• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rider Hobo Boot

slappy

Reaction score
I searched and didn't find any threads about this boot so I thought I'd make a thread to hear thoughts on it. http://www.francos.com/items/item.asp?sku5=67872 http://blog.leffot.com/category/foot...t-co-footwear/ Shown a few posts down After a disappointing encounter with some Alden 403's from J.Crew I've been looking at other boot companies. I first considered the C&J Coniston but I'm not a fan of the heavy grain look to the leather. I happened upon these Hobo boots and they look real nice from the pictures I've seen. Does anyone own these and can describe them a bit more? They look like a tall chukka it seems.

slappy

Reaction score
Do people really not like these? Or did I not go through the correct hyping channels to get them SF approved.

bows1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They look fine to me, but you didn't ask if people liked them. You asked if people had any experience with them, and I haven't so I didn't respond before. Maybe no one owns them or has dealt with them

slappy

Reaction score
Fair enough I guess. They are overpriced considering they are made of the same leather as 403's. The main deal breaker for me though is the white creep sole, they are too nice looking for that. I'm going to contact rider to see if they have other soles. If so I'll buy some, then try to lobby the right people for group think approval.

Choppy sentences provided by my Android phone.

js0930

Reaction score
i've read about them on another forum, can't remember which. general consensus i got is rider boots are a pretty significant step up from aldens, especially in terms of finish. if you like the look and can afford them, go for it. doubt they will disappoint.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
I like some of rider's offerings but I am reminded of when I emailed Steven at leffot about pricing he told me some cordo boots were like 1k
lol8[1].gif

They may be great quality but I don't think his shoes warrant the price tag.

enigma77

Reaction score

slappy

Reaction score
The heel height is a valid concern, I hadn't really looked at that. The boots you posted are nice, but I like a bit of something on the toe for casual boots. I'm in the market for boots I could wear with jeans or chinos or something, seems like Alden really has the lock on that market.

slappy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by enigma77
Not a fan of that particular captoe, or the heel height (looks to be >1"). But overall looks beautiful.
Sorry to keep bumping this, but I just wanted to respond to the heel height. I talked with Ron Rider and he said its 5/8". I decided that while I think this is a very attractive boot the crepe sole is a dealbreaker. So, carry on.

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quality is a big, big step up from Alden.

Cordovan is expensive everywere, try doing MTO via C&J or Vass in Cordovan, Rider's is inline with C&J MTO prices and a big step above.

I will be getting a few pairs of balmoral boots next year, though in calf not cordovan.

slappy

Reaction score
Where are you buying them from?

Also these hobo boots are chromexcel, not cordovan

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just order them straight from ron rider

slappy

Reaction score
Yea it'd be nice to see pictures of his entire current stock though. I'm not sure that Franco's website gets updated particularly often.

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He has a blog

RIDER

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Razele
He has a blog

Yes www.riderboot.com

For sure, I make these with a far chunkier crepe sole than is typically found on the market - by design. I want all of my boots to be as heavy as possible while still keeping the lines - and try to build things that will wear as hard as my clients expect them to. For crepe, we are taking a strip and stitching (not simply all purpose cementing like most) it to a full leather midsole, than adhereing the standard weight outsole to this crepe midsole. Gives a much heavier look, but also a much more dependable outsole which is easily resolable when needed. As with all my boots, this is a top shelf, heavy construction that will wear.

I really do need to get some pics up of this boot being worn - it's one of those boots that looks alot different on than on the shelf or in pics, IMO. So far this has been a very good seller this season - just did my 4th re-order as we are basically out here in wholesale stock.

But, I don't expect everyone to like what I do, so no worries here!

2eg5mag.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads