• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Review of Matthew Farnes, the Savile Row Artisan

pwy95a

Reaction score
Gents,

I've recently finished my fourth and final fitting with Matthew Farnes, the Savile Row Artisan (www.thesavilerowartisan.com) in NYC (he was here visiting clients).

I will post pics and commentary soon. Overall, it has been a great experience.

FYI, the suit's details:
* 1B single breasted navy fresco
* Unlined (edges beautifully piped in brown silk -- this is one of Matthew's points of distinction)

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have really liked what I have seen of his. I am looking forward to your update.

Fraiche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mind sharing the approx price range?

pwy95a

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
There's a typo in the url: http://thesavilerowartisan.com/

Good catch. Thanks CG.

Regarding price, he charges approx 2-3 GBP for 2-piece suit (unlined, which tends to cost approx 250 GBP extra).

You guys have seen his website. The workmanship is impeccable, he's really nailing down a "house style" that blends his Huntsman pedigree with Italian soft tailoring, and there are few who can do unlined as beautifully as he can.

Pics to come, might be a bit, but I think you will appreciate the wait.

kraftar

Reaction score
pwy95a, have you heard from Matthew recently? His website has been down/gone for around 2 weeks....

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Nice avatar. Who made?

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But has he now gone out of business?

His website disappeared over two weeks back, his email does not work and despite having visited this Board he has not seen fit to respond to thread concerning his status.

Very odd but I suspect that he no longer trades.

pwy95a

Reaction score
Guys, I have scoured the Earth trying to find Matthew. The last I saw of him was in person, in NYC, in Jan 2011. We had two fittings and my suit looked 90% finished.

Then he completely disappeared. Website down, doesn't answer calls...I've tried calling Holland and Sherry several times (their Savile Row offices have fitting rooms where he meets clients) and asked for his whereabouts, and they claim they haven't seen him in months. I even contacted the WSJ reporter who did a piece on him to see if any of his other customers also got left in the dark.

My only explanation is that he is being advised not to trade while the lawsuit is taking place, so as not to jeopardize the money at stake that the plaintiff could take from him. For me, that makes sense over him "skipping out" because, in my case, my suit was 90% complete yet he had only taken 50% payment.

Anyone heard anything else?

andreyb2

Reaction score
Another independent UK tailor who collected deposits and disappeared?... this becomes really tiring... and really bad for the trade in general. :(

I heard somewhere (probably on this very forum) that Mr Farnes does alterations for Huntsman, and also some work for Hitchcock Jr. So, if you really want to track him down... keep in mind, though, that these are just rumors, nothing more.

Andrey

WSRH

Reaction score

Guys, I have scoured the Earth trying to find Matthew. The last I saw of him was in person, in NYC, in Jan 2011. We had two fittings and my suit looked 90% finished.

Then he completely disappeared. Website down, doesn't answer calls...I've tried calling Holland and Sherry several times (their Savile Row offices have fitting rooms where he meets clients) and asked for his whereabouts, and they claim they haven't seen him in months. I even contacted the WSJ reporter who did a piece on him to see if any of his other customers also got left in the dark.

My only explanation is that he is being advised not to trade while the lawsuit is taking place, so as not to jeopardize the money at stake that the plaintiff could take from him. For me, that makes sense over him "skipping out" because, in my case, my suit was 90% complete yet he had only taken 50% payment.

Anyone heard anything else?

Hi, I am in exactly the same situation as you. I actually just sounded the alarm on another post in this forum.

I am also based in NYC. Please let me know if you would like to discuss further. Perhaps Together we can solve this mystery.

bentloy

Reaction score
I too am based in NY and I too am not getting a response form Matthew either by email or phone and I am 2 fittings in. Quite disappointing because I thought he was worth taking a chance on! I am going to be in LOndon soon so I am sure we can track him down.

Matthew - if you are out there, it would be good to know what is going on.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I too am based in NY and I too am not getting a response form Matthew either by email or phone and I am 2 fittings in. Quite disappointing because I thought he was worth taking a chance on! I am going to be in LOndon soon so I am sure we can track him down.

Matthew - if you are out there, it would be good to know what is going on.
He is no longer in business and I believe works for Huntsman.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads