1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Riccardo Bestetti Bespoke projects.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Roy, Jun 23, 2011.

1. C&A

C&A Senior member

Wouldn't you call this a side seam? Maybe it's the language barrier. Anyway Riccardo told me the construction was the same as on these shoes

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was under the impression this was called a side seam in mafoofan's cleverley thread.

2. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

Right you are. My mistake.

The photos of the brown shoes make it clear. Never seen it done like that, but it's clever.

3. C&A

C&A Senior member

You're welcome. As mentioned it's Riccardo's default. I've been used seeing this construction for some time now. Only when I took the pictures I understood how one could take it for a back stay. If you only see the inside of the shoe.

4. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

As we do not see the outside of the shoe, it could be either a large back-strap (kind of halfway house between a back-strap and a counter). Then there will be a corresponding seam on the outside of the shoe. If there isn't one and if the galosh section is wrapped around the heel like in the other sample, then the shoe would be side-seamed or side-closed.

As I believe, Bestetti has a penchant for side-closing, it probably is the latter.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. C&A

C&A Senior member

bengal-stripe, thanks. are you saying that what cleverley did on mafoofan's shoes is called and side-seamed

and what bestetti did on mine is called side-closed?

6. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

I would use the terms interchangeable.

The seam on the Cleverley is pulled further toward the inside and kept as inconspicuous as possible, while Bestetti did put emphasis onto the seam, due to the shape, the double row of stitching and the lighter-coloured thread.

Just a difference in choice for aesthetic reasons.

"Less is more" (Mies van der Rohe]) versus "Less is a bore" (Robert Venturi[)

2 people like this.
  7. meister

meister Senior member

Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess. (Oscar Wilde)

Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  8. Gianni Cerutti

Gianni Cerutti Senior member

[​IMG]

Yesterday I went to Bestetti for me to take new steps to my feet lost weight. During this time I lost 6-7 kg because of my diet. And my feet are skinnier than 4-5 mm. And so he had to further modify my form pending trial of the shoe. Also because my Gladiators Bestetti want it perfect.

And while I was taking new measures as soon as I saw this crocodile suede bespoke I could not show it. As soon as I walked in was also preparing the test leads and the foothills and then assemble it all with insoles.

And while I was there I took even more pictures that I have yet to download.

What do you think?

4 people like this.
  9. Gianni Cerutti

[​IMG]

And look at the beauty of these two bespoke shoes Bestetti. I always took these pictures when I went to him. For me this is really extraordinary belu. But not all can afford me =)

[​IMG]

10. agedashidofu

agedashidofu Senior member

I have to say that bestetti's shoes are just amazing. They are significantly becoming more and more attractive to me especially since the recent price increase for GG deco!

11. meister

meister Senior member

You would even compare them aesthetically let alone on a construction basis? Apples and oranges. UK shoes are hugely overpriced IMO.

12. Gianni Cerutti

You're right. The shoes are amazing Bestetti. And I must say that over the years have improved a lot. Also because Bestetti see him passionate about his work. Every time I go by his passion infects me! And when one puts passion makes the difference. In fact, I can not wait to show you my shoes Gladietor test. And its finish for me today are unbeatable

13. SoGent

SoGent Senior member

Gianni . . . . was that color of suede as golden brown as it appears in the photo ?
    Really excited to see your gladiator when it's done.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
  14. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

I agree that now with G&G's price increases...Bestetti is a much better option.

I've placed my last MTO orders (possibly ever) with StC and G&G and will go with Bestetti for future orders.

15. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

How much are hand welted bestetti's? Probably much more than StC. Also, I am much more confident of the ease of communications and reliability of a brand like StC who has been doing it for a while now. I suspect a lot of working of the kinks with Bestetti.

16. chogall

chogall Senior member

About the same vs. StC.

Besides, both are pegged at waist.

17. jaywhyy

jaywhyy Senior member

Semi-bespoke Novenceto is 1500 euro/2000 USD; MTO hand-welted is 1200 euro/1600 USD; RTW hand-welted is (will be) 900 euro/1200 USD. All of these include VAT, I think.

18. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

Copied the below from http://shoegazingpunktse.blogspot.com/2013/11/kopguide-riccardo-freccia-bestetti.html

Goodyear = handwelted.

So...in some cases actually less than StC depending on what you want and if you can even get your hands on a RTW.

Pricing
    Above, the prices of the different categories, but we take it again for clarity:
    - RTW blake, € 600
    - RTW Goodyear (hand-welted), € 900. (Released shortly.)
    - MTO Blake, € 900
    - MTO Goodyear, € 1200.
    - Novecento semi-bespoke, € 1500.
    - Full bespoke, starting from € 3000.

19. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

A shoe can't be both Goodyear and hand welted. That's an oxymoron. It's either hand welted or it isn't.

1 person likes this.
  20. jaywhyy

jaywhyy Senior member

It's a confusing nomenclature that stuck with Spanish and Italian makers. Goodyear has been associated with quality, so makers like Bestetti and Meermin market their hand-welted shoes as "Goodyear-welted".