• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

reweave/repair

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a wonderful Chester Barrie suit that has a small hole in the chest. I love this suit and want to have it fixed. I live in Chicago (with out a trace), is this the route to go? How much is one 8th of an inch hole cost to fix? I have extra fabric. The other issue, is I have lost a fair amount of weight since wearing this, I was thinking of brining it to Despos here in chicago, how much would it cost to take in the belly, lenghten the sleeves, and have the repair done? Would it be better to get a new suit?

Carey

Reaction score
Reweaving should run $75.00 and up. If the fabric has a pattern, forget it and get a new suit. If the garment is a solid colore and you really love the suit, then go for it and the considerable alterations.

Why do you need to lengthen the sleeves? Check with a tailor for the estimates on the alterations, anything else is opinion.

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Carey
Reweaving should run $75.00 and up. If the fabric has a pattern, forget it and get a new suit.

Can't speak for Chicago reweavers, but in Houston a solid reweaving job for a single hole will run you around $30. And a good reweaver can work with a pattern. In fact, I once had a hole repaired on the stripe of a pin striped suit and continue to wear the suit to this day.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Figure around $100 for the reweave, though it could be less. It's hard to guesstimate about alterations but figure another $100. BTW, it's interesting that you need to have your sleeves lengthened after a weight loss.
confused.gif

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I once had a small tear in a glen plaid jacket rewoven successfully. I don't think it's impossible to reweave patterns.

Carey

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vintage Gent
Can't speak for Chicago reweavers, but in Houston a solid reweaving job for a single hole will run you around $30. And a good reweaver can work with a pattern. In fact, I once had a hole repaired on the stripe of a pin striped suit and continue to wear the suit to this day.
Glen Plaid - no way, same with a Tick-Weave suit trouser torn by the driver's seatback hinge on my previous company car (Taurus - I still will not take one as a rental). At $30.00 you got a great deal. I have to send mine to a lady in Chapel Hill, NC that does these on contract with a local dry-cleaners.

hmhill

Reaction score
I had a glen plaid suit reweave at one time. There was a tear in the seat of the pants. Fortunately, the store gave me some leftover fabric from the alternations. Here is a photo of the area that was reweaved.

dscn10032.jpg

Max

Carey

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hmhill
I had a glen plaid suit reweave at one time. There was a tear in the seat of the pants. Fortunately, the store gave me some leftover fabric from the alternations. Here is a photo of the area that was reweaved.
dscn10032.jpg
Max

I stand corrected. Those reweavers who say it can't be done, are really saying it won't be done by them -- lazy asses.

Leaveitothexperts

Reaction score

dscn10032.jpg

Max

wow.gif
where is the reweave . . . nice work!

hmhill

Reaction score
Here is an outline of the area that was reweave.

DSCN10033.jpg

Max

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Carey
I stand corrected. Those reweavers who say it can't be done, are really saying it won't be done by them -- lazy asses.

True. Though I prefer that to the alternative: "sure, we can do that, no problem," and then two weeks later, you get back something not fit for the Goodwill bin. A few years ago, I got a smallish rip in the seat of a pair of suitpants, and took it to a "reweaver" who said he could do the job. What I got back was a really bad patch and stitch job -- I had to just throw the suit away.

Leaveitothexperts

Reaction score
Here is an outline of the area that was reweave.

DSCN10033.jpg

Max

smile.gif
Thanks. Poor delivery on my part perhaps; my question was rhetorical and I only meant to compliment the nice work

hmhill

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Leaveitothexperts
smile.gif
Thanks. Poor delivery on my part perhaps; my question was rhetorical and I only meant to compliment the nice work

smile.gif
Sorry, it was not poor delivery, I knew it was rhetorical but it occurred to me that someone might be interested in the location.

Max

Leaveitothexperts

Reaction score
smile.gif
Sorry, it was not poor delivery, I knew it was rhetorical but it occurred to me that someone might be interested in the location.

Max

Agreed. It really is nice work and I had to look very closely to spot it.

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
any recomendations of where? Besides with out a trace? The sleeves on the suit never fit, they had been altered and shortened, all the original fabric is there. I love this suit, it is a very light blue on charcol pinstripe. The pants fit perfect. Just the coat. I would love to have the hole repaired for $30-50, any ideas? Then I can spend more on tailoring.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads