1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

Ribbon Belts

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Alex_O, Dec 10, 2004.

1. Alex_O

Alex_O Well-Known Member

Could someone please clear up when it is appropriate in American Trad to wear ribbon/silk belts?

I assume they are appropriate with chinos and other summer pants.
    What about cords and non summer wool pants ?
    Could one be worn with wool pants and blazer in winter?
    I'am also under the imperession that wool leather tipped belts(is Surcingle the term? ) similar in pallete to silk belts are appropriate in winter even with the heaviest wool. Does this mean full length silk is not appropriate?

2. stache

stache Senior member

To me a ribbon belt screams 'summer'. Sometimes I will wear a dark color web belt in the winter but it's a casual look. Hope this helps.

3. Bradford

Bradford Current Events Moderator

I would not wear a ribbon belt with any type of wool pants , winter weight wool pants and blazer or with cords.

They are a very traditional preppy summer look and should probably be reserved for those occasions when you are wearing khakis, seersucker or linen pants. You could also wear one with a nice pair of Nantucket Reds or a pair of madras pants.

The times of year that you can wear these items obviously varies depending on what part of the country you are in. But generally only during the warmer seasons.

Bradford

4. Alex_O

Alex_O Well-Known Member

Is it assumed this belt is year round ? (wool) [​IMG]

5. STYLESTUDENT

STYLESTUDENT Senior member

I always wore the wool surcingle belt in winter, with cords usually, and not in summer (wool fabric heavier than lightweight cotton or linen pants). I thought they were the winter version of the ribbon belt.

6. Horace

Horace Senior member

There was a discussion of the ribbon belt and its use (even with worsted or flannel suits) on the AmerTrad thread on Ask Andy -- Harris and a few others seems to be the resident experts on the employment of said sartoral article.