1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

Riccardo Bestetti Bespoke projects.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Roy, Jun 23, 2011.

1. meister

meister Senior member

You would even compare them aesthetically let alone on a construction basis? Apples and oranges. UK shoes are hugely overpriced IMO.

2. Gianni Cerutti

Gianni Cerutti Senior member

You're right. The shoes are amazing Bestetti. And I must say that over the years have improved a lot. Also because Bestetti see him passionate about his work. Every time I go by his passion infects me! And when one puts passion makes the difference. In fact, I can not wait to show you my shoes Gladietor test. And its finish for me today are unbeatable

3. SoGent

SoGent Senior member

Gianni . . . . was that color of suede as golden brown as it appears in the photo ?
    Really excited to see your gladiator when it's done.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
  4. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

I agree that now with G&G's price increases...Bestetti is a much better option.

I've placed my last MTO orders (possibly ever) with StC and G&G and will go with Bestetti for future orders.

5. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

How much are hand welted bestetti's? Probably much more than StC. Also, I am much more confident of the ease of communications and reliability of a brand like StC who has been doing it for a while now. I suspect a lot of working of the kinks with Bestetti.

6. chogall

chogall Senior member

About the same vs. StC.

Besides, both are pegged at waist.

7. jaywhyy

jaywhyy Senior member

Semi-bespoke Novenceto is 1500 euro/2000 USD; MTO hand-welted is 1200 euro/1600 USD; RTW hand-welted is (will be) 900 euro/1200 USD. All of these include VAT, I think.

8. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

Copied the below from http://shoegazingpunktse.blogspot.com/2013/11/kopguide-riccardo-freccia-bestetti.html

Goodyear = handwelted.

So...in some cases actually less than StC depending on what you want and if you can even get your hands on a RTW.

Pricing
    Above, the prices of the different categories, but we take it again for clarity:
    - RTW blake, € 600
    - RTW Goodyear (hand-welted), € 900. (Released shortly.)
    - MTO Blake, € 900
    - MTO Goodyear, € 1200.
    - Novecento semi-bespoke, € 1500.
    - Full bespoke, starting from € 3000.

9. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

A shoe can't be both Goodyear and hand welted. That's an oxymoron. It's either hand welted or it isn't.

10. jaywhyy

jaywhyy Senior member

It's a confusing nomenclature that stuck with Spanish and Italian makers. Goodyear has been associated with quality, so makers like Bestetti and Meermin market their hand-welted shoes as "Goodyear-welted".

11. j ingevaldsson

j ingevaldsson Senior member

We all know. But Bestetti and a bunch of other Italians call it Goodyear welted, the reason for it has been discussed twice in this thread already. And if you read the whole buyer's guide you find it discussed there as well.

I haven't owned a pair of StC myself, but I have visited trunk shows, tried them on and seen friends used pairs, and I have to say that I definitely hold Bestetti Novecento above StC. I think his MTO hand welted will be on pair with St C, If I judge from the MTO-Blake I've seen, and RTW (which use box calf, MTO and Novecento use crust) probably a bit below.

I agree that today it might be easier to order from StC, but when the shop Spiga 3 launch their online sales of Bestetti in a couple of months time (will sell some RTW as well as take orders for MTO and Novecento) that issue will be fixed. You will be able to pay with credit card, shoes will be finished faster (since shop orders are prioritized above individual driest orders). And if you live in the states, you will be able to deduct the high Swedish VAT of 25% from the prices above, and it's shipped with Swedish Postal service who gives it to USPS which when Skoaktiebolaget uses it almost never end up with custom dutys. That will be a pretty darn sweet deal if you ask me.

12. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

FTFY

And 100% pB is correct...regardless of the conventions. The conventions are ignorant...GY is GY and HW is HW.

13. j ingevaldsson

j ingevaldsson Senior member

Of course. But if you are to order a shoe from a maker, I'd say it's easier to use the words he is using for things to avoid confusion in the ordering process.

14. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

I agree that it's certainly wise to make sure that you both know what you're talking about.

That said, it's just another form of "dumbing down."

15. cgo

cgo Senior member

And dont forget that Bestetti also includes test shoes (at least from the Novecento line).....StC does not