• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Review: Wolf vs. Goat 'Jim' shorts

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score
Initial thoughts on the WvG 'Jim' shorts (get it? gym shorts? it took me a while :embar: )

First off, sizing: I wear a size 32 in WvG Enzo chinos and shorts and a 30 in most pants and jeans. A small fits me perfectly. If I wanted a super-relaxed fit, I could probably do a medium, but I'd have to rely on the drawstring to keep them up. Small fits well in the waist and leaves plenty of room through the seat and legs (admittedly I have pretty small legs, but I doubt anyone but the most insane of powerlifters would take issue with the fit being too slim). I measure the inseam at 9.5" (above the knee but not immodestly so) and the leg opening at 12".

I got a pair in blue, which I'd describe as a classic navy. The picture below is a pretty good representation of how they in direct sunlight; they appear darker indoors. The material is a light- to medium-weight terry. It's not as fuzzy or as thick as Reigning Champ sweats. I like RC sweatshorts, but I end up basically abandoning them in the summer because they can feel too insulating on a particularly stifling day. The Jim shorts are light and breezy enough that I could probably go running in them in all but the hottest weather. I didn't feel like I was overheating while I was out running some errands or while driving around in a car that had been baking in the sun. The relaxed fit also helps.

I have one main (possibly idiosyncratic) requirement for sweatpants and sweatshorts, and that's a wide, ribbed waistband instead of a narrow, crinkly one; I don't really trust the latter to keep from riding up or sagging down when left unattended. The waistband on these definitely falls into the former category, and the shorts stayed in place without the need to adjust them throughout the day. Also, there are two stitches going around the middle of the waistband that appear to serve two critical functions: 1) they keep the drawstring in place in the middle so it can't end up anywhere weird (I've had the drawstring end up on the wrong side of the elastic on some shorts), and 2) the elastic itself can't shift or flip around on you (which sounds like a weird problem, but I have a pair of RC shorts where this is an issue and it's maddening).

Other details: the drawstring is oval (rather than a flat shoelace) and has a thick knot at the ends that's got some kind of treatment to keep it tied. The 'eyelets' for the drawstring (that's probably not the right term, but whatever) are reinforced with stitching all the way around and appear to have an extra reinforcement at the top and bottom. The hems are raw rather than bound but have a stitch in place to keep any fraying in check. Side note: the pockets aren't small, but they're also not huge. If you have an absurdly large phone (I have a Moto Z Play, which is a bit of a hulking behemoth in the world of phones) you might find a corner of it peeking out. Overall I didn't have trouble fitting the normal stuff in my pockets (wallet, keys, pocketknife, pen, chapstick), and nothing fell out when I was driving around, sitting, or moving. One of my favorite details - and it took me a while to catch this - is a small hidden interior pocket below the waistband behind the left pocket, sized to hold a housekey or a couple of coins securely (apologies for the awful quality of the detail picture below, but it's easier to show than try to explain further).

tl;dr: I'm a fan of WvG stuff, and these shorts are no exception. The fit is comfy, the materials feel nice, and more than anything the details make it feel like an impressive amount of consideration went into the design.

Awkward fit pic:

IMG_20170730_145319573_HDR-2.jpg

Detail shots (actual color is much darker)

Interior pocket, reinforced waistband stitching:
IMG_20170731_092920097.jpg

Hem reinforcement:

IMG_20170731_092950041.jpg

edit: forgot about the 'disclosure' part: Mauro gave me these shorts to review in advance of their release; there's no compensation or incentive involved, and I have no financial stake or involvement in Wolf vs Goat.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads