• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reviewing Kent Wang pocket squares

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Our own Kent Wang has gone into the pocket square business, an endeavor that I applaud. I know a number of folks here have purchased from him, but I had not until this week when I ordered this cotton square:

368246111_20ebeaa66c.jpg

Kent was superfast in his shipping; I received the square last night. It measures at roughly 12.25" square, which I think is a good size for a cotton square. One could go a little bigger than that, but I find a lot of cotton and linen squares tend to be larger than I like, which often limits you to more formal folds in order to avoid undue pocket bulge.

I read some early knocks on Kent's handrolling, which he said had been addressed somewhat. I thought I would post these comparisons to other cotton squares I have. I think that is only fair as I believe cotton would be more difficult to roll than a finer linen. Backs only:

Front and back at the corners:

From left to right is a Jim Thompson print square, a Lehner, a Roda and the Wang. In my opinion the Lehner (not surprisingly) is the most elegant, however it is a much finer cotton than the Wang I have, and that makes a big difference. I think the Wang is superior to the Jim Thompson print and while the roll is not as fine as the Roda, I think his sewing is better. The Wang square I have gives you a plumper roll, which is quite attractive from the front.

My wife, who is quite skilled at handwork, also examined Kent's square and gave his seamstress high marks.

I recommend Kent's squares. I think they provide good price to value in the retail pocket square market.

Final picture, folded and 'in action' in a blazer pocket:

p1010234pl9.jpg

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
My wife, who is quite skilled at handwork, also examined Kent's square and gave his seamstress high marks.

Perhaps he will raise her salary from 10 cents to 11 cents per hour.

I have the same square and really like it. The solid color/subtle pattern combination is just up my alley. I completely recommend buying this one while you can (assuming Kent's still offering them).

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I got my squares today - that same flower pattern and a solid ecru. I think they're great. I only wish I could get my hands on more colors.

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I picked up that same floral print as well. Good to hear that the quality is nice. Always happy to deal with SF members.

soileauj

Reaction score
I am far from an expert as I am just beginning to wear squares. I received mine yesterday and must say both my wife and I were quite impressed. The stitching was very nicely done. Also, a very nice personal note accompanied my order. The one thing I will say as a beginner, is that the linen and cotton seem to hold the folds better as my sife and I spent about 1.5 hours practicing different folds.

Kent, Thank You for a very nice product along with personable service and quick shipping. Another option which is nice is to be on a wait list for some of the desired.

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by soileauj
... my sife and I spent about 1.5 hours practicing different folds.

Your wife practiced pocket square folds with you for 1.5 hours? Wow, I am just amazed. I cannot ever imagine my wife doing anything other than rolling her eyes at me folding pocket squares. That's an amazing woman you have.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stu
Your wife practiced pocket square folds with you for 1.5 hours? Wow, I am just amazed. I cannot ever imagine my wife doing anything other than rolling her eyes at me folding pocket squares. That's an amazing woman you have.

Indeed. Where can I get one?

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Indeed. Where can I get one?
I believe Kent sells imported illegal laborers as well. Theyll pretty much do anything you want.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Alan: Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I find your assessment fair and accurate.

Soileauj: Yes, cotton and linen will hold a crease better than silk, which is desirable for a rigid fold like the three-point, but silk's resilience is preferred for folds such as the puff.

soileauj

Reaction score
Hey Stu she is pretty amazing. I see you are in PR. Well can you imagine a PR woman doing this with her man.. Yes is Puerto Rican...Anyway, she is really good that way, although I sometimes nedd to give her notice when I'm going to go shoppping; Like 2 recent instances where I bought my 1st Armani and them the pair of Zenga shoes.....All in all I am lucky..

Not to hi-jack this thread but I am very very glad I have found this forum...In some instances I'm not so far off the mark with my dressing and on the other hand I'm very new...i.e. Kent's pocket squares..my first time wearing them is next week and I must say I am quite comfortable starting off with the squares I've purchased from Kent...

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
soileauj said:
Hey Stu she is pretty amazing. I see you are in PR. Well can you imagine a PR woman doing this with her man.. Yes is Puerto Rican...Anyway, she is really good that way, although I sometimes nedd to give her notice when I'm going to go shoppping; Like 2 recent instances where I bought my 1st Armani and them the pair of Zenga shoes.....All in all I am lucky..
/QUOTE]

Well, I sure as heck cannot imagine my Puerto Rican wife doing that. If, as I understand it yours is Puerto Rican, I am even more amazed that she is helping you fold pocket squares. That is not meant to be a negative comment -- no quiero menospreciar a las boricuas -- it's just not something I see a Puerto Rican woman doing. And I have dated them almost exclusively since 1989, when I moved here.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I thought all the stuff about pocket squares and mexicans was a joke. Didn't realize he was actually selling them. ;p

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got a handwritten note crafted by a team of master artisans with my pocket squares!

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Alan and others: Do you prefer thinner or thicker fabrics? You mention you like the Lehner better as the fabric is finer. By 'finer', do you simply mean thinner or is there something else to it? I just purchased some cotton voile fabric that is very thin. Perhaps we'll be able to match the Lehner.

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I received my pocket squares today and I must say that I was impressed and can't wait for the chance to use them. Nice work Mr. Wang. I certainly look forward to ordering more from you and your team of master artisans!

No poem or recipe though
laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads