Review: Custom leather briefcase from Narragansett Leathers in Maine, US.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, May 9, 2011.

1. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

If I'm reading the website right, the standard brief is around $300, I would have to guess this customized version is $400, or perhaps around $500 at the most. Sounds like a good deal. I would much rather have this than a Mulholland, Filson, or more expensive leather case.

+1

Great bag, Moo!

2. YoungAmerican

YoungAmerican Senior member Dubiously Honored

I bought one of these for my wife when she graduated from law school, and it's really wonderful.

It isn't fine - it's tough. But absolutely beautiful, and at a very reasonable price. Highly recommended.

3. srivats

srivats Senior member

Here is a photo of their medium brown case -- pics are from AAAC
    Pretty sure one of these would make an excellent present for my dad this year, and for me following graduation next year. I tried to get Drake over at Give Me Indiana to register over here if for no other reason than to post his, but no luck. I think he uses it daily, though. Here's a cool picture: [​IMG]

4. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Boxercise Toughguy

It's about time I need a new bag. The bag looks stunning. Any comment on its weight, Moo?
    [​IMG] about 5 pounds.
    If I'm reading the website right, the standard brief is around $300, I would have to guess this customized version is $400, or perhaps around $500 at the most. Sounds like a good deal. I would much rather have this than a Mulholland, Filson, or more expensive leather case.
    +1 Great bag, Moo!
    I think the price:value ratio is rather good for this one. [​IMG] I am not 100% sure I understand what something like SAB or even Papworth would offer for 3-4x the price that would have 3-4x the benefit.

5. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

Great looking case, Moo. Thanks for sharing the great pics, too.

6. Mr. Moo

Great looking case, Moo. Thanks for sharing the great pics, too.

Thank you. [​IMG]

7. w.o.e.is.me.

w.o.e.is.me. Senior member

Moo, is your bag more red or brown?
    it looks reddish (which I would prefer) but i wasn't sure if that was just the photography.

8. Mr. Moo

Moo, is your bag more red or brown? it looks reddish (which I would prefer) but i wasn't sure if that was just the photography.
    More red/orange than brown. Very close to London tan from SAB.

9. ljrcustom

ljrcustom Senior member

Moo, Great review and thanks for sharing. I especially liked seeing the pictures that show the briefcase being made. Looks like a very nice bag at a very reasonable price. Hope you post pics of it in the future so we can see how it holds up over time. Enjoy the briefcase. -LR

10. romafan

romafan Senior member

moo - nice bag! i debated trying narragansett. bags look very nice, priced very attractively, but wasn't completley sold on the default design. your custom design looks good [​IMG] i [​IMG]their maine locale. how long did yours take? [​IMG] i ended up going to your neck of the woods - after a bit of a wait and some ups sanfus my glaser is scheduled to be delivered today!

11. srivats

srivats Senior member

i ended up going to your neck of the woods - after a bit of a wait and some ups sanfus my glaser is scheduled to be delivered today!

[​IMG] What model did you get?

Please post photos of the glaser!

12. Mr. Moo

Moo,
    Great review and thanks for sharing. I especially liked seeing the pictures that show the briefcase being made. Looks like a very nice bag at a very reasonable price. Hope you post pics of it in the future so we can see how it holds up over time. Enjoy the briefcase.

-LR

Thank you. Future photos will be posted.

moo - nice bag! i debated trying narragansett. bags look very nice, priced very attractively, but wasn't completley sold on the default design. your custom design looks good [​IMG] i [​IMG]their maine locale. how long did yours take? [​IMG] i ended up going to your neck of the woods - after a bit of a wait and some ups sanfus my glaser is scheduled to be delivered today!

Thanks. It took a month from order to delivery.

Glaser makes great bags from what I hear so I'm sure you won't be disappointed. Which did you order?

13. Patek

Patek Senior member

I wonder if he will do larger bags. His prices are really good.

14. Mr. Moo

I wonder if he will do larger bags. His prices are really good.

I am not sure about larger bags - shoot him an e-mail.

15. comrade

comrade Senior member

I bought one of these for my wife when she graduated from law school, and it's really wonderful.
    . But absolutely beautiful, and at a very reasonable price. Highly recommended.

"It isn't fine - it's tough"

It's a beautiful bag, but it doesn't look fine. For a bag that is
    fine and tough, I will suggest Ottino in Florence. Mine is over 25 years old. The lock
    still works. I bought mine with a zipper portfolio which goes inside. In the picture,
    my bag is more or less the same color as Moo's and identical to the black briefcase
    standing on its' end ( picture #7 top )

http://www.ottino.com/galleria.html