• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reweaving

SwB411

Reaction score
Recently discovered two moth holes in a relatively new suit. It's a very nice looking, quality suit and I am hoping to salvage it if it makes economic sense (paid about $750 for the suit). It is a light gray pinstripe.

Is reweaving a viable, economical option? The holes are very small and there is one on the leg and between the zipper and front pocket on the pants and on the front of the jacket.

Any insight would be appreciated (how much will it cost, will it look "repaired", etc.).

Thanks

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I had a tear in a pair of pants rewoven for about $80.

SwB411

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
I had a tear in a pair of pants rewoven for about $80.

Thanks. Is the repair visible or does it look "new"?

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SwB411
Thanks. Is the repair visible or does it look "new"?
It's not noticeable at all.

PITAronin

Reaction score
In my experience, a lot will depend on the suit fabric and whether or not there is a pattern. I've had, for example, a solid tan MTM suit from Brooks made from 130s VBC that suffered a couple of small moth holes. While the reweaving was done by what is apparently one of the best in Chicago, the repair is still slightly noticeable. A flannel with a bit more texture or a fabric where there is more of a pattern to distract the eye may both make the reweaving process more successful/less noticeable.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PITAronin
In my experience, a lot will depend on the suit fabric and whether or not there is a pattern. I've had, for example, a solid tan MTM suit from Brooks made from 130s VBC that suffered a couple of small moth holes. While the reweaving was done by what is apparently one of the best in Chicago, the repair is still slightly noticeable. A flannel with a bit more texture or a fabric where there is more of a pattern to distract the eye may both make the reweaving process more successful/less noticeable.
My pants were pinstriped, and also rewoven in Chicago, but I don't know where specifically.

harry2quinn

Reaction score
Probably at Without a Trace at 100 E Walton Street which is apparently a reweaving place known around the country due to GQ or Esquire running an article on them. They're really the only place to go to in Chicago.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Last I heard, Alice was no longer working. This is as good a time as any to ask if anyone knows another reweaver in NYC.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Last I heard, Alice was no longer working. This is as good a time as any to ask if anyone knows another reweaver in NYC.

I think she stopped reweaving because she died, I'll let you know if that's changed. There is French American reweaving in the city.

Montauk

Reaction score
If she died it's a very recent tragedy, because I was just there and she was plenty sprightly.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

detroiter

Reaction score
I neeed a reweaver for a bunch of cashmere sweaters that were killed by moths.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads