1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Reweaving

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SwB411, Feb 18, 2010.

1. SwB411

SwB411 Well-Known Member

Recently discovered two moth holes in a relatively new suit. It's a very nice looking, quality suit and I am hoping to salvage it if it makes economic sense (paid about $750 for the suit). It is a light gray pinstripe.

Is reweaving a viable, economical option? The holes are very small and there is one on the leg and between the zipper and front pocket on the pants and on the front of the jacket.

Any insight would be appreciated (how much will it cost, will it look "repaired", etc.).

Thanks

2. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

I had a tear in a pair of pants rewoven for about $80.

3. SwB411

SwB411 Well-Known Member

I had a tear in a pair of pants rewoven for about $80.

Thanks. Is the repair visible or does it look "new"?

4. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

Thanks. Is the repair visible or does it look "new"?
    It's not noticeable at all.

5. PITAronin

PITAronin Well-Known Member

In my experience, a lot will depend on the suit fabric and whether or not there is a pattern. I've had, for example, a solid tan MTM suit from Brooks made from 130s VBC that suffered a couple of small moth holes. While the reweaving was done by what is apparently one of the best in Chicago, the repair is still slightly noticeable. A flannel with a bit more texture or a fabric where there is more of a pattern to distract the eye may both make the reweaving process more successful/less noticeable.

6. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

In my experience, a lot will depend on the suit fabric and whether or not there is a pattern. I've had, for example, a solid tan MTM suit from Brooks made from 130s VBC that suffered a couple of small moth holes. While the reweaving was done by what is apparently one of the best in Chicago, the repair is still slightly noticeable. A flannel with a bit more texture or a fabric where there is more of a pattern to distract the eye may both make the reweaving process more successful/less noticeable.
    My pants were pinstriped, and also rewoven in Chicago, but I don't know where specifically.

7. harry2quinn

harry2quinn Well-Known Member

Probably at Without a Trace at 100 E Walton Street which is apparently a reweaving place known around the country due to GQ or Esquire running an article on them. They're really the only place to go to in Chicago.

8. Montauk

Montauk Well-Known Member

9. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

Last I heard, Alice was no longer working. This is as good a time as any to ask if anyone knows another reweaver in NYC.

10. edmorel

edmorel Well-Known Member

Last I heard, Alice was no longer working. This is as good a time as any to ask if anyone knows another reweaver in NYC.

I think she stopped reweaving because she died, I'll let you know if that's changed. There is French American reweaving in the city.

11. Montauk

If she died it's a very recent tragedy, because I was just there and she was plenty sprightly.

12. edmorel

edmorel Well-Known Member

If she died it's a very recent tragedy, because I was just there and she was plenty sprightly.

I was actually making a bad movie joke (Top Secret) but this post claims she is deceased:

http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...&postcount=451

13. detroiter

detroiter Well-Known Member

I neeed a reweaver for a bunch of cashmere sweaters that were killed by moths.

14. Montauk

I was actually making a bad movie joke (Top Secret) but this post claims she is deceased:

http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...&postcount=451

Hmm. I suppose it could always be a different old lady operating under Alice's shingle and with her phone line ;-)

In any case, she gives great reweave.

15. Shirtmaven

Shirtmaven Well-Known Member

16. agoldf

agoldf Well-Known Member

17. antirabbit

antirabbit Well-Known Member

WOAT is good, expensive, but good.

They will likely find that the moths laid eggs, and this will complicate everything.

They do a good job, but be prepared for it to cost $100+

18. stubloom

stubloom Well-Known Member

Whenever your'e considering the economic viability of using a reweaving service, it's always advisable to have the garment dry cleaned beforehand. For 2 reasons: 1. For purely hygienic reasons, good reweavers such as Without A Trace in Chicago, don't want to work on a garment that is not clean. If your'e concerned about the dry cleaner machine pressing your garment, ask them to dry clean, steam out and skip the pressing. 2. The female adult moth only lays her eggs where there is nutrition for the larvae to feed on when they hatch. The "moth damage" is caused by the frenzied feeding of the larvae, not the moth itself. But larvae mostly feed ON THE SURFACE, weakening the threads in those places. They don't always eat all the way through (which is what you actually see). In other words, when your'e looking at the garment with the naked eye you may not be seeing ALL the damage. The best way to evaluate the economic viability of reweaving is to dry clean the garment first. Why? Because the tumbling of the garment in the dry cleaning machine will put some "stress" on those fibers that have been eaten on the surface, possibly breaking those threads and highlighting even more holes in the garment. This is particularly the case with wool sweaters. You might have seen only 1 or 2 holes, but there are now actually 6 or 7 holes, which significantly impacts the economic viability of reweaving in the first place. If you don't dry clean before reweaving you risk Website: www.ravefabricare.com Daily blog: www.truequalitycleaning.com

19. negusnegas

negusnegas Well-Known Member

I actually posted a picture of a recent reweaving I had done on a Tuxedo at Mid City Tailoring on 43rd St. The price was fair and the turn around was ridiculous quick (3 days) since I needed the tuxedo for an event. Alice Zotta is definitely dead. I also heard their quality dropped significantly and I know for a fact the turn around is ridiculously long (quoted me 6-8 weeks).

20. Big T

Big T Well-Known Member

Thanks to all who posted in this thread. I have a HSM suit that had the end of a nylon tag sticking out of a sleeve. Where the sleeve folded over the back of the suit, there were two holes pierced (1/16" to 1/8"). Vendor claimed they were moth holes, in spite of my showing the end of the nylon tag and how when the sleeve was folded over, the nylon end was right on the holes.

Love the suite, but can't wear it with the holes (I got a hang-up about "damaged" goods), but now I got a couple of reweaving services to call.