't really know what that implies, but it sounds good and is probably inline with the SF groupthink.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2012

13. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

Details...where to kop?

14. Putonghua73

Putonghua73 Senior member

If you grew up in the UK, chances are that a school uniform was compulsory at secondary school (equivalent of high school). I went to an all boys school comprehensive school in the mid-80s and not only was a school uniform compulsory, but we were all assigned to a 'house' (mine was Oxford) and each house had their own badge wirh a house colour (a horizontal bar - Oxford was orange) which had to be sewn on to your blazer. The badge also denoted which year you were in.

Ties, if memory, serves correct, were regimental striped.

Posh? The clue is 'comprehensive' i.e. state school which did not restrict entry based upon academic qualifications. The classes were streamed (restricted by ability) after the 1st term.

Essentially, an attempt to make gentlemen out of boys who grew up on council estates. Not too dissimilar to 'Lord of the Flies'.

Looking back, and looking at kids now in their uniforms, it is a good idea to associates kids with a school's identity, and avoid the fashion shows if kids are allowed to wear casual clothing. I still remember one of the few days when we were allowed to attend school in our casual clothing. One kid attended in his school white shirt and black trousers and literally was 'cussed' (became the subject of ridicule) for the entire day.

Aside from reminiscences that scarred generations of children, I actually like the military, structured overcoats. The less said about the camp sports coat, the better. There does really need to be a SF Hall of Shame. That would be exhibit número uno.

P.s. This thread has whetted my appetite to check out a few of the menswear titles on the subject - especially the history of menswear to understand the difference between stylistic preferences and fashion vagaries.

15. printyra

printyra Active Member

-anything hipster
    -cargo pants
    -skinny jeans
    -camo
    -Sperrys