• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Review of my 1st MTM shirt from Mytailor.com

jradic

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I've attached fit pictures below. I've washed the shirt 3 times prior to this pictures. This is the first shirt sent to me from Mytailor and they're asking about fit prior to completing the other shirts I ordered. I've Ironed the shirt however I'm guessing the wrinkles in the arm area is due to excess fabric? One thing i found is that the shirt feels quite blousey compared to the other MTM shirts I have. There seems to be alot of fabric in the waist area and excess in the back. I was wondering if I should also bring it in a bit on the sides (just under my chest area). Any feedback would be appreciated.

http://i690.photobucket.com/albums/v...Untitled-7.jpg

http://i690.photobucket.com/albums/v...Untitled-6.jpg

http://i690.photobucket.com/albums/v...Untitled-5.jpg

http://i690.photobucket.com/albums/v...Untitled-4.jpg

pocketprotector

Reaction score
I'm far from being an expert, but my first thought was, "That's MTM?" Definitely blousey, as you noticed.

jradic

Reaction score
Yeah I'm thinking of doing the following changes:
Chest -.25"
Waist -1"
Hips -1"

I measured my other MTM that has a good fit and just followed the same measurements. That should make it a more fitting shirt.

davesmystery

Reaction score
Just wondering, did you give them your exact measurements, or did you give them the measurements of another dress shirt that fits you well? I'm thinking that they may add a couple of inches in some dimensions so the shirt is not skin tight, so if you gave the latter it may account for the extra fabric. I think your analysis is right on however, removing an inch or so around the waist will reduce the blousing. Perhaps consider taking the arms in a half inch or so as well, if the arm holes are high enough you should be able to have a more snug fitting sleeve. Good luck with whatever you choose.

ChicagoMediaMan

Reaction score
I really don't think it looks all that bad. I've seen a lot worse. The shoulders and arms look really good. Take in the waist and chest a little bit and maybe have darts put in the back and it should look even better.

jradic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by davesmystery
Just wondering, did you give them your exact measurements, or did you give them the measurements of another dress shirt that fits you well? I'm thinking that they may add a couple of inches in some dimensions so the shirt is not skin tight, so if you gave the latter it may account for the extra fabric. I think your analysis is right on however, removing an inch or so around the waist will reduce the blousing. Perhaps consider taking the arms in a half inch or so as well, if the arm holes are high enough you should be able to have a more snug fitting sleeve. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Actually I had the tailor (Joe) take my measurements when he was in town. As mentioned, I am impressed with the arms and shoulders as well. Do the sleeves look too long? One thing I plan to change is the cuff (I was able to slip my hands out w/o needing to take off the cuff links)

ChicagoMediaMan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jradic
Actually I had the tailor (Joe) take my measurements when he was in town. As mentioned, I am impressed with the arms and shoulders as well. Do the sleeves look too long? One thing I plan to change is the cuff (I was able to slip my hands out w/o needing to take off the cuff links)

I think the sleeves look just fine.

I met with Joe in person a few years ago and my shirts came out somewhat similar to how your shirts came out. Maybe slightly less blousy, not that your shirts are extremely blousy or anything. I had to take mine to my tailor and have darts put in and they then looked great.

JG000

Reaction score
Looks better than OTR, but not quite MTM

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChicagoMediaMan
I really don't think it looks all that bad. I've seen a lot worse. The shoulders and arms look really good. Take in the waist and chest a little bit and maybe have darts put in the back and it should look even better.

Why would you put darts in if you could actually have the shirt fit properly through proper cut for the rest of the order?

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jradic

Take it to Joe again next time he's in town. Tell him how you want it changed. He'll get it right and you won't have to guess and make more adjustments next time.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
nice fit
of course with out the collar buttoned, we can tell how the collar fits

sleeves are long mayb 1/2-3/4" cuffs are too large by 1/2"

leave the chest. due to your posture, darts would help. otherwise
waist -1.5:
hip -1

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the shirt looks great. It's not blousy at all, except maybe by Styleforum standards. I do agree with the "take it in an inch" posts above.

I really like Hemrajani/Mytailor. When they measured me, I told them I wanted the shirt slim and they nailed it the first time. Good call on getting measured in person instead of ordering online, too -- cuts out a lot of trial-and-error money wasting!

ChicagoMediaMan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by scurvyfreedman
Why would you put darts in if you could actually have the shirt fit properly through proper cut for the rest of the order?

Sure, for future shirts or if this shirt is going to be completely re-made. However, if the current shirt was going to be altered to fit better, taking in the sides and chest isn't going to completely get rid of all that extra fabric in the back.

ChicagoMediaMan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by scurvyfreedman
Take it to Joe again next time he's in town. Tell him how you want it changed. He'll get it right and you won't have to guess and make more adjustments next time.

True, but the only downside is it might be another 6 months or longer before he comes back to town.

NH_Clark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd suggest washing it a couple of times.

I received my trial shirt from them and the fit in chest and arms is great.. but got better once I washed it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads