• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Review: Custom Leather Briefcase from J.P Marcellino

Rankiz

Reaction score
I have received my custom made briefcase from Joseph P. Marcellino. (Previously called Strong Eye Leather). All his bags are fully hand made and hand stitched. The whole briefcase is made of veg tanned leather from Herman Oak, except the inside divider. Here it's used chrome leather (lighter), and the top is finished with a 10 oz bridle strip for added support.

Fist I ordered a custom briefcase based on a picture of another briefcase and added some details to it, but it did not come out the way I expected. However, Joseph told me that he never wanted anyone to be the slightest dissatisfied with his briefcases and offered to make me a new briefcase instead. This time I took a briefcase design he already had made (John Locke), and I customized it to my liking, by adding a back newspaper pocket, a middle divider and inside pockets.

I am very pleased with the bag, this is one sturdy piece of craftsmanship. It seems like Joseph also liked it, because he added the custom briefcase design I ordered to his website. :)

Specs:
Chestnut veg bridle leather
16x12x2/2 (4")
chrome divider with bridle support strip (initials on right)
solid brass hardware with brass round lock and key
finished, burnished black edges
Top d rings, adjustable straps with shoulder pad
2 front removable buckle straps
Full Newspaper pocket with bottom strap holes
Custom dust cover

I also asked if he could take some pictures of the progress.

Last edited:

Rankiz

Reaction score
Here are some more pictures taken in my backyard.

With the shoulder strap attached:

The shoulder strap very sturdy compared to other briefcases I've seen, since it's stitched together by two leather pieces.

Rolf

Reaction score
A very nice briefcase indeed. May I ask how old you are?

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just placed an order for a slightly wider version of their tan Adam Smith 1222. We'll see how it turns out and I'll report back.

Rankiz

Reaction score

I just placed an order for a slightly wider version of their tan Adam Smith 1222. We'll see how it turns out and I'll report back.

Oh, I forgot to mention that Joseph have agreed to give a 10% discount to all Styleforum members, PM me if you want the discount code.

A very nice briefcase indeed. May I ask how old you are?

I'm 19.
Is 16 inches a good size?

Depends on how tall you are really, I'm 5'7 ft so I could have gone smaller, but it's all down to personal preference.

Last edited:

Septimus

Reaction score
So, I'm thinking about getting a briefcase from J.P. Marcellino. Yours is gorgeous. Any follow-up thoughts or reviews after a few months? Also do you mind my asking what it cost (and asking for the SF members discount code)?

unidlewild

Reaction score
long time lurker here, just registered myself.After reading your review, I pulled the trigger on the Durkheim. I'll do a follow up review once I get my briefcase.

Goliath27

Reaction score
Sorry for the bump, but would you be able to post some pictures of the inside of this one?

I'm looking for a maker who can provide something with room for a laptop/paperwork/etc and some pen slots so they aren't just tossed around.

JP Marcellino

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Sorry for the bump, but would you be able to post some pictures of the inside of this one?

I'm looking for a maker who can provide something with room for a laptop/paperwork/etc and some pen slots so they aren't just tossed around.

Here is a link to my website to see various types of inside Natural Lining and Pocket photos. I make a variety of slots, pockets, etc.

Here are some quick photos i have from an English Bridle briefcase i just finished where this one customer, a professional, that needed to holster a 1911 pistol in a briefcase. I made a basic slot holster from black bridle leather that is very good with metal and scratches, and i stitched this into the inside compartment so he could get right to it as he opened the bag. I will update this thread with more pictures soon. For now here is the holster and other pictures.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads