• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ribbed Tee?

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought some V-neck heather gray shirts. They are close fitting and very comfortable. As advertised, they stretch when you wear them and shrink back after washing. Though I don't know how many washes you get before they wear out.

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good to hear. I'm curious to know how long they will last. I have some Calvin Klein's that are starting to pill.

mothball

Reaction score
I bought 5 of the gray v-necks 6 months ago or so. They're the only undershirts I really wear any more, and they've all held up well with 20+ washes.

violethour1951

Reaction score
I got some grey v-neck undershirts from RibbedTee about half a year ago and recently placed an order for some more (after throwing out my remaining Hanes/CK undershirts). Thought I'd add in my $0.02 here to support this company, cause they make a solid product.

I wore them just about every day and washed them every week. As advertised, they don't stretch after washing, although I only do cold-wash and hang-dry. They fit well, do not bunch up at the waist, and the greys do not show through white buttondown shirts. So I'm replacing the last of my other undershirts with these ones.

Last edited:

jmaudi0

Reaction score
i have a few of the grey v-necks and white v-necks which i use for undershirts daily. i much prefer the grey v-neck. the v itself is larger and deeper than on the white shirts. the white shirts do not stretch out throughout the day as much as the grey's do, but the small neck V bothers me. i wish the white V was the same size as the grey V. the shirts are different materials so i'm sure that has something to do with it.

both colors shrink a good bit in their initial wash but the fit is spot on. the sleeves start out tight fitting to my arms but by the end of the day they are stretched out and loose.

if i order more i'll definitely get more of the grey V necks.

still on a quest to find that perfect no-show undershirt.

ribbedtee

Reaction score

I got some grey v-neck undershirts from RibbedTee about half a year ago and recently placed an order for some more (after throwing out my remaining Hanes/CK undershirts). Thought I'd add in my $0.02 here to support this company, cause they make a solid product.

I wore them just about every day and washed them every week. As advertised, they don't stretch after washing, although I only do cold-wash and hang-dry. They fit well, do not bunch up at the waist, and the greys do not show through white buttondown shirts. So I'm replacing the last of my other undershirts with these ones.

Thanks for the support @violethour! We really appreciate it.

ribbedtee

Reaction score

i much prefer the grey v-neck.  the v itself is larger and deeper than on the white shirts.  the white shirts do not stretch out throughout the day as much as the grey's do, but the small neck V bothers me.  

i wish the white V was the same size as the grey V.  the shirts are different materials so i'm sure that has something to do with it.

both colors shrink a good bit in their initial wash but the fit is spot on.  the sleeves start out tight fitting to my arms but by the end of the day they are stretched out and loose.

if i order more i'll definitely get more of the grey V necks. still on a quest to find that perfect no-show undershirt. 

Hi @jmaudi0, thanks for the support. We very much appreciate the number of StyleForum members who have recommend our Undershirts over the years, and we're committed to making Made-in-the-USA undershirts that offer the best fit, feel and function in their price class.

To your points above, we went through some iterations of our collar designs in 2012 in an effort to find the perfect style. We did take the V-neck front drop on the Classic Fit items lower for a short period in 2012, but have since changed it and made it deeper than before and made it more stylistically resemble our Retro Fit V-Neck, which is very popular. Based on your feedback, I would guess that you ordered between style changes and have a mix of both.

As of December 2012, all of our Classic Fit items have the new collar styles, improved sleeve fit, and continued longer length. They are also now pre-shrunk/pre-washed for our customer's convenience. We also tightened our quality control measures and increased the performance requirements of our fabric suppliers. If we receive fabric that does not meet our exacting specifications, we reject it and require it to be remade. These new measures were fully implemented as of late November 2012 and should result in a more consistent end product.

Based on your description of the fit experience, I believe you may have some of our Classic Fit White items that contained fabric anomalies that resulted in a tighter fit than we designed for.

The Classic Fit items are designed with a very lightweight fabric that fits close to the body right out of the package, will relax out during daily wear, and will wash back down to their intended form fit after laundering. Our goal has always been to offer a form fitting, but not too tight undershirt wearing experience. This is primarily to ensure some air flow between the body and the undershirt, which assists in keeping the wearer cooler.

If you're looking for something a little closer fitting, I'd recommend in this order:
  1. Classic Fit, Heather Grey (90/10 Cotton/Poly blend): The polyester content generally allows the shirt to retain its shape more than our 100% cotton Classic Fit items.
  2. CoolWear Supima (100% Supima Cotton): This line is made with a slightly heavier fabric, but a much finer yarn. The combination allows the shirt to retain its shape more, but offers a silky cooling wearing experience.
  3. MicroModal/Supima (50/50 MicroModal/Supima Cotton): This line is made with a 1x1 rib, which is a tighter rib knit that the previous two lines. The fabric is approximately the same weight as our CoolWear Supima undershirts, and the blend of MicroModal and Supima offers a luxurious feel, more absorbency, and will be more form fitting as well

If you have not ordered from our most recent Classic Fit inventory (as of December 2012), you might find the latest generation offers a much better no-show wearing experience.

Of course there are a couple alternative undershirt lines that offer deeper v-necks. If you need some information on those products, drop me a line personally and I'll be happy to help.

Again, I'd like to extend my personal thanks to every here at StyleForum for the continued support. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to drop us a line. Of course, I'm always available to answer questions as well.

Take care,
Mike, Managing Partner
RibbedTee

elbastardocalvo

Reaction score
I realize this is an older post, but I do have a question re the differences between the Classic fit and Retro fit. I've tried to find a concise description of the differences but can't seem to find one anywhere.

Thanks in advance.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads