• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rewarding/Fun things to do over the summer

lemmywinks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's 2 more summers until I go off to college. How should I maximize my summers?

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I learned to fly.

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This summer, tentative plans include (but might not get it all done):

Motel in the desert for stargazing
Camping
Local museums
Night kayaking in Newport Beach
Shopping in Costa Mesa (SCP)
Sightseeing in Long Beach (Signal Hill at night?)
Paintball and golf with the boys
Vacation to Louisiana
Visited a friend in Pasadena and we toured LA for a couple days

Doubtful:
Skydiving

I have a new girl, so this stuff comes with the territory I guess ; ) If you've never done it, I think a summer job or volunteering where you get exposed to lots of people would be good for your speaking skills and confidence, assuming those are things you could use to improve. I started working at a golf course pro shop around that age, and it really helped me in those areas by forcing me to get used to talking to successful older folks.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Get a job that will help you get another job during college. Bar tending, wait staff at a trendy place, something like that. Also, the money you earn and save in high school will stand you in good stead in college.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You just graduated from high school and you are waiting for two years to go to university? What are you planning to do in the meantime? Work?

lemmywinks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't graduated from high school. I have one more year. That thread I made was planning ahead for next year's graduation so I have about a year to make up my mind and then look for a good deal.

dune

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Get a job that will help you get another job during college. Bar tending, wait staff at a trendy place, something like that. Also, the money you earn and save in high school will stand you in good stead in college.

This. If you can find a cool place, it'll be a cool job, where you can work on your social skills, meet new people and earn money. Win-win-win situation.

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
work your ass off. get two jobs, work70 hours a week and save your cash. You blow so much cash in college every little bit helps.

For fun, yea, go cheap. Free museum days. Beach. Road trip to ensenada. Basically, go cheap.

Oh, and sightseeing in long beach lasts about 4 hours. I live here, not worth a trip from SD just for signal hill at night.

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lemmywinks
I haven't graduated from high school. I have one more year. That thread I made was planning ahead for next year's graduation so I have about a year to make up my mind and then look for a good deal.

Pio has it right. I'd also recommend taking advantage of the free time to hit whatever goals you have for your physique. Most of my friends got significantly fatter after freshman year.

I'd also recommend studying for and taking CLEP exams (depending on which college you're planning/able to attend). A few days of adderall/vyvanse/ritalin**** (taking time to sleep in the evenings) and a good website that has a flash card system or something similar, and you'll have hours of college credit knocked out. This leaves more time for getting fat.

****Assuming that you're taking them as prescribed, etc.

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Meh, I wouldn't bother working unless you really need the cash. High school type summer jobs mean ****-all to the people recruiting for internships in college. Take a road trip to Argentina or something.

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pennglock
Meh, I wouldn't bother working unless you really need the cash. High school type summer jobs mean ****-all to the people recruiting for internships in college. Take a road trip to Argentina or something.

Why not do that when you're legal and out of the house? Experience in retail, host work, waiting tables, bar tending all get you a better job her in CS. I firmly believe in seeing the world, but it worked far better for me when it wasn't with parents...

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lemmywinks
It's 2 more summers until I go off to college. How should I maximize my summers?

try learning a new language. at least learn to write and read it.

sounds like youre still young so your brain should absorb better.

i would suggest spanish

also , taking some of these classes at a jc you'll have tons of fun with your classmates. who knows some cute looking girl sitting next to you you can hang out with.

tdangio

Reaction score
Go climb some mountains. Summiting is very rewarding and it doesn't cost much if you're in the right area.

dune

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pennglock

I'm learning a lot while working at parties/clubs. The more you do it, the more responsibility you get, and things go wrong all the time. It's 1am. You've got a full house. Your bar just ran out of Red Bull. What do you do?

Also, cute chicks, who aren't afraid to do some work.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads